Maya or Maia

KHTW

Reaction score
What one would you pick? We are set on the name but not sure whether to go with y or i... Thanks xx

Personally I would go with Maya. x Do either of you have a preference at all?

maya i would pronounce may-a
maia i would pronounce my-a

if that helps?

It's the my-a pronunciation we are after. Thanks, I will have to think about it now as Maya looks better to me but I would like to avoid mispronunciation x

Last edited:
I think I would be tempted to pronounce Maia May-a as well because of the extra a.

I would pronounce Mya or Mia as My-a

Just realise Mia would me Me-a not My-a haha... but yeah if I were going to go for a My sound I'd drop the A and spell it Mya

Last edited:
Thanks Donna. I don't like Mya... it has to have the extra a to 'look right' to me x

I like Maya. And I'd pronounce My-a either way.

I'd go for the way you like best, either way there'll always probably be people you have to correct on it. So you may as well pick your favourite spelling xx

I think maya people could think it's may-a. I do know a little girl mya and it does look how it's spelt. But if you like maya go with maya I think the kids program maya the bee is pronounced the way you like to x

Oh dear, you girls are not making it easy lol. I do like Maya better but it is not that I dislike Maia. Will have to ask OH what he thinks... I fully expect he 'likes both equally' x

Lol men are always soooo helpful like that. Xx

Maia is a lovely name and a beautiful way to spell it :) but then again so is Maya, I'd just go with whatever you prefer to be honest!
Picking the names is absolutely one of the most exciting bits I think! Makes it feel so real x

In all fairness, I work in a school and we soon get used to pronouncing names the way the kids want them pronounced. I teach a few kids who spell their names the same but pronounce it differently. All it takes is a correction from you (or your daughter when she's older) :) So go with the one you like the most and then pronounce it how you like it

Maia is the one i would pronounce “May-ah”, Maya is an easily recognizable name and i would be confused to hear it pronounced anything other than “My-ah”. I also much prefer the “Maya” spelling! Also I have heard about the letter “y” being an auspicious letter in a name :)

Thank you Ladies! We will go with Maya :love:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back