Maternity allowance- help

Mrsmac1507

Reaction score
Due to not being in my current job long enough, I'm not entitled to statutory maternity pay, therefore have to claim maternity allowance. To do this I need to get an smp1 form from my work, which I think basically confirms they won't pay me stat mat pay, however they won't give me that form until I actually go on maternity leave which officially is day before I'm due, ( taking 3 weeks annual leave before that). This means I cant apply for maternity allowance til then, which seems a bit daft. I'll just have given birth yet need to go up and down to job centre to get this sorted out, and it'll prob take a while to process therefore don't know when money will come in, again unnecessary stress for me. Does anyone have any experience of maternity allowance?

Yes I've just sent off for mine, u don't ever need to actually go to the job centre, it's all done via post. I sent my mat b1 off with 4 payslips and they worked out an average and sent me a letter to confirm how much il receive each week. You can't then reply with your final dates of working until you have actually finished work, you include the date you want your maternty allowance payments to start, and they back pay any ur owed between that date and the date they actually get round to sorting it.

But your workplace can't legally hold ur mat1, they should give it u sometime after 28 weeks I think it is. Just tell them you need it asap, even ring the maternity allowance people up and tell them what your work are doing and see if they can contact them. Seems stupid them holding it til u leave?! I'd go mad! X

Last edited:
They can't hold your forms until you leave? thats ridiculous. Have you discussed it with them properly and mentioned it can take upt 4 weeks to get money paid into your account?

I sent mine off 2 weeks ago and got my first payment coming on Thursday :) and as lauralou says - you don't need to go to the job centre at all... took me 30mins to fill everything in and print off payslips.

xx

Thanks ladies, I did speak to personnel about it but I'm going to have to call them again. Glad to know yous have been able to get it sorted out well before baby arrives.

I was in the same situation, I phoned the job centre as they sent me all te forms. You just fill them out and send them 13weeks of pay slips within a time period (which they will tell you) and your mat b1 form with the form from your company saying they won't pay you, then send it all off and hopefully they will contact you as soon as :) you can put te forms in anytime up to 14 weeks before your due, but I did mine 14weeks before I was due and I'm yet to here back from them! Gonna chase them up this week I think, it's been 5weeks! Good luck :) x

Ah hope they don't take too much longer huni x has u had the form which says how much you will get?

I've just sent that one back, all signed, so hoping they start my payments soon! X

Nope, haven't had anything back from then! I go on mat leave on 13th july so it's really pushing it for time now :( do you min me asking how much you will be getting? I haven't got a clue what to expect!!xx

Im getting the maximum... £136 a week.. not great. But better than nothing!!

they take an average of 13 weeks worth of pay. and that average will be your weekly allowance. I sent off 4 of my biggest monthly payslips to make sure I got the most lol. they give u two dates (like april 2012 to march 2013) and you just have to send 4 months (or 13weeks if u get paid weekly) worth of payslips, up to u which weeks/months u choose but obvs send the highest ones in. they then give u the average amount from those months.

I was only working as and when so I knew I wouldn't get much so had to save while I was working to make sure I covered myself while im off.

Oh I see! Hopefully I get my letter soon, in only have one pay day left until I go on mat leave now!!x

I read of people who were waiting quite a while, but if there is any kind of delay u will get it backpaid anyway, just annoying when u need it and its not there! my tax credits are about £150 a month down at the mo cuz theyre using last years details as an estimate so still got to sort that out, urghhhhhh hate money! x

Also if your average is higher than 136 a week.. you will only get 136....

If your average is lower then you get the actual average..

Quite unfair really!

Your midwife will give you your MATB1 which you need to give to HR and the form to tell them you are taking mat leave. Then they should give you your MATB1 back together with a sheet signed why they can't pay you SMP sent that off together with Maternity allowance claim forms that you can download from DWP they will possibly sent some more **** sign that and it can take up to four weeks processing until you see a penny! Wish I knew sooner! Didn't get my MATb1 until late -.-'

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back