Maternity clothes - what size??>

Small Flower

Reaction score
Hey girls,

I'm confoozed! In my head I had it that I would be mahoosive whilst being preggers and would have to buy tents!

I bought a pair of jeans in Feb time and bought them a size bigger than I normally am (bought size 16) and they still don't fit and wear a belt with them, and constantly pulling them up!

I'm half way through now, and need to buy a pair of work trousers soon, so my quessie is, should I just buy maternity trousers in my normal size (14) - is that the general rule of thumb?

My normal trouser size is 22 but my top size is 18. I was on a diet before I got pregnant and I continued to lose weight in the first trimester despite giving up the diet ASAP. Anyway my first maternity trousers were a size 22 and they were awful. Never fit me but it took me 3 days after buying them to figure out that they were useless so I could return them. I bought another pair at size 20 and they aren't as bad but I do need to pull them up quite a bit.
Just make sure that you are sure your clothes will fit before you get them. I've had to resort to joggies but I'll wear the size 20 trousers whenever I go out.

generally u need maternity clothes in the size you were before u got pregnant, but obviously if you put loads of wieght on all over u will go up and if u lose during first tri u may need smaller.

I've found that some sizes are WAY too big to be the size i want, they hang off my legs, and others, still hang off my legs but only just fit my bump now. Trial and error lol, but id try getting your normal size first

i had to drop a size in maternity from 12 to 10. i think it depemds on how you carry the bump though. Also as i have only gained 6 pounds and most of that baby i am myself getting smalelr (if i had know this would happen i would have got pregnant ages ago).

Sandi

If you purchase from the Maternity section then you buy exactly the same size as you would have bought from the normal section if you were not pregnant. So if size 10 before pregnancy then Maternity is size 10 too unless weight has been put around everywhere, not just bump

If you buy from normal section and not Maternity then you would just buy a size up. It is best to try them on if they have trial rooms because each shop I have noticed has a different sizing : a size 10 from Marks is different from a size 10 in Next for example...

In theory should be the same size, as said above...but I've found them to be cut a bit bigger all round (ie bum and hips too, where I haven't put weight on) so you may even need a size lower, depending how you carry your bump x

Ahh thanks for that.

I'm now clear on that, so I'll defo go for maternity trousers for work, nice and comfy in my usual size. And for other stuff like tops I'll just buy normal clothes and perhaps try them on first in a size larger than usual.

Before bump I was an 8/10, with bump I can wear a normal 10/12 top and provided they are under the bump size 10/12 bottoms (although they are baggy on the arse). My maternity jeans (£12 from new look and I love them!) are a size 8- I've been wearing them since about 30 weeks and just adjusting the elastic!

I haven't bought a lot of maternity clothes though- a pair of jeans, couple of tops and a pair of black trousers. You can pretty much wing it with bigger t-shirts, OH's joggers and flowy skirts! :wink:

I find maternity clothes to be slightly to big if i buy them in my normal size so i have been buying the bottoms in a size smaller and the tops my normal size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back