Missed Miscarriage - when did baby's heartbeat stop?

Mummyof3tobe

Reaction score
Hi ladies.

Since I had my MMC last month something has been troubling me. I had my ultrasound at 11+4 and the baby had stopped growing at 6-7 weeks. I found it hard to deal with that I had possibly been carrying around a dead baby for up to 5 weeks without knowing. In fact, I was convinced I was getting bigger and symptoms increasing. They had only slowed down/less noticeable the week before the scan.

I asked the doctor at my referral before d&c if it was possible that the baby had only recently died and the growth maybe slowed down. All she could say was baby stopped growing at 6-7 weeks (therefore implying it died 4-5 weeks before). The reason I asked is because before I had my first mc I had a bleed at 9 weeks and the scan confirmed baby was ok, heartbeat fine but measuring 6-7 weeks. I was completely certain of my dates as found out at 12dpo! I lost this baby a week later.

Anyhow, my point. I've recently read that after the baby dies it 'degenerates' (apologies for poor choice of word) by the sane number of weeks that its died. Eg. If baby dies at 11 weeks, in 2 weeks time it would measure 9 weeks. Here is an extract of what I read:-

A 'missed miscarriage' is when the baby dies but the woman's cervix stays closed, there is no bleeding and the baby continues to stay inside the uterus. Some people also refer to this as a 'silent miscarriage'. A missed miscarriage is not usually discovered until several days or weeks after the baby has died. The baby does not grow and the size of the woman's uterus does not increase. Some women will notice that their pregnancy signs (tender breasts, nausea, tiredness etc.) disappear, but others will continue to 'feel pregnant' if the placental tissue continues to release hormones into their system (including the hormone that makes a pregnancy test turn 'positive'). A few women will not experience as many early pregnancy discomforts (which can be normal) making their physical changes harder to detect. In many cases, the woman will believe that her pregnancy is progressing, as her body continues to carry the baby, not recognising or reacting to the loss.
After several days or weeks, the woman may start to notice a brownish vaginal discharge as the baby and placenta begin to degenerate, or an ultrasound might be performed before this happens, showing the baby is smaller than expected for the stage of pregnancy, with no heartbeat present . Occasionally, the first sign is bright red vaginal blood loss, because the miscarriage is becoming 'inevitable' with possibly some cramping and 'period-like' pain.
Once the baby dies with a missed miscarriage, they start to shrink at the same rate they would have grown had the pregnancy progressed normally. For example, if the baby died at 12 weeks and the miscarriage was found at 14 weeks, the baby usually shrinks to about a 10 week size. The person performing the ultrasound will usually be able to establish approximately when your baby died.

For me personally it provides me with some comfort/hope that baby died more recently than suggested as I struggle with the idea it died so many weeks before. Has anyone else heard this theory???

Hi I'm sorry fir ur losses I to have had 2 missed miscarriages first one I thought I was 10 weeks the baby stopped at 5.5 weeks but the sac continued to grow etc second one I knew exactly how far I was and I had a scan at 7 weeks baby had a heartbeat I then had another scan at 1o weeks and baby had died at 7-8 weeks :-( , I know sometimes the baby can shrink and the sac continues to grow hence why u still get the pregnancy symptoms I had a gd bump at 10 weeks its on this sight in the tri1 bump pics somewhere breaks my heart t think my body just carries on as normal wen the baby has died such false hope its horrible, u will drive urself nuts thinking about all the stuff that goes with miscarriage , in the end I just thought my babies were to precious for this life and needed to go to the next for reasons beyond my control and that it was just not meant to be and in the future that reason will become apparent and that there was probably something wrong with my babies and they would have not been abe to survive outside my body as much as I hate to say this but I am grateful in some respect that it happened sooner rather than later cos I don't know if I could come back from a later loss or having to make a decision later on down the line about ending my pregnancy cos there was summet seriously wrong , this all helps me lots and I know it was nothing I did or didn't do , again I'm sorry for ur losses take care xxx

Hi, i'm sorry for your losses. I take some comfort from reading your post, i was scanned at 10+4 and baby was 7+3, i didn't miscarry until i would have been 12+4. Similar to you, it hurt that i had been carrying my baby so long, i felt i should have 'known'.

My symptoms continued until i was around 11weeks. My mind can't work out when i actually lost the baby from the rate above, probably between 8-9 weeks.

Hope you're Ok Xxxxx

I know exactly how you feel I found out my baby had died some time before at a scan at 11+3, which I had because of brown spotting. They didn't tell me when baby died, just said some weeks ago, I did see baby's heartbeat at about 7 weeks, there's and my dates didn't match.
I often wonder what I was doing when my babys heart stopped :-(
I still had all my symptoms, sickness etc, right up until the second part of medical management. My sac and placenta kept growing too xx

It can be hard to deal with if you do not know exactly when your baby passed away.....

with my first mc I was 7w2d and had had some bleeding - went to get a scan and they said the baby only measured 5 weeks but had a heartbeat!!! I was also very sure of my dates from charting etc. I then lost that baby the very next day!

with the second mc I was 10w2d but my symptoms had started to go at about 8 weeks and I was desperately trying to convince myself all was ok but don't think I really believed it was....but I started to get brown spotting which turned bright red - this was on a Friday - but the hospital wouldn't see me for a scan untilt he Monday - but I passed everything on the Sunday night so never got to see on the scan anything.....but from the hcg test they did hours after I passed everything my hcg levels indicated a 5-6 week pregnancy! so seems it was a mmc.....I didn't pass anything that big that would indicate a 10 week loss - so I let myself believe this was another 5-6 week loss or even a blighted ovum etc........I find comfort in thinking the baby didn't grow too big and wasn't too aware of 'being' if you see what I mean.

I had a scan at 6+4 and heard the heartbeat and was so happy then we went back 12 days later and baby measured 8+2 but no heartbeat so our little baby must just have gone. I found it was weird that there was a another human being growing inside me but then thought it was even weirder that I was walking about and going to work with a dead baby inside me :(

Xxx

Im so sorry this happended to you xx

I read something simular when i mmc in 2010 at 12 weeks ( well 11 plus 5)

They said baby was dated at 9 weeks ish but looking at it on the screen during scan you could instantly tell it wasnt right
It was an odd shape and so i think thete is something in this as soon as its died it will start to shrink back , change size and form for each week it remains in there

It doesnt have to be this way again hun, it just happened

I wish you lots of luck with ttc when your ready x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back