Maternity pay

Eveadel

Reaction score
Can someone please advise me as Im abit confused.

I am looking for work after being off long term sick with panic attacks/anxiety. I now feel 100% and I am actively looking for work. I am also trying for a baby.

If I got a job soon and then become pregnant would I be entitled to Maternity Pay? I understand you have to work for the employer for 26 weeks but does that mean 26 weeks prior to becoming pregnant? :?

Hi Eveadel

You're right about the 26 weeks to be entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP). It's a bit complicated, but the end of the 26 weeks should be at least 15 weeks before the baby is due.

Adding this up, you need to start work (26+15) 41 weeks before your baby is due. I guess that means that you could get away with getting PG in your first month in your new job and still be entitled to SMP.

This is quite a handy site to help you work out what you would be entitled to http://www.tiger.gov.uk/maternity/emplo ... /index.htm

Hope that helps.

Helen

Ive just had another thought, whilst looking for work say I do become pregnant will my Incapacity stop?

I wouldn't expect that being pregnant should affect your Incapacity benefit as the pregnancy won't affect the reason that you're unable to work, but I'd recommend ringing the Citizens Advice Beaurau and asking them about entitlements just to be sure.

Many thanks Becky, I will give them a call tomorrow.

Do you know what you are having? Are you excited, scared, etc? :lol:

We don't know what sex the baby is, so it'll be a nice suprise!!

I'm excited/nervous/scared and a whole other mix of emotions but even though this is the hardest thing I've ever done it already is the best!

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back