May I join you ladies please?

Mildly

Reaction score
Hello girls, I got my BFP in the early hours of this morning as an amazing way to start the New Year. I've been TTC for 11 months and this will be my first LO :cheer:

Looking forward to taking this journey with you all :D

I have a quick question about lifting though. I work in an IT dept. and often lug computers about my workplace. Is this something that I should start trying to avoid if possible. Or is lifting only a problem when you start to have a noticable belly and are therefore carrying things further out from your centre of gravity?

Also I have found over the last week that I am becoming very slightly out of breath on a hour long dog walk? Is this me being a wuss and imagining things? I am quite fit and healthy normally and don't think that I am walking any faster. In fact today I had to get OH to slow down to a more sedate pace? :oops:

firstly congratulations :cheer:

Second you should really try and avoid lifting heavy objects now i've been told to rest and do light jobs.- no heavy lifting ??? :|

As for being out of breath i have found the last 2 weeks im struggling to catch my breath but i'm unsure if it's related or not ?

Firstly, congrats :cheer: :cheer:

Its possible you are finding things more tiring as first tri can be very draining. I'd just go with what your body is telling you and don't over do it. I went from being able to hike up and down hills to hardly being able to climb the stairs it exhusted me so much from about 6 weeks onwards.

Re the lifting, I think it depends on how you feel. I was still lifting a fair amount still before I was 10 weeks. You can't not really in day to day life. Someone has to carry shopping, sacks of dog feed and big laundry baskets. I moved furniture and so on also. My GP said it didn't matter if I was resting 24/7 or going about my normal day to day routine, nature would take its course where baby was concerned. Just not to do anything daft, keep within reason and what I was used to and felt able to cope with. Any heavy lifting should be avoided. I don't consider a computer box overly heavy, but would not lift a CRT monitor. But you might feel its too much now so want to avoid it. I think you need to assess what you can cope with and how you've found it in the past and how it would be now. If you have found them too heavy in the past but lifted anyways, I'd steer clear.

Just be aware when/if you do lift a compy box or some such that you lift correctly. Maybe find a small trolley to put them on to move around?

If in doubt go talk to your GP about it and see what they suggest. It still is very early days so your body will be chaging inside but not so much outwardly yet. Once I got to 14 weeks my GP suggested I stop lifting the really heavy things (including a 6 and 8 year old) and take it a bit easier so I did. And I've been good ever since.

Thanks for the congratulations and advice. I don't want to go and do anything stupid at these early stages so I may feign a back injury until I am able to get to the doctors ;) I may also have a chat to the health and safety officer to see if they can advise anything too.

I have been napping during the day whilst I've been off for the holidays so I am wondering whether I'll start to feel it from tomorrow onwards!

Still can't stop grinning though and neither can OH :D

Hey congratulations hun :cheer:

I would be careful lifting things. I have been watching what I have been lifting and stretching is also apparently something to avoid too. I am being careful as I really don't want anything to go wrong with my bean.

Xxx

Congrats & welcome!

I would avoid the lifting wherever possible - I'm sure a few shopping bags are fine but anything heavier could cause problems. As for being tired, I know what you mean - it takes all my energy to walk up the tube station stairs at the end of a loooooong day at work! x

congrats hon, looking forward to sharing the adventure with you

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back