Maternity leave help

PoxiePixie

Reaction score
I'm so confused, I've looked online and it says you have to tell your employers 15 weeks before due date when you plan on going on maternity leave, it also says you need to give 28 days notice. That's all fine but what about the Mat b1 certificate, does this need to be given at this time as I don't see my midwife until a few days before I could leave on maternity. I work nights so will be taking my maternity leave fairly early.
Anyone have any experience? Thanks in advance lovelies xXx

You should have been given your mat b1 at 24 weeks. Your employer meds that’s to officially register you as pregnant and fill in the all the forms they need to also so you get your stat mat pay

I know but I'm only 21 weeks, I'm not seeing my midwife till 28 weeks hence why I'm asking. I don't know when they need the form, I know I can ring the doctors and get it just not sure when I need it.

You need to hand it in before 25 weeks i think ,so you might need to phone doctors and get it before your appointment . :)

As far as I know, you can just inform them about being pregnant and wanting to take maternity leave by the time you're 25 weeks, and you can hand in your matb1 form anytime after that as it's just for evidence. I'm 27 weeks now and getting my matb1 form next week so haven't handed it in yet. HR here have told me it's fine and to hand it in any time, and you only need to inform them of dates 28 days before you plan to start maternity leave.

I find it confusing too. My maternity policy for work states I have to inform them of my planned leave day by the end of week 15 before my due date which for me is the end of next week.
I’m see my midwife Wednesday so I’ll get it then but I’ve got time off booked all next week so won’t actually be going into work. I plan on writing them a letter today to say when I plan to start my maternity leave and that I will bring in my MatB1 form once I return to work.

Perhaps just write them a letter informing them of your planned start date and when you should roughly receive your matb1 form, that way if they want it earlier you could call your Dr/Midwife and request it x

Your GP can also issue the form if you can get an appointment with them before your midwife? As long as you take your blue notes with you. Or maybe call the midwife, if she is busy then any other can fill it in for you as long as you take your notes to them. Silly really as you see them at 20 when you cant get the form and then not again until after your employer needs it. I asked my gp for it as I don't see my midwife again until 28 weeks

Thank you guys, looks like I'm gonna have to make an appointment with my gp to get the mat b. Why can't they issue it at the 20 week scan? Lol x

Because you cant get a matb1 form till after 20 weeks and I wasnt given an appt till 26 weeks I didn't have my matb1 form for work for ages. However, I had emailed HR weeks ago to outline all my dates etc and when I plan to return. They then sent me all the paperwork I need. Then once i had my matb1 form I handed it in. I think as long as your employer knows your dates it's fine. The matb1 is there to allow you to be paid maternity pay.

I've got my form it has to be given in 28 days before the start of maternity. I'm taking my maternity
leave as soon as I can due to work being quite streneous. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back