Maternity clothes (and a rant - sorry)

CountryGirl

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm only 7+5 weeks but I'm already struggling to fit into my clothes (mostly due to putting weight on and bloating).

I have been to Sainsburys and Tesco recently just to see if they have any cheap baggy clothes, but last night in Tesco I tried on loads of clothes along with trousers that were size 20/22 and none of them would even do up around my belly. Needless to say I burst into tears and had a cry in the changing room.

I spoke to my midwife friend and she said it's time to buy some maternity clothes. I feel silly buying them so soon though as I don't even have a bump yet, but has anyone else started to get some?

Also, I have no idea where to get them from. I know shops like Dorothy Perkins and New Look used to do them, but I remember when my sister was pregnant she couldn't find any as loads of shops had stopped doing them.

So any ideas would be much appreciated.

Feeling really down and upset with myself along with feeling like a beached whale. I've never been skinny but I could usually control my weight (I'm 6ft tall so pull it off okay) and I feel like I've let my body down. I've always had a problem with my body and my image (not being the perfect model shape) and I wish I was either slimmer or had a real bump! :-(

Hate all these media pictures of pregnant women with slim arms and skinny bodies and just a bump at the front. Makes me feel like an elephant. :mad:

Anyway - rant over. I feel like this :wall2:

Apologies. So...maternity clothes...

I had to buy maternity clothes in my last pregnancy at 8 weeks as my waist just blew. No shame in it. They're comfy and look better than busting out of your clothes. it'll all be forgotten once lo is here, it's only temporary :) I was devastated too at the amount of weight I put on 4 1/2 stone but if that's what kept my lo safe and healthy then it made the whole thing feel a little more beautiful xx

I got mine from mothercare and eBay had some quite nice stuff too

Last edited:
It's like I wrote this post... That's exactly how I feel at the moment!
It's especially hard with all this glorious weather when none of my summer clothes fit! I had 1 dress that fitted & then went and sat in chewing gum at the weekend, needless to say there was lots of tears! Also had a cry in Asda changing rooms when trying to find something to wear to work!
I think I'll get over it once people know I'm pregnant but at the moment I feel like everyone just thinks I'm putting on weight!
I've briefly looked at maternity clothes, I can't find many shops that actually stock them but there's so much choice online! I haven't bitten the bullet & bought anything yet but it won't be long before I stop being stubborn and accept the inevitable :)
As my DH keeps reminding me, we're not celebrities with personal trainers & nutritionists, we're normal everyday people and what will be will be. We can get back into shape later but we'll only grow this little person once :) xxx

I found maternity leggings a Godsend!

I managed 21 weeks in normal leggings then moved over and I have only just binned them a few months ago!! They are so comfy. I wore them with floaty tops / vests and flats in the summer and then used them with boots, my summer tops (layered) and a cardi and coat in winter.

I bought my normal size in tops but went for baggy / floaty styles! H&M were fab

xxxxxxxx

Exactly what Carnat said about leggings - they're soooo comfy! I'm 26 weeks pregnant and was a size 20/22 before pregnancy and I'm still in Asda size 24 leggings. Thing I'm gonna have to get bigger ones soon and I think Asda do maternity ones too. The ones I'm in come in full length and 3/4 length which I wear on warmer days.

If you really need maternity stuff and leggings and floaty tops aren't working for you, try ebay before you buy anything new!

Thanks ladies, that's so helpful and good to know! I think I will have a walk round on my lunch break and see if I can find anything.

Thanks calanacau! That's exactly how I feel! I just want to tell people so they don't all think I'm getting fat because it's embarassing! I have loads of maxi dresses that I normally wear in the summer but none of them fit anymore because I've put so much weight on! I feel hideous in everything so just don't know what to wear, and work is worst! I have been wearing leggings and dresses so far (and had to tell a couple of people that I'm pregnant because of this) because my work trousers wouldn't fit anymore and I can't get any bigger ones that are my length.

Leggings I think are definitely the way forward - thanks Carnat22. I will deffo be investing in some.

Glad I'm not alone, I do keep thinking that it's all for my baby etc but it still sucks. I'll see how I get on at lunch time!

xxx

No point going and buying normal clothes when you will outgrow them- when I have to go out and buy clothes ill buy maternity so I can wear for entire pregnancy give or take

I'm 8 weeks and my clothes are getting tighter - your not the only one :) chin up - xx

I'm a size 18/20 so not slim myself but when I was pregnant with my son I only bought like 10 maternity clothing items. I always wear leggings I hate jeans they hurt so I'm a leggings person and I just stretched them to the size of my bump lol. I did get a belly band to help as they started hurting slightly. Hoping do the same this time round and just get a few maternity and wear my leggings xxx

I had this exact problem and went to Next for some maternity skinny jeans... they're AMAZING! I'm wearing them with baggy/floaty tops and no one can tell. I'm 10 weeks now but bought them about 2 weeks ago.

Online is the best place and if you arrange to collect in store you can try them on and return them without any hassle... x

Peacocks do some decent maternity things if I remember. Also eBay is always worth looking at- there are loads of maternity wear shops, so it's not always 2nd hand

Last edited:
Asos have some fab maternity clothes at the moment!
I've just been looking at dresses and all these gorgeous maternity ones kept coming up, they only had about 5 when I was pregnant!

I was wondering this myself as im noticing that i have a small litlle belly now and my normal trousers are starting to feel tight.

Ive been looking on ebay for sum cheap stuff and im hoping to last till my bday(aug 6th)and then get hubby to take me shopping and get sum bits then esp new bras i dont think i can last much longer in these!!

Michelle. x

:hugs: I know the feeling hun! I've started to out grow my clothes already too and I'm only 6+5! I had to buy a new top yesterday a size bigger than what I usually get and you could still see my "bloated stomach" really easily! :wall: I wouldn't mind if it looked like a bump, but I just look fat!

Anyway, Mothercare, Newlook, Primark all do maternity clothes in my area and Newlooks website has them on sale too xxx

Thanks everyone! Going to have a whizz round now and see what I can find. I'll let you know! xx

I feel exactly the same!! I'm sure people just think I'm getting chubbier!! And it 's so hard to hide in this summer weather! I bought a pair of maternity trousers at 7 weeks and was embarrassed as it was so early but my belly has gone pretty big! I now have a few more maternity clothes too. Red herring in debenhams is good and there's places in London too (h&m, top shop and Dorothy Perkins). Bought a few cheapy floaty tops from primark too!

Thanks Smileygirl.

I went to New Look and they didn't have a massive section, but I bought a 2pack pair of maternity leggings which were really comfortable. Their work trousers are just too short for me though. Same with Peacocks, and they only had plain vest tops (which I bought one of) and plain teeshirts. DP and Next only sell online (which I can't be faffed to deal with!) so I'll try Debenhams tomorrow and Mothercare at the weekend. My sister said Asda do a big selection now (George) so I'm going to go there too. Do Top Shop do maternity then? I never shop in there.

I think once I've got some leggings and and bottoms I'll just look for stretchy bigger tops and should be okay.

Oh the joys! ;)

Wracking my brains thinking of places because there aren't that many.....Matalan have a maternity section x

No problem :) I don't know if many other top shop branches sell maternity clothes but the one in London (Oxford circus) definitely does! Good luck x

I'm nearly 30 weeks and remember this well. Maternity clothes are expensive and crap. The only shops near me with a maternity range were debenhams & h&m. Everywhere else is online early which is a pain. I've not bought many maternity clothes really. I've got a few nice dresses from asos which I've liked and worn loads. H&m do the best maternity leggings, so comfortable. Other things I've bought are just floaty dresses from primark and supermarkets. I've bought a couple of ones which end slightly below the knee so they've been ok when bump has grown and maxi dresses, not maternity just in bigger sizes. My advice is don't spend loads on maternity clothes. Get a few staples like maternity leggings and a really comfy pair of jeans, then stick to cheap shops in bigger than usual sizes. Jersey is your friend and avoid anything with a tight waist or bust. Good luck with the shopping xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back