Maternity pay help!

Claire123

Reaction score
Help please!

I am getting SMP and am due back to work in September. Does anyone know if I have to pay back my SMP if I dont go back to work? I know there is somthing about we have to pay back mat pay if we dont go back for at least 3 months but I dont know if this applies to SMP? X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm pretty sure you don't because they claim the SMP back from the government so they actually haven't paid you anything out of their own pockets. Obviously anything they paid over SMP you would if it in their policy

You definitely don't have to pay back smp! It's funded by the government, your employer pays it to you and they can claim it back from them. I didn't go back after my maternity due to moving and I didn't pay anything back.

The only time you would pay something back was if you got paid extra maternity (on top of smp) by the company and if they had written it into your contract, that you would have to pay it back if you didn't return.

Thank u so much girls, was panicking about the 3 month thing! Just have to decide weather to go back or not now :eek: x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I was wondering about this aswell. not the SMP but the extra pay.

Im guna get 13weeks full pay from the company before SMP.
But nothing that they gave me before i left to go onto maternity mentioned i'd have to pay them back.
If i didnt return it would be cos id give a more convenient P/T job closer.
But i dnt really want to question it cos i can bet they would draft up some letter!!

But im sure they should of given anything like that BEFORE i left??? x

Most place won't tell you it's just in the policy. But it is pretty much given if you don't return anything over SMP would need to be paid back

ta hun.

looks like ill be returning to work then haha x

It's worth finding out how long you need to be back before you can leave without paying it back though. Some places it's 3 months and some its only a month

Just checked again cos our company was bought out but we kept our old contracts.

I should get 18wks full pay then 90% pay for 3 months before smp starts and i have to return to work for 26weeks before i can leave xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back