Mefloquine during pregnancy

rx_d

Reaction score
Hi,

I was under treatment with Eloquine (Mefloquine) when I got pregnant, due to traveling in Africa. I took 2 pills of Eloquine between conception and when I found out I was pregnant.

Has anyone else had experience with this? Is there any doctor/midwife here who can tell me what the risk is or what tests can there be done to find out if this affected the baby?

My doctors all seem to not know anything about this medicine and they keep telling me there are no trials made and there's no way of knowing. I'm really not happy with this answer. There must be some experience on this somewhere.

Please help.

PS: sorry if I didn't post this in the right place.

Your doctor will have good access to medical information concerning all drugs etc. If he can't find any info on its effect in pregnancy then I don't think you'll find the answer on the forum.
Good luck x

Yeah, thanks for nothing.
As I already said, my doctors don't know anything about this. They searched online for info when I asked them and I was staring at the wall while they googled it, so they can tell me in the end there's no way of knowing.
So I'm still hoping someone experienced will help me here.

How rude!
I highly doubt there are any medical experts on this forum to answer your question and you should look elsewhere for expert medical advice.

Are you kidding me? :eh:

First of all - this is the biggest pregnancy related forum in UK, so my natural assumption is that there is some medical staff on it, or at least people who've been in my situation.

Secondly - to search for medical opinions elsewhere, for me would mean to travel to another country to find competent doctors just to ask a simple question, which could easily find its answer online. You see, things in Eastern Europe aren't as pretty as they are on you high horse.

Thirdly - You called me rude for what? For explaining to you that you're wrong? I guess that could seem offensive to a know-it-all like yourself.

Now, this was rude indeed, but you deserved it :)

PS: Found my answer on a different forum, so if this post won't get deleted and anyone else ends up here searching for the same issue - "The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now recommends the antimalarial drug mefloquine for pregnant women both as a malaria treatment option and as an option to prevent malaria infection for all trimesters."
(from the CDC website, I can't post the direct link)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back