Midwife

newbump

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how often you visit a midwife and when the first appointment is? What do they do at the first appointment?

Also Im due to fly on holiday at my 12 week mark, so will they do the scan before I go or when I get back, I am only away for 1 week?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Natalie

I see my midwife monthly right now. Normally, you should have your first appointment when you're between 8-12 weeks. I was in the UK when I conceived and they really didnt think it was necessary for me to come in before 12 weeks, so I decided to just wait and start my prenatal care when I got back in the United States. So I didn't see my midwife until I was like 15 weeks. At my first appointment they did lots of bloodwork and the routine things like taking a urine sample, weight, and blood pressure. I also got to hear my baby's heart beat!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, im just over 6 weeks so i guess i have a little while till i hear from them then!

What part of Florida are you from, I used to live in Kissimmee about 10 years ago

Natalie

Hi,

I have a feeling that this all depends on where you are. I went to the Drs last week and they said they see women after 6 weeks. He took my blood pressure, asked me if I smoke, have taken Folic Acid and if I have any Gynaecological probs etc and then said that from now on I go through a midwife at a local sexual health clinic. He said that pregnancy has been de-medicalised these days and that he thought it was a shame for Drs (but better for women) but he doesn't see many pregnant women after the first appointment. He said that since people tend to know when they conceived roughly these days, or at least know when their last period was they don't do the 12 week scan to estimate dates etc- the first scan I'll have if all goes to plan is at 20 weeks. Apparently I'm to phone the midwife and she'll come to my house (!) at about 8-9 weeks and do a chat/blood test. My first thought was "oh my God I'll have to really tidy the house"! Which is funny as I bet they do that to make you more relaxed!!

+++

I saw the doc at 4 weeks because we had measles in school so I had to have blood tests early. Then I saw the midwife by week 6.
First scan was a reassurance scan and therefore much earlier than normal at 7+ 5 days.
Second midwife app at 8+2 and my next scan is going to be 9+3.
I was scheduled for 13 weeks but they had to bring the app forward because the doc will be away!
I have to have more scans etc than most cos there's two in there but I've already had a fair bit of care/advice etc which is reassuring.
I would say - as long as you're in the system as pregnant (registered with someone and having free prescriptions/dental) just sit back and relax, they won't let you slip by unnoticed.

Hi newbump! :D
In the uk, you would normally see a midwife at the scan..usually they are midwives trained to spot any problems, so that they can call the doctor in if they spot anything. The first scan in the uk is usually at about 10 -14 weeks, and as long as you've seen your gp, he/she will set up the appointment for you and if the appointment doesn't suit, you will have the option to change it. then you would normally see your doctor and midwife on a rotating schedule, one every four weeks or so until about 32 weeks I think it is, at which stage you go to two weekly visits, still alternating between them, then at about 38 weeks it becomes weekly. You will need to decide where you want to have your baby before your 12 week app, so as they can book your bed, etc.You'll also need to take a urine sample with you, and the app could last around 2 hours. You'll be asked loads of questions, some of them really personal, but mostly about family medical history, and you'll also have the routine blood tests, which test for things like rubella immunity, syphilis, blood type, rhesus factor(+/-), hep B, and anaemia, and you'll probably be asked if you want an HIV test, as well,( this is routine now). You'll need to know the date of your last period, but if you're not exactly sure it's not a problem. You need to drink quite a bit of water before you go (and not go to the loo) because it's frustrating if you get sent out and told to drink more, and the hospital water always tastes foul :lol: you'll be asked about any miscarriages, and previous pregnancies, and also they'll ask about your diet, smoking, drinking, etc.They also generally ask about medication, and drug use, both legal and illegal, purely out of concern for the health of your baby. (This is all completely confidential, and they are trained to be non-judgemental on these matters). They will also discuss the blood test for Down's syndrome, which is usually done at around 16 weeks, so if you want it, you would give blood again at your next appointment. If you want a home birth, this is the time to mention it, and most doctors/midwives are usually fully supportive of this nowadays. The urine tests are for protein and sugar levels, because both/either can be indicators for possible problems, as well as urinary infections, which are extremely common in pregnancy. You will most likely be weighed and measured as well (for height). Blood pressure will be taken at every appointment. The midwife may also gently try to feel the baby through your abdomen, but it isn't painful, just weird! :lol:
Anyway, sorry it's a long reply, but I've put in all that I can think of, and I hope it's helpful. Good luck! :D
Love and Light
ukwahine

Thank you all for your replies, I have my first midwife appointment on wed 20th, she is coming to my home, which i thought was strange, but never mind! Im looking forward to making it all more final, and hoping to have my first scan in a few weeks, as i have since heard they sometimes do one at the 10 week mark to find the exact due date!

Thanks all again

My midwife came to see me at home for my first visit, I was suprised but she said that because the UK use a community midwife scheme it's pretty normal. In fact my next visit is a home visit because it's on a Bank Holiday and the community centre where the clinic usually is held is closed.

It's also quite nice because you're a bit more relaxed in your own home.

Well had my first appointment today, my midwife basically chated with me and took details about me and my partner. She also took blood, checked my blood pressure and took a urine sample.

Your right it is very nice and relaxed, hoping my first scan should be in the next few weeks, just before my holiday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back