Maternity Exemption Card

Discussion in 'First Trimester' started by mandspice, Jan 15, 2008.

1. mandspice

mandspice Well-Known Member

Hii,

Does anyone know if this includes free eye tests? If so can you go to any optician or do you have to find an NHS one? Thanks!

2. Sherlock

Sherlock Well-Known Member

Not that I am aware of. Its for prescriptions and dental care.

I had a quick google and read that you are not covered for eye tests unless you are already claiming some for of benefit or support.

And if it is covered (does not say anywhere on the NHS site about it btw) it would only be via an NHS provider, not a private one.

If in doubt give an optician a ring or Google 'Maternity Exemption Card eye tests' and have a read of the results. Only took me 2 minutes :)

3. littlepip

littlepip Well-Known Member

No you can't :( I asked that. but i was claiming job seekers allowance so mine was free because of that x

4. mandspice

mandspice Well-Known Member

Thanks! I did Google it but there was some conflicting info.

xx

5. Rachael

Rachael Well-Known Member

Your Maternity Exemption Certificate only mankes you eligible for free NHS prescriptions and NHS Dental treatment.
    However if you or your partner recieve Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Pension Credit Guarantee Credit or you have an NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate you are entitled to Vouchers towards the cost of glasses or contact lenses.