Milk or lack of?

pinkyprincess

Reaction score
Had my baby this morning but I have never had any sort of milk or colostrum cone through at all! He seemed to latch on and suckle ok but I don't know of he got anything? I also had a c section.

hi hon, massive congrats!!
Mv told me it can take 4 days to milk to come through (mine took 3) and even 1ml of colostrum keeps them going as they come out with a 'paacked lunch' so to speak. hope I'm right but others will confirm. i never saw any colostrum or milk til day 3, the first few days were tough til it came through but then he got milk drunk pretty quick.

good luck xxx

He should have got something...I remember with my first I didnt leak at all beforehand and worried but it was fine...you will find your milk will come in in the next few days then there'll be no mistaking lol

Hope everything is going ok :) sorry to hear you had a tough time but he's gorgeous and he'll be totally worth it :) xx

Agree with what the other ladies said Hun i Didn't leak at all until day 3 congratulations again xx

Try not to panic. I had a section and my baby was tongue tie so couldn't latch properly. Milk doesn't come in immediately anyways, but can take long from a section. I was trying to hand express at first and wasn't get anything, a pump got nothing either. Barely any colostrum was coming out. My milk took 5 days to come in. Lots of keeping baby latched (which was hard to ozzy) and lots of skin to skin will help.

How do u know if he's taken properly? Finding it hard to get private time for skin to skin as in hospital!

If he's sucking properly he'll take a lot of your nipple into his mouth (including some of the surrounding area) if he didn't you'd know cos it would keep slipping out his mouth. New babies need very little food for the first few days. Congrats again lovely xx

Congrats - as others said, try not to worry, i remember mine didn't come in for a few days - you will know about it when it does, i thought my boobs were going to explode.

At a pre-birth class they told me baby can go several days without anything (sounded a bit dodge to me). But just keep trying to latch him on, thats good skin to skin.

Also, you've been through the labour mill.....it will take time for your body to recover from that! Well done, i think it's amazing that you are able to type after what you've gone through.

How do u know if he's taken properly? Finding it hard to get private time for skin to skin as in hospital!

Don't worry about others, just go for it. I did'nt care when in hospital, whipped my boobs out all over hte place lol, just got shier after brinigng LO home for some reason! If you are having trouble moving coz of the section get a midwife to pass you LO.

Also, I coslept in hospital. Had LO on me most of the time. just put the rails up and just lay with your LO. LO will be covering you, and you can put a blanket over LO and you will be covered totally.

xxxxxx

I always rave about them! But forgot to mention, ask for the contact details of your local breastfeeding support team. I had someone come to my house, and they even came to me in hospital because my LOs latching was just not happening. they are fantastic, they will help you and will help you build your confidence with BFing too xxx

Don't worry at all that you can't see anything coming out of your boobs - I obsessed and worried about this for the first few days! I had midwives pinching and pulling my
Nipples to see I they could get something. They couldn't. Anyway, my baby thrived, he's still exclusively bf and it's all great!

Congrats :) x

He didn't want to really feed at all in the night last night when he did he just went to sleep or just lay there licking my nipples?

Did they give you an injection immediately after the section? It tells your body that you've had a baby. I'm sure you did.

The tummy is only the size of a marble at the moment so try not to worry, keep offering and relax. Drink lots of water and have loads of cuddles xxx

Emma is right hun, keep offering and try n relax. Babies have self-preservation and they won't starve themselves, if he was hungry honestly you would know becuase he would be screaming the place the down. If you get really really concerned and he isn't latching on at all maybe offer some milk in a cup (I had to do this with Oz coz of his tongue tie and he couldn't stay latched at all). But just keep baby close to you, it will happen hun, it can take alot of commitment to get established xxxx

Mums produce hardly any milk the first few days & even bottle fed babies hardly take anything, which is ok.

I had constant probs with eldest LO not latching properly in one boob when I breast fed, I had breast cancer & had an op in that boob which kinda held things up & ok boob couldn't keep up with demands of baby so had to stop after a few months.

So if you cant manage it dont worry, LO will be just as happy & healthy on formula, if you have to go down that route.

:)

Last edited:
congratulations.
Roughly how long is he going on for each time? has he had any dirty or wet nappys yet? if he has thats a sign that hes getting someting. A babys tummy is only baout the size of a malteeser at birth so dosn't take much till them up.

Thanks :) the midwife came today and said everything was fine. Just sending OH out tomorrow to get me some lansinoh. Anything I can use until that comes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back