Missed twins chances

Maaaaaac

Reaction score
I know it goes through everyone's head but i cannot shake it! I had an early scan at 7 weeks and dating scan at 12 weeks and both showed one baby, but why do i feel like ive two?

My husband keeps rattling on about twins being missed and hes convinced im having twins no matter how many times i shake the ultrasound photos at him. This is my first pregnancy so i have nothing to base it on. Ive had round ligament pain from week 4 that Gp confirmed and did say it was a bit early. Ive felt movement for last week or so even though its my first and flutters from about week 11. I really do have a bump, only four months and i look six months pregnant. I dont think its fluid or anything because ive lost weight from start of pregnancy and im a bit big not skinny by any means. These are things i just know arent as common in first pregnancy as i cant base my sickness levels or anything on anything else. People have asked me in work am i having twins and i know thats a silly reason but why do people keep asking?

So anyone have missed twins even after scans? Am i crazy to even think it?

Hey!

I dont know of anyone myself thats missed a twin on a scan..

BUT! A school friend thought she was having twins from her dating scan.
She had another scan at 15wks due to a slight bleed and infact there was a third baby! Lol

She had triplets :) they are coming up 2yrs old now x

Oh my gosh, crazy! Im very thankful to have one baby and i feel bad thinking there might be two when many ladies to even have one!

Im sure its jjst the one in there for you :)

I was convinced id have twins! Both times!
But i didn't haha xx

Last edited:
Why do our brains do this to us, dont we have enough to think about haha!

Haha i no!!!

I blame my mum! She was like 'well im a twin it skips a generation so i bet ull have twins!!!' So she planted the sees in my head haha! X

I had a larger bump than I perhaps should have for 1st pregnancy and showed really early - I got a lot of work colleagues and family asking if I was sure it wasn't twins or I'd got my dates way out! There's definitely just one in here though, unless the twin has been hiding exactly behind the other in the same position each scan! ;-)

I don't think they would miss at 12 weeks... however first pregnancy I had a scan at 6 weeks that showed one baby and one heartbeat... at 12 weeks (2 days before my scan was due) I had a pain and massive bleeding... I was rushed to hospital with suspected miscarriage and when I got there they scanned me and baby was fine in there... later I realised they had written into my notes that it was a query multiple pregnancy loss... so basically they think I had lost a twin but they're not sure, however my mw said that that much bleeding would've had to have a cause. my brother had a twin who had been lost at 11 weeks. but by 12 weeks I don't think they would miss a twin.

I thought I might be up until 28 weeks because my bump was (is) so big and I haven't had scans so it was a possibility. Also on a site about weight gain in pregnancy I constantly have been weighing more than I should for one baby but slap bang in the middle of "ideal" weight gain for twins lol.

However the (stand in) midwife at 28 weeks had a good feel and measured my bump and laid down I was only measuring 27cm. And then my regular midwife came on Thursday and had a good feel, found the heart beat straight away with the pinnard, and measured my bump (30cm at 31 weeks) so I really doubt there's another hiding lol. I think my bump just looks big because my stomach muscles are rubbish and don't hold anything in lol. Plus I'm normally a size 8 and 5ft 5 so was fairly petite so I think it makes the bump look bigger.

Last edited:
My bump was huge with my son when I was 16 weeks. I had thought it might be twins this time because I was feeling so unwell but just one there. Maybe your mind is playing tricks on you

Thanks guys. I feel a bit silly lol, just cant shake it, convinced i can feel my uterus up just at my belly button! Hopefully its just cause its all new to me, ive nothing to base anything on. Hopefully. Lolol!

There is of course the fact it could be gestational diabetes as that makes you seem a lot bigger than what you are. Do you have to have a test for it? I wouldn't worry too much though I doubt they would have missed two babies in there! X

Hi hon, just jumping over to see how all the October mummies are getting on. Hope you're doing ok?!

Yes twins can be missed, I've read loads of stories where the 2nd one wasn't seen until 20 week scan. We had it confirmed that I was in fact likely carrying twins when we had our mmc and the 2nd one wasn't seen as was hiding behind the other 😕

Awww :( sorry to hear that. Ny husband has been reading up on twins being missed until 20 week scan, i dont know why hes so convinced! Just a few weeks to wait until scan! Haha its so daft.

Awk how you doing? Im just ticking along nothing too much to report. Starting to feel more movement now and bump is def getting bigger!

Just thought I'd update you guys on the twin feeling saga!

So I said to my GP at my 16 week appointment about twins, she reassured me that scans in this day and age are very rarely wrong and to not panic, it is my first baby so it will all feel new. She did look for a second heartbeat on doppler though! That was very nice of her! lol. I told her about bump and she admitted that my uterus was higher than she expected for one baby and that it was unusual but not unheard off to be feeling movements so early at first baby (also cause i've a bit of fat of my tummy, she said that bit very delicately!) but not to worry. I like her, she doesn't make me feel crazy!

I measured right for twins throughput DS's pregnancy. My MW even said she would have suspected twins if I hadnt had a scan. He was a big boy but there is only one of him, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back