mineral water with formula

melhoney

Reaction score
is anybody else out there using mineral water like evian or volvic to mix with formulas? That's what most people do in France and so did not hesitate to do it here, but today I was told off by my HV!!!! :oops: :oops:

For me, there was no hesitation as I have seen so many people do it, but she made me feel so bad...like a careless mum!! :cry:

She even called me back saying she double-checked with dietetician and it's really wrong!!!

well, at least I sterilize the feeder and everything, ...I did not tell her that lots of people in France now don't even bother doing that...on advice of their doctors!!!!!!!!

am I really that bad!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
mel xx

Why aren't you supposed to use mineral water? :?

I've looked online and some sites say it's ok and some sites say the calcium levels are too high for their kidneys to cope with.

some bottled water contains quite hign magnesium levels which can be bad for their kidneys. personally i wouldn't use it - but its up to the individual to decide

I am aware of that...that's why you can't use any mineral water, but Evian and volvic in France are sold esp. for making feeds...In France, they even make special bottles on which you can fit the tit...it becomes a feeder.

It's just that our water here is soooooooo hard!!!! And on some website I found out that for such hard water, you need to boil it for 35 minutes if you want to make it drinkable for babies!! :shock:

so mineral I could trust seemed to be a better option for me and my daughter!!! :?

mel xx

I have heard that you're not supposed to use filtered water either :?

yes, I heard that as well!!!! :?
Well, it seems that if you're bottle feeding, you can't win...whatever you do! :cry:
mel xx

i'v just returned to australia and Abi had really upset tummy which i put down to water so got some bottled then found out you shouldn't use it cos of the sodium and mineral content so i went and got a brita filter and have been using that since it's worked and i haven't seen anything to say you can't i'll look on net now in a mo, i have also read that some mineral waters are suitable for feeding babies but it will say on the label

Manda x

Cor bloomin' heck there is so much advice out there? Why can't you filter it? How daft?

Tap water boiled in a kettle for Damien, not hurt him yet.... :roll:

Right... I'm a right google bug today...I found this:

Water
Water - at home:
Freshly boiled and cooled tap water is essential to make up the feed, and probably the safest and quickest option! Water that has been repeatedly boiled or artificially softened is not suitable for making your baby's bottle, because the minerals present become concentrated and may be harmful to your baby. Water that has been passed through some jug water filters may also be unsuitable, and may contain bacteria capable of producing toxins (substances which are harmful to your baby) that may not be destroyed by boiling the water. If you have any doubts about the suitability of a particular water filter for making up baby milks, it is always best to check directly with the filter manufacturer.

Water - away from home:

If you're unsure about the water supply, for example, if you are travelling abroad, then you may choose to use bottled water. There are some bottled waters that are suitable for infant feeding and you might see the statement "Suitable for infant feeding" on their labels. The mineral composition of bottled waters varies a great deal, so ask your healthcare professional which others are suitable for babies, or contact the SMA Careline for more information. Remember, this type of water will still need to be boiled before use. If you are at all concerned about the purity of the water available to make up your baby's feed, using one of the cartons of pre-prepared ready-to-use milks is an ideal alternative.

From here:http://www.smanutrition.co.uk/feedingweaning/bottlefeeding.htm

just found this :?

If you are using ready to feed formula or are preparing concentrated or powder formulas with bottled or filtered water, then you may need to give your baby fluoride supplements when he is older. Check with your doctor.

Ooo errr..... didn't realise there was so much involved in bottle feeding!
Cheers for being the Google bug today Urchin

Just searched the brita website and there filters are safe for making formula (i can relax now lol)

wow!!! :shock: so much info!!!!!!!!

thanks for that Urchin! let's boil it then :)

I have been reluctant to use my kettle because I can always see a bit of scale at the bottom! whatever I do to get rid of it, there is always a little bit left! :cry:

So for me, it will be boiled mineral water that is suitable for infant feeding!!!!!!!!! one hour before the next feed, let's goooooooooooo! :lol:

mel xx

I just buy ready mixed formula in the cartons. Just tip it in the bottle, warm it up and off you go :lol:

Hate faffing around so I'll happily ;pay a little bit extra for less stress :lol:

LOL you're just lazy :wink: :lol:

Don't blame you actually - if I could buy Omneo Comfort in cartons I would (yes another new milk, bye bye Farleys) !

I use these if I have to go out!! But it's much more expensive, I don't breastfeed at all, so I can't buy those carton boxes only!

mel xx

BubbleOne said:
I just buy ready mixed formula in the cartons. Just tip it in the bottle, warm it up and off you go :lol:

Hate faffing around so I'll happily ;pay a little bit extra for less stress :lol:

I'm the same, am such a lazy mare though and I also kept losing count of the spoonfuls, I only had to count up to 4 for goodness sake!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back