maternity leave....

BeckyJ

Reaction score
when are you planning to start yours?

how long can you take off?

how long do you get paid for?

:D just thinking ahead :D

I'm not getting any - I won't get maternity pay and I am currently in my probation year teaching so I have to do the year or as much as i can before the baby is born

So I am working right up till my due date and only get stat maternity pay

im going to work as long as possible as i was on bed rest for so long after last baby so need as much time as possible to heal before i return to work.

may go about 36 weeks, then i have 3 weeks to get ready for baby :shock:

are there any good websites that i can look at as i feel cheeky asking at work

Try googling Maternity leave/pay ;)

thanks hun, why didnt i think of that

oh my pregnancy brain :x

:lol: I'm the same - took me about 5 mins to think of how u cold get info :lol:

My mum did it for me :oops:

I don't know actual web addresses but I have certainly searched for Maternity leave entitlement via the search engine and found a lot out. You really have to speak to your employer though as they may offer more than the statutory minimum. I think you have to have been working for your employer for at least 15 weeks (maybe more) prior to the birth to qualify for any more than statutory maternity pay.

I personally am hoping to work until 37 weeks as (at the moment) I feel fine and all risk assessments are in place at work to cover me so I feel confident that I am going to be well looked after even when I am the size of a house! I am taking up to 9 months off which is paid- mostly at statutory maternity pay but there are 6 weeks at 90% and a further 12 weeks at 50% with SMP, providing I go back to work after my period of ML ends. I could take a full year off but the final 3 months would be unpaid, with a mortgage to pay, I'm not keen to do that!

Bee :shock: that's shocking...

I was going to work till 35 weeks but NO WAY am I doing that now. I'm leaving at 29 weeks (i.e. as early as possible) and stuff the money.

You'd really need to talk to your work about it. In my last job I would have got 6 months full pay and 6 months half pay. In my current job I get 3 months full pay, then it's SMP. Although you are entitled to SMP most employers offer something above this for a certain length of time but the only way to know is to ask them.
There's also stuff about holidays. I'm a teacher, with baby due in April. There was no way I was willing to get SMP for July and August when I would usually get paid holidays anyway, but it turns out I will get those holidays paid regardless of when I go back as I am entitled to them, having worked all year. So I'm going to go back some time between October and January. I just have to work out how long I can justify not earning money.
That's something to watch out for Bee, you are entitled to at least some holiday pay :)

debecca said:
Bee :shock: that's shocking...

I was going to work till 35 weeks but NO WAY am I doing that now. I'm leaving at 29 weeks (i.e. as early as possible) and stuff the money.

I can't leave early - I want to be there so I don't mind. I really need the money as I will have to finish my probation year in aug via supply then can't apply for a full time job till they come out in March 2009! I won't be teaching till Aug 2009.

Which can be a good thing cos I get to spend more time with baby but i love teaching. I haven't had half the issues u have but I can't WAIT for the xmas hols!

My school is just toss, it's not the teaching. I love the kids and would happy be fine if it was just me and them in the classroom all day.

Anyway for my maternity GUESS WHAT?! I get the national legal minimum, i.e. 6 weeks at 90% then SMP. If I were in the state sector in a NORMAL NICE school I would get 6 weeks at 90%, then till 6 months at 50% then SMP.

My school are taking the p1ss! :wall:

I am in a council run school and I get nothing from them as I only started in Aug :( Not great timing so have to save save save!

I'm starting maternity leave around 13th January, the earliest I can go. I was going to wait a bit longer but I am starting to feel tired now, the journey there, the journey home, so thought...what the heck, lol.

I'm taking nine months off in total and wil go back part time. By this time Daniel will be 6 months old, my mum will be looking after him the days I work...she can't wait!!! :lol:

im leaving at 29 weeks but first 6 weeks are holiday ,

then i get smp + omp ( full pay ) for 10 weeks , then just smp till 9 months , last 3 months unpaid

debecca said:
My school is just toss, it's not the teaching. I love the kids and would happy be fine if it was just me and them in the classroom all day.

Anyway for my maternity GUESS WHAT?! I get the national legal minimum, i.e. 6 weeks at 90% then SMP. If I were in the state sector in a NORMAL NICE school I would get 6 weeks at 90%, then till 6 months at 50% then SMP.

My school are taking the p1ss! :wall:

State sectors schools are not quite a sgood as you think, if that makes you feel any better. I am getting 4 wks full pay, 2 wks at 90%, 12 wks at 50% plus SMP, then the rest at SMP. So not quite as good as you think but still better than you are getting. (i know so many people who say i would love to work in a private school they are so much better, but they obviously aren't!!)

ps glad that you got signed off, make sure you get lots of rest and don't go back after xmas if you don't feel up to it

Everyones maternity pay is different so I would check with your HR department.

I work in HR and use the following website all the time its really helpful and they have a helpline you could call and speak to someone about maternity employment law, they offer very good impartial advice.

www.acas.org.uk

Im very lucky with my maternity pay, they just increased it in Oct this year so I will be getting 12 weeks at full pay then 6 weeks at 60% then statutory maternity pay (SMP) for the remainder till 9 months then the last 3 months are unpaid.

I go off 21st Feb, full pay for 6 weeks then 1/2 pay for 6 months :) going back after the summer hols then I don't need to worry about childcare for the eldest

Ooh babylicious 21st Feb is my birthday - we can have a joint celebration :cheer:

sass, thanks for the up-to-date state sector info, I don't feel *quite* as jealous now :shakehead:

I know the state sector is not a bed of roses (I taught in it for several years before this job) but you do at least know where you stand and everything's not about school fees - there is at least some investment in the education of the kids which is after all why we do the job we do.

I think I'd probably be OK in a day private school but the school I'm at now wants its pound of flesh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back