McDonalds Milkshake - Panic! :(

katyloumc

Reaction score
Are we not supposed to have these becasue I think they're from the ice cream machine?

I had one at lunch time (strawberry and lush!) and someone had a mcflurry, they asked if I wanted some and I said I couldnt - then realised!! I've had a few of these since being pregnant, feel a bit panicky! DOH!

Don't panic, you can't undo what's been done.

But there is concern over mcflurrys etc due to the way in which milk is stored in the machine, and the way in which machine is cleaned (or not as the case may be)
Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Its down to listeria. Not just macdonalds either hun, any soft whipped ice cream. Not sure about milkshakes Xx

Tapatalking :-D Can't see tickers...

I asked my midwife the other week as I've had cravings for them & she said they are absolutely fine. It would be easy to not eat anything with all the do's & don'ts

Don't panic. There's a small chance of listeria if the machines aren't cleaned but it is a small chance.the NHS advise against it but it's one of the less risky foods. Try not to worry, you'd have to be quite unlucky to get ill.
Xxx

Don't worry. Yes, I wouldn't buy from a Mr Whippy ice cream van as you have no idea how good their hygiene is. However after doing a bit of research during my last pregnancy I found that McDonalds has a good hygiene policy for these machines and they are thoroughly cleaned twice a day. I get the odd banana milkshake from them as its the only place I'm happy to get this type of ice cream from.

Using Tapatalk can't see no tickers grrrrr.

I have had a few as craved them the risk of listeria is small, but is down to your choice.

How many people do you know have got ill from a McDonald's milk shake or mcflurry? Exactly!

I think this is all getting a bit out of hand. You can pick up bugs from anywhere if the food preparation areas aren't properly cleaned. You might as well say "don't eat out when pregnant" if individual outlets are being targeted. Just use common sense everyone!

It's the risk of listeria and also because I don't think they are pasteurised, but like others have said I wouldn't worry too much as the risk is very small. I've had a couple since being pregnant but must admit have stopped having them since I found out it's not recommended. Different midwives say different things - it was a pregnant friend of mine's midwife that told her to avoid McDonalds milkshakes, and also told her to avoid peanuts, yet my midwife told me it is perfectly safe to eat peanuts as there has never been any evidence to suggest otherwise. It's no wonder us pregnant ladies get confused as to what we can and can't eat/drink xx

How many people do you know have got ill from a McDonald's milk shake or mcflurry? Exactly!

Me!
I was really really ill after a mcflurry, but I do think it was hopefully an isolated incident.
Put me right off them though which is great for my diet ;) x

I think this is all getting a bit out of hand. You can pick up bugs from anywhere if the food preparation areas aren't properly cleaned. You might as well say "don't eat out when pregnant" if individual outlets are being targeted. Just use common sense everyone!

WSS. Don't panic, the risk is teeny tiny. Like others have said its because of listeria but you can actually get this from just about anywhere in theory, even vegetables if they aren't washed properly! I think we are told not to eat so many things when we're pregnant that we would actually be at risk of some kinds of deficiency if we avoided eveything! It's definitely about using common sense xxx

Thanks ladies, I think I'll be avoiding them from now on just to be on the safe side. Plus it doesn't help with the weight gain so I'll use the listeria excuse not to have anymore! They are lush though! X

Ive had looooooooooads of them so nany cravings for milkshakes and whippy ice cream

I didn't even know this! I had many a wispa gold mcflurry during my pregnancy with no issues other than having a fat arse now!

I wonder if its more common than people think. Probably people who are sick put it down to their burger instead of the ice cream culprit x

I wonder if its more common than people think. Probably people who are sick put it down to their burger instead of the ice cream culprit x

True! If I'd had a burger I would have blamed that but a mcflurry was the only thing I'd eaten so it was deffo that! x

Oh I have been eating mcflurrys and milkshakes I didn't even know this :( oooopppps

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back