Maternity pay by employers!!!!!

newbump

Reaction score
Hi,

Just need to have a good rant really, i have been working for my company for almost 7 years and am currently a Company Director, as I am sure you are all aware entitlement on maternity pay is as follows:

90% of wages for the first 6 weeks then £106 per week for the next 20 weeks, during which time your employer can make up your wages or add to it.

Well I have just been informed today that they are going to pay me full wages for the first 8 weeks, then i can either come back to work full time or I will only get the £106 from the government! Bearing in mind my company are not employing anyone to take my place when i am off so extra money will be paid out.

Does anyone know if you can claim any other benefits on top of the £106 a week for living costs, or am I going to be better leaving work and signing on full time!!! ???

Any advice would be much appreicated, thanks all

Natalie x

I'm not sure hun as I'll be getting maternity allowance (not SMP) but maybe the jobcentre could help you? they exlained everything i could get.

I think if you sign on you don't receive any benefits during the time you get MA :(

Maternity allowance is a pittance. It should be 90% of wages for 26 weeks!

Government maternity allowance is as far as I know or there abouts anyway with my wages previously - just Statutory Maternity Pay seems to take the piss really!

Was going to try and look on the internet for information, thank you for your replys, I am just so annoyed that it seems having a baby is a punishment not the joy it is meant to be! I just dont know what to do, it has taken me years to get the caerer i wanted and now seems like i may have to give it up!

Hi Newbump

I agree with you - SMP is a pittance :x . I'm not sure how benefits work, but I just assumed if you left work, then you'd have to claim jobseeker's allowance - in which case you have to actively be seeking employment - no good if you are on maternity leave!!

I hate to say it but you're actually luckier than most in that you're getting full pay not 90% for 8 weeks not 6 - I don't get any top up at all and don't know anyone else who has had better than statutory.

Let us know what you find out about benefits though!

LBxx

Hi Littlebump

Really? as far as I knew I thought a lot of women got a top from their employer especially when they have been there a long time, my main problem is that the SMP doesnt even cover my bills a month let alone anything for the baby, im just really worried now that im not gonna be able to cope and give my baby everthing he/she deserves :cry:

Natalie x

Newbump

I don't think that many people do get a top up, some are just really lucky to be in with good employers :(

Oh maybe im over reacting a bit, but i really am scared as i dont know what to do, there is no way i can afford to live on £106 per week, my direct debits a month alone come to just under £600!!! Oh god i really dont know what to do!!!

Before I ended up in this situation (forced out of my job) I agonised over how DH and I were supposed to live when the baby was here. His wages then covered the mortgage and our DD's, but even with budgeting just £35 a week for food and £20 a week for petrol we weren't going to have enough coming in to live off of. He's just got a payrise which will give him an extra £280 a month so we can cover our bills and our food/petrol, but there wont be much left over if I don't work.

We certainly wont have the lifestyle I envisaged being able to have with a child and being able to provide material things that I didn't have as a youngster, and opportunities for them to have hobbies (horseriding, dancing, sports) if I don't work, we'll be really scraping by. But then it's weighing up providing those things, with being at home with them. It's horrible!!

I've been at my current job for a year and a half, I get full pay for 6 weeks then standard £100 (or has it gone up to £106) per week for the rest of the 6 months.

Luckily I am only really part time, as I have a 4 year old to look after too, so I won't be that much out of pocket, but I can see why it would be a bit of a shock to lose so much of your pay packet.

You will also hopefully get working families tax creditit, plus you'll get child benefit. I know it's not that much but every little helps!

Hi!

I am luckier in the way that teachers get 100% the first 4 weeks, 2 weeks at 90% then SMP plus 50 % of salary for 12 weeks and normal SMP for 8 weeks. Being the only one working, even my nice maternity allowance does not cover my rent and bills. I might have to sell the car in order to cover credit card and save a £100 a month to live better. My rent plus council tax plus bill comes to £1300 at least then you add up food, fags for my man and all the rest and it does come up quickly. On a normal salary i am already struggling but on maternity leave i have not got a clue how i am going to manage!!!! I will start work after 4 months because £106 per week will not cover at all. hoping I will get enough child tax credit having to support a boyfriend who does not work and a baby. So I do not know how you manage just with £106 a week, really.
I was hoping findind a cheaper property to live in but they are very overpriced for what you can get and that means giving another month of deposit, etc.... buying furnitures so it is a lot of worry for me. I will try to look for another job maybe like delivering papers just to give extra cash, will see if you can do that during maternity leave though.

Hi Futuremum

What age group do you teach?

My sister is a primary school teacher & I think teachers get a raw deal in so many ways, I think it's good that you are looked after on things like maternity leave.

I am lucky in that I sit at a desk most of the day, so am hoping to work up to around 2 weeks before my EDD, but I imagine you must be on your feet all day. How close to your due date will you be able to work?

Hi!!

I teach French in a secondary school, so from the age of 11 till 18, which can be very fun!!!! Well, I do spend a lot of time standing up but when it was hot , I was not very good because i was setting the kids some written work so I could sit down a bit, especially in the afternoon. You need to work at least 13 weeks after the end of maternity leave in order to get the 50 % pay on top of the SMP. I am due to the 21st of December and am kind of hoping I could stay until the 14th of December. Although I have seen the classes I will get and might leave early. lol. I have been told to give the latest date and if I leave earlier, they will employ a supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back