Maternity pay bollocks!!!!

Ellsbells

Reaction score
Is anyone having problems with Maternity Allowance? I don't qualify for SMP through my employer as I hadn't worked there long enough so I was entitled to maternity allowance through the government instead on £139 a week,

Basically I went on maternity leave at 29 weeks due to increased BH's and the fact that I had to get an hour long bus and walk 20 mins to and from work from the bus station so my OH advised he thought it was sensible to take leave early, so I did that, however was awaiting on form from HR department confirming why they won't be pay me SMP and also I needed HR to send back my MATB1 form, as of which I couldn't post my maternity documents until 18th August, my last full pay check was 27th July (2 days before I went on maternity leave) and have had nothing since, the maternity allowance office/DWP had a 22 working day process so although they received my docs on the 19th August, they didn't process them until last week on the 15th September, they then told me that a part of the form is wrong and needs doing again so have sent it back to me, now they're saying I may have to wait the full (...and updated) 25 working days process time again!!!! So That takes me to the end of October although my baby is due in 3 weeks and I sent my docs off in august!!!!!!

I'm at my wits end, borrowing money just to get by, have not enjoyed ANY of my maternity leave due to the stress of money! Almost now considering a loan to help me out to pay bills etc (and the rest!) I can't even afford the bus most days to get to my midwife appointments, it's a shamble!

Has anyone else experienced issues with Department for work and pensions in regards to maternity allowance? Did you get any of your money backdated? Or did you have to wait well over a month for just your first weeks pay eg £139?? Any help would be much appreciated xx

Hi, I applied for maternity allowance at the beginning of July. My circumstances are a bit different as I'm self employed and have a business with OH but I should qualify for the full amount. I was told I'd get a letter to tell me what their 'decision' was within 14 days. I eventually rang them in August to be told they had a back log and that they had defo received it and it was correct. I got a letter at the beginning of September telling me I'd only be getting £27 every week until I'd paid my national insurance up until January. I paid it immediately and I'm still waiting! I was due 2 days ago..

Luckily we're not desperate for the money just yet but will be soon. I'd just recommend to keep ringing up. They told me to keep ringing once I'd paid my NI bill and chasing them would speed the process up. I was told I would get all the money backdated too, they were just giving me the £27 per week until my claim was reassessed.

It is a joke how long it takes, they should allow people to apply earlier in pregnancy to make up for this! Xxx

This is going back a few years now but I have loads of problems with maternity allowance. One suggested that a claimed income support until it got sorted out then they'd knock off the amount paid by income support off the back money. Was stressed for weeks and there answer was we're trying to work through it as quickly as possible :/ x

Thanks for your replies ladies. I just find it ridiculous how it can honestly take SO LONG to process people's money. This is money were entitled to due to national insurance we've contributed. I'm lucky that I have an OH that can keep me afloat for the time being, but I'm going to owe SO much when the money does eventually come in! Ridiculous xx

Hi hun, I got made redundant when I was pregnant with my son at 26 weeks and because I was working for an agency I had to claim MA. We were exactly the same as you, there was a huge back log and even though I claimed it from 29 weeks I didn't get a payment until a week or 2 before I gave birth. We were so skint but just managed to get by on hubbys wage without borrowing much. When they did pay me I got my money backdated and got nearly £1300!

I hope you're not waiting too much longer. They really don't get how much you rely on this money xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back