Mixing FF and EBM

DaisyDoo

Reaction score
Was just wondering if you are combination feeding can you put your ebm in with the ff or should you keep the two seperate?

I know it sounds like a silly question - sorry, just wasnt sure!!

I kept them separate. However many feeds of EBM I could manage to express and then supplementing with formula feeds.

No you shouldnt mix them, HV told us not to. X

tapatalking x

I've always mixed them and never had a problem? I was told its what they do with prem babies in neonatal xx

Sally, I actually don't know whether you can or can't, I just assumed you couldn't.

Daisydoo, I imagine the formula manufacturer would have the definitive answer - there should be a careline number on the box

Xxx

Give HV a ring, they will be able to tell you x

tapatalking x

Google tells me the reason it's not advised is because formula goes off so quickly and can't be reused so you run the risk of wasting loads of EBM. Of course however we all know that Google isn't a substitute for professional advice so give your HV a ring and double check :) xx

Thank you! Ive kept them seperate up to now so maybe i'll just play it safe and keep on doing that. Reason for asking was baby turned down a feed tonight (still getting to know the signs!!) and it was my ebm - i couldve cried tbh!! So i thought maybe it would be better if she was getting a little in each feed rather than storing it all up for one and running the risk of losing it!

You can keep EBM at room temp for 6 hours hun - so if LO turns it down you're ok for 6h (if heated I usually keep for 2-3h). Whereas if you add formula you only have 1h when babies saliva touches the bottle (this rule doesn't apply to EBM). If in doubt, give EBM a sniff or a wee taste and it will go curdled like cows milk and taste nasty if its off, normally it's like sweet milk xx

You can keep EBM at room temp for 6 hours hun - so if LO turns it down you're ok for 6h (if heated I usually keep for 2-3h). Whereas if you add formula you only have 1h when babies saliva touches the bottle (this rule doesn't apply to EBM). If in doubt, give EBM a sniff or a wee taste and it will go curdled like cows milk and taste nasty if its off, normally it's like sweet milk xx

Wss x

tapatalking x

Ooooh i didnt know that - thats fab, thank you!

The mother2mother website or kellymom have great guidelines if you're ever unsure about the storage of EBM :) they are like a bible to me! Lol xx

oh lovely thank you - i will pop over there and have a look!

Just out of interest, if you do ask your HV will you let us know what she says? Xx

Yes of course - providing i remember to ask that is, the old brain isnt what it used to be haha!!

I was up at 5.15 this morning expressing, baby woke up for a feed and my boobs went into overdrive, as soon as she was winded i was straight down the stairs and on the pump, such a relief!!!

I keep them separate so i can keep track of how much of each shes having x

Tapatalking :-D Can't see tickers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back