Mixed weaning?

Drummers_wife

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
Ive wanted to do blw from the off but Quinn gets too frustrated and starts crying so ive now started puree & finger foods mixed x
So this is how today went
Morning - porridge (spoon fed) & banana self fed
Lunch fruit pure & yoghurt (spoon fed) & cucumber self fed
Dinner half a heinz pouch (spoon fed) & steamed carrot batons

I tried the carrot battons on his own but he jus cried an cried gave him some milk then some puree then he started to eat the carrot x
But he had milk feed an hour before so he wasn't starving iykwim??
Am I doing right or wrong by mixing?! Feeling very lost with it all xx

Quinns proud mammy xx Tapatalking xx

I mix feed too. Porridge with mashed fruit in the morn spoon food, a finger food lunch then a spoon fed dinner

Some days she cries when I give her finger food so I go grab something I can spoon feed her and she is fine. Other days at dinner she cries if I spoon feed her so have to rustle up some finger food! Strange little creatures.

Personally I think mix feeding is the best way to do it. They get the best of both worlds x

We mix feed here too! Weetabix for brekky spoon fed then some fruit and a bit of toast self fed.

I'm trying to work towards a non purée meal for either lunch or tea but just like lynds said, if she's not in the mood and wants feeding quickly, it has to be a purée first! I give her finger foods at each meal.

Defo works for us and agree its the best of both worlds! X x

We mix feed too. I tried purely BLW but it wasn't working m often gagged and I couldn't cope with the stress of explaining to people that she wasn't choking and other people flapping so we switched to puréed.

Anyway, breakfast is shredded wheat spoon fed or toast which she will happily munch on.
Lunch, cheese sandwich/pizza toast and fruit (finger foods)
Dinner will be something spoon fed with fruit for dessert which she will feed herself
xx

We do BLW.

I think as long as you offer a variety of finger foods as well as purees you are fine!

I have never pureed any "proper" food for James - he has always had his food whole but cut to size, I do sometimes "help" him with his weetabix or yoghurt by loading the spoon. People are always surprised to see him chomping on steak or shoveling rice into his mouth lol.

The only thing I have to feed James is banana, he wont touch it whole and even mashed I have to feed it to him.... I am thinking to just stop banana as he just doesn't like it.

Occasionally we have an Ella's Kitchen fruit pouch and as he isn't used to purees I have to feed him a little before he'll feed himself.

I think each baby is individual and you have to figure what works!

xxxx

Last edited:
We've always mixed TW and BLW. I used to do this at every meal (e.g porridge then toast, omelette then fromage frais, spoon fed family dinner then fruit).

Just lately, he's been wanting to spoonfeed himself and is doing very well! The majority of stuff is finger food now, but one meal per day (usually dinner before his bath due to the mess!) he spoonfeeds himself a meal. He won't let me feed him at all now, not even to load the spoon!!

Xx

My LO isn't quite six months yet and we started on TW. We have introduced some finger foods too as he has been picking things up and chomping on them for a while now. Some days he's happy to chomp on a bit of veg, other days he just wants me to feed him some puree and others he wants to feed himself. Although this usually ends up with puree all over him and the kitchen and him using his spoon as a teether!

I've initally found weaning quite overwhelming. I didn't feel like I knew what I was doing and no one told me what to do like they had done with FF when we had LO in the hospital. Now I just go with whatever LO wants to do that day. It's more about trying lots of different tastes and textures at this stage than actually getting them to eat to sustain them.

Also in terms of timing, my LO feeds every four hours and I've found it works quite well to have food about 2 hours after a feed. Although it does sometimes feel like all I'm doing is feeding him!

we did a mix, and looking back on it I'm really glad we did, F is almost 25 months now as we had his 2yr check today and the HV was surprised when she asked if he could use a spoon and I responded with "and a knife and fork" as we always gave him cutlery too, so what ever I was feeding him he could also try and fed himself, along with dipping his steamed veg sticks in! One thing we did was not use stage one products (if using jar/pouch, other than fruit ones) as with the finger food they have to deal with the lumps anyway, and my homemade meals were mashed rather than pureed!

good luck and have fun :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back