Metformin for PCOS

Cookie517

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with PCOS a couple of months ago. The consultant prescribed Metformin to treat this and said it would help regulate hormones and promote weight loss.

I fell pregnant really quickly with DD about 4yrs ago!

I've managed to scare myself seeing something online about high sugar levels in PCOS can cause testosterone production and inhibit ovulation! (Don't quote me, I may have the wrong end of the stick!!).

Now I'm terrified because my diet is rubbish, I'm a chronic yo-yo dieter and I'm worried I will struggle to get pregnant!!

Anyone had experience of Metformin as a treatment for PCOS got any advice or reassurance?

Cookie x

Embarrassingly, I should also add that I'm about 4ish stone heavier than I was prior to falling pregnant with DD.

However consultant said PCOS has probably been a long-term thing that's just never been picked up before.

My periods always used to be clockwork, 32 day cycle each time without fail. I've had my Mirena coil removed 4 days ago after having it in for 3 years and I'm yet to bleed.

Am I worrying over nothing?? I really don't want to struggle to conceive :(

X

Embarrassingly, I should also add that I'm about 4ish stone heavier than I was prior to falling pregnant with DD.

However consultant said PCOS has probably been a long-term thing that's just never been picked up before.

My periods always used to be clockwork, 32 day cycle each time without fail. I've had my Mirena coil removed 4 days ago after having it in for 3 years and I'm yet to bleed.

Am I worrying over nothing?? I really don't want to struggle to conceive :(

X
Hey lovely! I have been taking metformin since 2016 and I can honestly say I ovulate every month!
We’ve been trying since jan this year and have had 2 chemical pregnancies so far. So it’s definitely possible.
I’m currently in my 2WW so I will let you know. I eat better when on metformin because you can’t eat crap with it lol. Xxx

Hey lovely! I have been taking metformin since 2016 and I can honestly say I ovulate every month!
We’ve been trying since jan this year and have had 2 chemical pregnancies so far. So it’s definitely possible.
I’m currently in my 2WW so I will let you know. I eat better when on metformin because you can’t eat crap with it lol. Xxx

Hey thank you so much for your reply! That's really reassuring! I've gotten myself so anxious about it!! :doh:
It's good to hear you've managed to fall pregnant, but I'm sorry to hear about your chemical pregnancies, sending lots of love <3
Thank you again, I'll try and chill out a bit haha. I'm still waiting on a period since having my coil removed 6 days ago but think I'm just really impatient!
Fingers crossed your TWW ends up with a bfp and sticky baby xx

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with PCOS a couple of months ago. The consultant prescribed Metformin to treat this and said it would help regulate hormones and promote weight loss.

I fell pregnant really quickly with DD about 4yrs ago!

I've managed to scare myself seeing something online about high sugar levels in PCOS can cause testosterone production and inhibit ovulation! (Don't quote me, I may have the wrong end of the stick!!).

Now I'm terrified because my diet is rubbish, I'm a chronic yo-yo dieter and I'm worried I will struggle to get pregnant!!

Anyone had experience of Metformin as a treatment for PCOS got any advice or reassurance?

Cookie x
Hello hun i was given metaformin for pcos in january. I fell pregnant in 3 months, i also took my ova plus alongside it and it worked!

Hello hun i was given metaformin for pcos in january. I fell pregnant in 3 months, i also took my ova plus alongside it and it worked!

Hey thank you!! That's so lovely to hear (and congratulations!!). I think Dr Google makes everything look 10x worse than it is by the sounds of things!!! Xx

Hey thank you!! That's so lovely to hear (and congratulations!!). I think Dr Google makes everything look 10x worse than it is by the sounds of things!!! Xx
I would mention that i had my first baby quickly with no issues and only have devloped pcos since, im also 2st heavier. And wasnt having regular cycles i went private to get the diagnosis.

I would mention that i had my first baby quickly with no issues and only have devloped pcos since, im also 2st heavier. And wasnt having regular cycles i went private to get the diagnosis.

Ahh that's interesting! I'm not sure when I developed PCOS, the endocrinologist thought it'd been going on for a few years! So we shall see. I'm so glad to hear that things have still been OK for you in a similar situation :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back