midwife app / diet coke

Kayelle

Reaction score
Ok so seen midwife today, she looked at my notes (new midwife, I just moved) and went to feel bump. She commented on how big it was and asked her student girl to check dates on notes and she had a feel too. So she said I need to cut down on sugar as I could have diabetes. Got upset and said I feel bad like I've been overeating made him huge and sugary (my diet hasn't been that bad!)
She said cut down on sugar and no coke, so I said well diet is ok right?
She says no absolutley no diet coke too much caffine. I cried. I have been drinking loads of it, lidl own diet, its what I've craved , I don't drink tea or any hot drinks and well nothing other than diet coke and water. So upset I hadn't been told.
I've been so so upset that bf done some research, I can have 200mg a day. Brand diet coke has 30mg is per can, and my beloved lidl rubbish is trace in huge bottle.

So what do you girls think about my coke?
And I'm worried about massive baby , any ideas / experiences?
Feeling pretty low :-(

I am addicted to coke and I drank full strength all thru pregnancy. I kept of diet cos it has more chemicals but still had some.

have and will carry on drinking diet coke with pregnancy!! iwas not an issue 10 and 4 years ago with other 2 so i aint gonna stop now :) xx

I was told that also by my dr when i was pregnant with LO, so i drank Cokes Caffeine Free type, it was ok but not as good as the normal.

I'm a full fat coke addict atm. Ive not had any problems but I do watch for getting dehydrated and try I balance it with drinking other drinks as I'm sure I've read somewhere that drinking fizzy drinks doesn't actually rehydrate you very well?

Thank you I feel better now, I think I will drink it, but try to drink more water too. I knew tea doesn't hydrate you , but guess nothing is as good as water for hydration.

Just cut down the amount your having x I have gestational diabetes and have been told to just have everything in moderation x

Just because your bump is big doesn't nessicarly mean baby is huge hun x You will probably be sent for growth scans to see how big baby is x

Yeah I was planning to cut down on coke anyway, but her saying none made me want it more!

I didn't think I was having a lot of sugar , what other things have sugar that are not so obvious? I don't have sugar in tea , and know obv sweets and choc are high sugar

I hope he is not massive as c section is my worst nightmare! Would be nice to see him on a scan tho lol!
His heartbeat was great by the way and he was really kicking her lol

Like Mrs MC I drink ordinary coke rather than Diet Coke which contains the horrible chemical Aspartame which upsets my Lupus badly.

All things in moderation though, try watering down the coke with sparkling water too.

I drank diet coke with dd and she was 6lb 10 and have drunk it this time so we shall see lol

Oh god I am a coke addict!! Full fat, one glass a night (a bit less than a can a day). I also don't drink any hot drinks like tea and coffee so try to drink fruit juice for breakfast, water during the day and then have my treat of coke with tea. I have grown quite quickly over the past fornight - may be I'm due a telling off at my 28 week check next week!! At my 25 week check baby was on the 75th percentile so not horrendous but on the larger size.

Just cut down the amount your having x I have gestational diabetes and have been told to just have everything in moderation x

Just because your bump is big doesn't nessicarly mean baby is huge hun x You will probably be sent for growth scans to see how big baby is x

Wss ^^^ you could have alot of water, my sil did, she was told he,d be quite big coz she was so big, but when he was born he was the smallest baby she had. She just had alot of water. Also I craved suger when I was preg with my boys, to the point of actually eating it:blush: plus lot,s of coke and I got sent for glucose test,s coz they kept finding suger or protein, whichever one it is, in my wee. Luckily I didn't get diabetes and my boys were 6'3 and 7'3.

I drink caffeine free diet coke, one can per day although sometimes more at the wknd. I honestly can't taste the slightest bit of difference between caffeine free and normal. I try and drink water but normally don't even manage a litre in a day and have orange juice for breakfast x

i had my first meeting with the mid wife today (im 9 weeks) and she said to me that im not allowed to drink coke - i said that i drink pepsi max and thought that would be ok but because of the caffine it not - this list of things im not allowed is getting bigger by the day lol - all the things that im not allowed I now really want lol :)

It's so confusing as to what is ok! Going by caffine allowances , it seems its ok in moderation, but midwife was so adamant. I have decided one glass a day is ok. I an going to cut back sugar etc just upset don't want to think that I'm hurting baby!

I hope my bump is a lot of water!

The guideline is 200mg of caffeine a day, and a can of coke is meant to be 40mg. Seeing as I don't drink coffee or eat loads of chocolate I can't see that I'm exceeding my daily limit??!! What about all those coffee fiends out there?!!

Drinking too much caffeine is said to have the opposite effect on the baby. It can lead to small birth weights not large ones. How much are you drinking? Unless you are packing away 2ltrs a day I wouldn't worry too much.

Ps also diet coke and other soft drinks contain aspartame which is not supposed to be eaten in pregnancy either but then again neither is too much sugar.

Perhaps we should all just drink tap water and organic meat and veg for 9 months eh? Lol.

I take these recommendations with a pinch of salt tbh, the guidelines change too often for my liking and as long as I'm being sensible I don't see there is much harm having a diet coke every now and again.

Well if anyone has watched that...I didn't know I was pregnant and they come out with healthy babies after drinking, smoking, eating loads of stuff you shouldn't then I think we will all be fine lol xxx

i drink pepsi max, always have done. i stoipped smoking, i dont drink alcohol, i bought and drink decaff coffee and i avoid all the foods im not supposed to have (that i know of) nobody is perfect and it wont kill baby to have a bit of coke when you fancy it. as said as long as your not mainlining caffiene i think it will be fine, the guidelines change all the time and its too stressful to avoid every single thing they say is bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back