Menopur for improved egg quality ??

Jezby

Reaction score
hey ladies,

So I had my IVF review today following our failed 2nd cycle in Feb

Review was pretty in depth and they want to test hubby for dna fragmentation. I personally don’t feel it’s likely - I’m 37 and have an AMH of 2.1 so I feel it’s more likely poor quality eggs.

The consultant suggested switching from Bemfola (similar to Gonal F) to Menopur? Has anyone else heard of this or has been recommend Menopur for improved egg quality ? Although my AMH is terrible & egg quality poor I’ve responded well to stims on the low protocols, getting 10 and the 16 eggs.

Any thoughts welcome .. xx

Hi jezby hun

I was on menopur for both my cycles. I was told menopur was the way for me because they were worried my quality would be low because of my pcos. Not sure if this helped or not, as round 1 didn't work even with it... But I was on a stronger version second time round. From 150mm to 225 the second time.

Not sure If that helps or not?

X

Hi jezby hun

I was on menopur for both my cycles. I was told menopur was the way for me because they were worried my quality would be low because of my pcos. Not sure if this helped or not, as round 1 didn't work even with it... But I was on a stronger version second time round. From 150mm to 225 the second time.

Not sure If that helps or not?

X
Hey lovely,

That’s really interesting.. what was the egg quality like on your 2nd round ? Is that the round you just had ?

J xx

Hi Jezby,

I was on a long protocol with down regging first and then day 1 & 2 of period took 2 x 225 Menopur and then 1 x 225 Menopur for 10 days after that. My AMH is 13.3 and I got 7 eggs, 5 fertilized and 3 were described as 'top quality' but only 2 made it to day 5 and only one was suitable for transfer. It was our first time and I've nothing to compare that against for my age group and 'unexplained' diagnosis.

We have our review meeting on Friday and from the letter they've sent in advance it sounds like they wouldn't do anything different..... but lets see what they say in person. At my first scan the nurse mentioned that they'd expect around 10 eggs with my AMH score so I was disappointed with 7. But its a lottery so who knows, we're all different.

Can I ask what questions you had for your review? My OH says he doesn't have any (?) because he feels its a business and they are trying to sell us stuff. I want to ask what they would do differently if we went down this path again and I want to know when the side effects of the drugs will wear of. I am still huge and this morning bought new bras because I've got 4 boobs in my current ones. I've gone up a whole cup size to go with my expanded waistline and falling out hair. I don't know which drug caused that reaction as I was doing fine during the process.

Big hugs to you. It so tough.

xx

Hello lovely,

Your AMH is pretty high! But I just don’t trust this whole AMH thing. We are told it’s an indicator of egg quantity. Yes mines barely readable and I got 16 eggs last go, yours is so much higher and you got 7. It’s very strange ...

My 1st review was brief and they just did the same again but the 2nd one they have more data so a bit more to go on.

I had the short protocol as they didn’t want to risk my sleepy ovaries not bouncing back st all after the down regging.

I asked lots of questions about the embryo development as I had a lot of fragmentation & poor quality eggs. They’re now testing hubby again as they can’t test my eggs.

I also asked about diff drug protocols and if the highest dosage was reducing egg quality and she didn’t seem to think so. My clinic is nhs although we are having to pay as there is no funding where we live for IVF so it’s quite a standard approach. No weird and wonderful drugs available. We did use the embryoscope which is highly recommend if you have the opportunity

Let me know how your review goes!

Xx

Hello lovely,

Your AMH is pretty high! But I just don’t trust this whole AMH thing. We are told it’s an indicator of egg quantity. Yes mines barely readable and I got 16 eggs last go, yours is so much higher and you got 7. It’s very strange ...

My 1st review was brief and they just did the same again but the 2nd one they have more data so a bit more to go on.

I had the short protocol as they didn’t want to risk my sleepy ovaries not bouncing back st all after the down regging.

I asked lots of questions about the embryo development as I had a lot of fragmentation & poor quality eggs. They’re now testing hubby again as they can’t test my eggs.

I also asked about diff drug protocols and if the highest dosage was reducing egg quality and she didn’t seem to think so. My clinic is nhs although we are having to pay as there is no funding where we live for IVF so it’s quite a standard approach. No weird and wonderful drugs available. We did use the embryoscope which is highly recommend if you have the opportunity

Let me know how your review goes!

Xx

Thanks Jezby, I'm writing my list of questions today and egg quality is top of the list. I also found a video yesterday on YouTube about low pregesterone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubWryBSbrf which I am convinced I have, this homeopath even mentions dandruff which is something I've never had in my life but it appeared after my last chemical. The video is a bit long but interesting.

Do you have a date to try again or I guess that depends on the test results?

xx

Funny you mention progesterone actually as I (bit tmi!) spot for ages after I’ve finished my period. Like a week or 10 days? It’s so bad I have to use a hefty liner it’s very wet. My acupuncturist says that’s a hormone imbalance likely to be progesterone. Hence the delicious spoonful of flaxseed oil every night !

We are provisionally booked in for Sept as I have 2 weeks leave off work booked

Let me know how you get on xx

Funny you mention progesterone actually as I (bit tmi!) spot for ages after I’ve finished my period. Like a week or 10 days? It’s so bad I have to use a hefty liner it’s very wet. My acupuncturist says that’s a hormone imbalance likely to be progesterone. Hence the delicious spoonful of flaxseed oil every night !

We are provisionally booked in for Sept as I have 2 weeks leave off work booked

Let me know how you get on xx

Hey Jezby,

I just had my first tablespoon of flaxseed oil ....omg it is revolting. I nearly puked. I had a drink of orange juice afterwards and that took the taste away.

We had our review meeting this morning which felt like a bit of a waste of time. She said our chances are the same on the next round and as my birthday looms large that is now just 17% and there's nothing they'd change. She talked about donor eggs, which I'm just not comfortable with.....and it would cost around £9k with a 35% chance of pregnancy.

However I mentioned to her about my concerns around low progesterone and she said theres no evidence it has an impact but if I really wanted they would give me tablets to take during my luteal phase to support natural conception. Funny how the herablists and accupuncturist focus on that but the traditional medical people write it off.

She also said all the drugs should be out my system and that she's never heard of someone's hair falling out as a result of the drugs. That doesn't fill me with faith in her as googling the meds I took and there are loads of women having similar issues.

Anyway, thats my update. Thanks for telling me about the flaxseed oil.

Keep us updated on how you're doing hun,

xx

Hey lovely,

Was that review after 1 cycle or 2 failed? As my 1st review after my 1st failed cycle was also very brief and felt like a tick in the box exercise.

It is frustrating how traditional medics just look at the here and now and not back a few stages I completely agree. I just feel like they’re there for the IVF and anything in preparation for it isn’t their field or issue. It causes me extreme frustration .....

I’d love to tell you the flaxseed doesn’t taste as bad after a week - ID BE LYING!!!! lol keep at it tho. I had lunch with my friend and her mum last week. She is in her 50’s and diagnosed by her doc with a thyroid issue. She refused his meds to try something more holistic with a view to going back and being re tested. She took flaxseed oil for 3 months, went back an her levels were back on normal ranges. So these things can be more powerful than you think!!

Happy Easter
J xxx

That’s great for your mums friend, I totally believe in the holistic and Chinese medicine. Unfortunately my other half thinks it’s baloney so quite hard to stay positive sometimes.

That was our first cycle. I’m not sure we’d do it again, even if we had the money which we don’t . The average success rate for ivf at my age is 7-8%, and naturally it’s 5%. So not much difference even though the clinic said 17% my OH doesn’t believe them.

I’ve found an acupuncturist who is closer to home (my current one lives 45 mins away) so I’m going to try him and see if he can get me back to feeling a bit more normal.

Enjoy the Easter weekend xx

I’ve found an acupuncturist who is closer to home (my current one lives 45 mins away) so I’m going to try him and see if he can get me back to feeling a bit more normal.
Good luck with your treatment. I know someone who was in your shoes, and acupuncture and mesotherapy treatment worked for her.x

Good luck with your treatment. I know someone who was in your shoes, and acupuncture and mesotherapy treatment worked for her.x

Thanks @miamia I hadn’t heard of mesotherapy. Something to investigate x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back