maternity notes - eng.....

Bellarina

Reaction score
Hi girls had my.34 week mw appt yest....and i always check afterwards wat mw has written in notes

every week under eng (which i assume to be babies engage) its always said free....but yesterday she wrote what looks like "brim"

Sorry if a stupid q but wat does this mean.....and also emwat can i expect her to write in coming weeks

thanks

xxx

I think brim neans baby is down in your pelvis waiting for birth

Means baby is by your pelvic brim over the next few weeks head will drop down through this and engage in various stations x

The midwife draws 5 imaginary lines across the baby's head (and calls them 5 ths)and feels how much she can palpate above the brim of the pelvis. When she writes brim it means the head is just at the brim waiting to engage. If it was part way down she might write 3/5ths which means 2/5ths is engaged. If she write free it means head is freely moveable.

Yeah brim is just before baby starts to engage. Ull pros notice next app itll have 5/5 4/5..
Some work diff ways..
Some MWs will have 1/5 meaning 1/5th of the head is below pelvis
Where as some MWs mean it as only 1/5th is left above pelvis.. So always ask ur MW cos they never explain in notes if they mean its below or still left above lol! Xx

dont pay much attention to it though.

I think I was 4/5 palpable (or 1/5 engaged) at around 36 weeks. But at 40 weeks she was back to "free". Then a few days later back to 4/5.

did actually engage until i was in established labour. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back