Midwife Booking Appointment

Jacq23

Reaction score
Well, that was certainly a long appointment! I think I was in there 1 hour and 20 minutes. And, as ever, I cannot go to my doctor's surgery without seeing someone I know. Every time I go there I see kids from my school, or parents. But this time it was my cousin. And we were the only two people in the whole place, how typical is that?! He said he was going for his 'MoT' and I offered no explanation for my visit, though tried to hide my packet of bits and bobs I had brought along with me. When I went for my early scan, one of the nurses in the gynae dept was a mum of a child in my class :shock: I checked that she wasn't going to be doing my scan as that would be too awkward for words!

Anyway, the midwife was a stand-in one whilst the normal one was on holiday apparently. She was nice enough though not very good at taking blood and I had a lump the size of a grape on my arm afterwards, which is still raised and very painful now. So she took 3 vials of blood, a urine sample, and every detail of my family medical history, details of my son's birth etc.

We discussed dates and I told her my reasons for believing I was 10 weeks (not 8+6 as the early scan would say) including: knowing my exact dates of taking the Clomid, every time we DTD and when we stopped that cycle, that I know I had EWCM early on in the cycle, and that because I have a retroverted uterus, perhaps the measurements on the early scan were not accurate as she had trouble getting a good picture (most likely as my uterus is tipped back away from the probe and it was external). So anyway, she wrote all over the scan request form that I am away next week and then again from 17th-29th August, and would like a scan before I go away. She did suggest I had a scan in the USA whilst we are there if they can't fit me in. Er, not at those prices!! It cost $10,000 to have DS and I know what a rip off it is (though I would happily pay $400 for an epidural again!)

She called the consultant whilst I was there to ask whether I should continue taking the Metformin and he said to discontinue, as she didn't know and neither did my GP! She also asked whether I would have a consultant-led pregnancy as I conceived on Clomid and he said yes, so I guess at about 18-20 weeks I will see the consultant.

Oh and I have O- blood and so had to have the injections before and after delivery to ensure my blood didn't react against DS when I was in the USA. Now they told me that would last through subsequent pregnancies but the midwife implied it didn't and I would have to have those again. Sigh! So that means whooping cough, flu jab and that as well :roll:

I think that is it for now! I am just keeping my fingers crossed that I will get a scan date before we go on our hols. But if not, then I said to hubby can we pay for a private scan before we go just so I am assured all is fine. He said yes, as we want to tell all our friends in the USA when we go and I want to know all is good and it is safe to share our news.

Ok, that's my essay done!
xx

We are off to US on the 12th of this month, the day before I will be 12 weeks. They've given me a scan date for tues next week when I will be 11 weeks. I think they've made a mistake as I don't think they can check for DS till 11+3, but going to go with it as I really want to know all ok before we go, and we want to tell the kids so they take it easy on me while we are away.

I had an early scan too, and during that they first told me measurement which would put me at 5weeks. then a minute later she said oh no this is a better angle. It was more than double the length and put me at 6.5 weeks! What a discrepancy! I've got a retroverted uterus too, so put it down to that and ignored her dating.

So did you have the anti-d shot before and after birth? If that's what you had, yes you do have it again as a precaution.

They dated me at 5 days younger but aid at that stage even the tiniest measure out can effect it

Toria you will likely get another scan if they tell you it is too early to test for DS. Mw told me that if they scan me in two weeks and the early scan dates were right, they will call me back for another scan a bit later. I won't complain at seeing bubba again!

And yes, it is the anti- d though it had a different name in the USA. I might call into the hospital there when we go and ask them. Can't hurt right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back