Midwife not doing tests properly?

Discussion in 'Second Trimester' started by tmesis, Jul 6, 2016.

1. tmesis

tmesis Well-Known Member

I don't think my midwife is doing my urine or bp tests properly so wondered if anyone can weigh in on what their midwives do?

Bit of background: I have chronic kidney disease so am at high risk of pre eclampsia. I am consultant led and also seeing my regular kidney consultant. My midwife is also giving me additional appointments and very kindly fitting them into my schedule. Problem is, I don't think she is doing the tests right?

I have seen her twice so far and both times she has got me to wee on a urine strip. Then she just glanced at it from a distance for a second and said it was fine and told me to bin it. She wrote 'NAD' on the notes ('no abnormality detected') but in between this, the tests the consultants have done have shown blood and protein in my urine. In fact I have had traces of protein at every kidney consultant appointment for literally years. And my midwife during my previous pregnancy used to spend a good few seconds checking the strips against a colour chart to look for abnormalities.

Also, today my midwife took my bp but it only took about 10 seconds and I don't think she pumped the cuff up fully because there was hardly any pressure.

I guess my question is, is it possible she's just very experienced and can do these tests really quickly? Or should I not trust the results?

2. Slb24

Slb24 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure your not meant to see directly on the strips. And I think they need a minute to 'develop'. I would speak to the consultant and ask the above questions or your GP. Just to voice you concerns. Good luck x

3. BunnyN

BunnyN Well-Known Member

Are the tests the consultant does strips too? The strips are not always as sensitive as tests sent to a lab to do. I bought test strips off ebay so I can test myself at home. The ones I have you pee in a pot and then dip the test quickly. Peeing directly on the strips sounds odd but they could just be a different type. You do have to leave mine a little to develop too, although its not for that long. I check them against the color chart but I guess if you have good memory and experience you could see by just looking.

I have a home BP machine which always feels quite tight(to the point of being a bit uncomfortable). The doctors I have seen have used an automatic machine too and it felt the same. My MW uses one that pumps up by hand and I have noticed that it doesn't feel nearly as tight. I think it is because she can control it better and only pumps it up as far as she needs to. I don't think it takes long to read the BP, its just that the machine takes ages puming up and then letting the air out.

#3 BunnyN, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  4. tmesis

tmesis Well-Known Member

Thank you both for the replies. BunnyN, I assume the consultants use the same strips as mw does although I am not sure as they just ask for a pee sample and do it behind closed doors. They only send it off to the lab if the initial test suggests a problem.

Good point about the blood pressure - hadn't considered that. I think you must be right about the machines taking longer & feeling tighter.

5. KeelyT90

KeelyT90 Well-Known Member

I peed in the pot and she dipped the test in it and held it up to the strip pot to watch it develop for a couple of mins.....
    My consultant also tested like this..

6. Dodsy83

Dodsy83 Well-Known Member

I suffer from kidney infections so my midwife says I have to have my tribe tested at each appointment (both in last pregnancy and this and my midwives are 300 miles apart because we moved) they always give me a sample pot to take home ready to bring my sample with me to my appointment and then dip test it then. It's relatively quick, but I've never peed on the strip. Maybe check with your kidney consultant and see what they say x