Maternity leave??

Applecider

Reaction score
Hiya! When are you ladies leaving? For how long and do you have holidays too?

I won't have any money for the last six months so trying to budget now. What has your company offered you?

Exciting.... 10 weeks and 3 days left until 40 weeks xx

I've started mine already! Not entitled to SMP so had to apply for Maternity Allowance. Gonna be a tight budget on just £128 but I'll manage somehow!

I left at 36 weeks but was off sick before that, I don't regret taking the time off my job is hard. I get:

8 weeks – full pay
18 weeks – half pay + SMP
13 weeks – SMP (£128 a week)
13 weeks – optional unpaid but still have to pay into pensions (around £130 a month)

I'll probably go back to work when SMP runs out, but I only go back on 16hrs a week :) lucky me

I'm same as Rachel :) But I was off sick at 28 weeks for 2 weeks for my back and hip pain, and my mat leave was booked to start when I was 30 weeks anyways so haven't worked since 28 weeks! Not bored yet as everyone predicted. My maternity allowance hasn't even actually come through yet but we're hoping we can cope until it does, hopefully only a couple more weeks and I'll get all the backpayment :/

I'm same as Rachel :) But I was off sick at 28 weeks for 2 weeks for my back and hip pain, and my mat leave was booked to start when I was 30 weeks anyways so haven't worked since 28 weeks! Not bored yet as everyone predicted. My maternity allowance hasn't even actually come through yet but we're hoping we can cope until it does, hopefully only a couple more weeks and I'll get all the backpayment :/

I'm in the same boat - haven't received any payments yet and sent the form in before Christmas.
Had a letter from them wanting confirmation of my first day of leave, and it says they should backpay it. They better do cos I'm struggling with money now!

I wonder if they delay it on purpose?! I had a letter back because a couple of dates weren't filled in on my SMP1, but it looked like it was under the heading 'working abroad' so neither me nor my employer thought it applied. But the dates they could have worked out themselves! My due date was written in about 10 other places, but they had to send EVERYTHING back to me because it wasn't filled in in one place. Grr! Sent it back this morning, put a 1st class stamp on rather than use the prepaid second class they gave me lol. Will chase it up mid to end of next week :(

I go off on 2nd march (38 weeks) have one week A/L and the start mat at 39.

I get a pants package 6 weeks at 90% then SMP

How much do you bring home after tax on the SMP?

I'm losing over £1800 a month :cry:

I have annual leave starting 30th jan ( will be 37 weeks). Mat leave starts 10th feb (38+4). I get 13 weeks full pay, 13 weeks half pay plus SMP and 13 weeks SMP only. Im then taking 3 weeks annual leave (full pay again) so I return to work on 3rd dec xx

Last edited:
I'm finishing at 33 weeks as have 5 weeks holiday to take bit then I'm like you sue. 90% for 6 weeks then SMP for the remainder.

I'm losing loads a month too but fortunately hubby has a good job so we'll manage. Will just be strange for me not having money for myself xx

I'm on annual leave from 17th feb til 1st March and then on mat leave for a year. I get 32 weeks which I thought wasn't too bad and I might well go back before they year tbh.

The only thing I will say is if they don't give me my boy's first Christmas off I won't got back til next Jan xxxxxxxxx

I get 6 weeks 90% pay
Then 12 weeks half pay plus SMP
Then SMP until 39 weeks
Then nada until 52 weeks

I'll probably go back after 9 months or so because me not bringing in any money is just not affordable for us. I will be down A LOT a month when SMP kicks in. Hubby's wages just about cover the bills etc but will make for a miserable existence. Lol.

We r in the same position tor. I earn more than DH so it's gonna be tough!

I'll have 40 weeks of full pay, than 8 weeks with nothing and than hubby will have 12 weeks of full pay. Will have 4 weeks of holiday in the middle. I start my maternity leave February 16th:) Can't wait!

I'm due the same day as sleepy sue, and I have the same as her but I leave a week before her. I finish on 24 Feb, as we have a couple of weddings on the weekends after. But I get 6 weeks at 90% pay, and then on to SMP £128 p/w. I have saved since I found out I was pregnant so I have a nice little pot.

Where do you work that you get 40 weeks full pay??!! I want to come and work with you!! I'm a teacher so don't get to bank any annual leave, so am starting mat leave at 37 weeks. I get about 6 weeks at 90%, then 12ish weeks at 50% + SMP, then just SMP for 18 weeks. This might be slightly wrong but can't remember what my booklet says.

I'm the main breadwinner in my house and earn about 3 times more than my husband so things are going to be tight, but now we have finished our house renovation I'm trying to save shedloads of money each month to tie us over the gap where there will be nothing coming in.

In the USA they get 2 weeks full pay then nothing or something like that, I always think of that when I think I'm gonna be broke.

40 weeks of full pay? That's brilliant!

I have the added complication of my husband working in construction which is very volatile at the minute. He could end up out of work and then I'll have to go back regardless. I try not to think about it. :(

I officially started my mat leave on Tuesday gone (34 weeks) but actually finished Friday with getting taken to hospital. Won't get anything off the company just MA, which I'm still waiting to hear about, they do take there time. I'm planning on taking my 9 months, and then A/L tagged onto the end, however, don't know if that will go to plan as company seems to be going downhill right now. x

I've been on annual leave since 1st Jan (33weeks) and my maternity leave kicks in on 19th February (40 weeks). My company made me use all my holiday before I could take maternity leave as they said I couldn't put it on the end which was annoying but I am enjoying the time off. I only get 6weeks 90% pay then SMP till 33weeks. But hubby got a better job last year so for the first time he is the main wage earner and we have tried not to get used to spending his extra pay (just paying off debts with it) so hopefully it will be ok (provided he keeps his job, its in finance so volatile at the moment) and if interest rates rise I'll have to go back to work to pay the mortgage so we will just see what happens.

Wow some people have great maternity pay!! 40 weeks!! :)

I get 6 weeks full pay which I have to take, the another 12 weeks half pay plus SMP. This can be split across the 9 months I'm taking! Which is ok but only just pays my bills! Lucky my fella has a good job which pays bills too but we only left with about £200 for a month?! But at least petrol costs are down!!

Trying to pay my debt off as much as poss but it's difficult!

What's this family tax credit or allowance? Or child tax credit?? I've heard we get some kind of top up?!

Xx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back