Metformin

emma_85

Reaction score
Hello ladies

I was hoping for some advice about using metformin. After months of testing, I have found that I have polycystic ovaries and my Dr has at long last given me a prescription for metformin. My GP has been talking about me starting this for a long while, but I had to endure many blood tests and even an ultrasound scan, so it's been a long haul for me!

I've been told that it can be harsh on the tummy and the Dr wants me to start it slowly, for the first week 1 pill, the second week 2 pills then the third week 3 pills (which will be my continued dose).

Is it wise for me to eat healthily while I'm taking them? By this I mean following a diet of some kind? I do need to lose weight anyway, so I'm ready for full on diet/sensible eating for here on out. I'm just wondering whether one diet is better than the other, are there certain foods I should avoid whilst taking metformin?

If anyone could offer any advice I would welcome it.

A friend has advised that I take it in the middle of my meal time. Is this wise? My GP hasn't recommended this to me, just warned me of the possible side effects. I'm hard as nails, so willing to put up with an upset tummy, but if I can avoid it I will :lol:

Are there any other side effects that anyone has experienced?

Any success stories of using it?

Thanks in advance ladies :):):)

Hi

Yes it's best to take it in the middle of meals :)

It upset my stomach for the first week or two but after that it was fine. I did find that it was best to avoid foods containing sugars or saturated fat (eg fast food) - even after I'd been on it for a while, if I had a Chinese or curry then my stomach would go crazy. I'm only 8 stone so no weight to lose really but I did lose all the fat I had on my legs really quickly (I started in October). It's back now as I stopped the gym but I'm sure the metformin helped (had a scan with no cysts that month too!).

I can't bring you a BFP success story but it's helped lots of other ladies. Also, my cycles are now 28 days with no spotting - I used to have a 24 day cycle with up to 2 weeks of spotting! So that's a success of sort :) xx

For me I take it with meals. I swapped to the slow release version and definitely prefer it. The tummy troubles are pretty much clockwork.

I never lost any weight on metformin but then I didn't eat bad to start with. Currently only on one tablet because I think it was making my hair fall out (definitely not a common side effect)

Hello :) I also have pco. My consultant says that metformin is a waste of time unless you have insulin resistance but after hearing so many success stories for pco ladies I begged my GP to let me try some without telling my consultant (who point blank refused to even discuss it with me). I'm just finishing my third month. I've not had any trouble or side effects with it. I take mine with my main meal of the day. I'm a little overweight but eat a healthy diet normally and I've not lost any weight on metformin (which is disappointing as I was hoping to knock off the weight I put on when taking clomid).

Diet wise low GI is good for pco, might be worth looking into. Full fat dairy products and whole milk is better than skimmed/semi skimmed.

I don't know if it will help regulate my cycles as this is my first cycle since clomid. At the moment it is looking like I'm back to the stupid long and irregular cycles I had before, again I'm disappointed as I've heard lots of positive stories from other ladies.

Snowbee gave some good advice :) here's some more pcos tips I've found helped control mine:

Avoid sugar at all costs - see it as the devil! Fruit is ok sometimes but berries are best.
Avoid refined carbs as much as possible too (eg potatoes, white pasta...).
If you're going all out, cut out gluten too (or eat it in minimum quantities). It's an inflammatory. I've done this recently and found no bloating at all.
Good supplements are cinnamon, chromium, myo-inositol, omega 3. Also maca root tablets if your hormones are crazy. (I'm taking all of these.)
As Snowbee says, full fat dairy so blue top milk and butter not marg (Kerrygold is good).
You may find meditation, acupuncture or reflexology helps to reduce cortisol levels.

Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back