Mastitus ..your experiences ..

mrs_tommo22

Reaction score
Aww midna, im not a BF bu wanted to say hope it gets sorted soon and you can continue breastfeeding the greedy seed.

Budge is a pro on stuff like this.

The best thing you can do if you've got mastitis is feed feed feed off of the infected side to help drain it (don't worry there is no ill effect to bub). I had it really bad 3 times with DD and was so poorly, I've never been that ill before so you have my full sympathies.
Antibiotics and the mastitis may slow the supply down in the infected breast, but as long as you keep feeding off of it then it will soon recover. Also warm compresses (like a flannel soaked in hot water (not boiling), or a nice hot bath and trying to massage as best you can (I know it hurts like hell!). Get your rest, try to eat and drink as much as you can bear.

Any questions fire away and I hope you feel better soon :hug: Make sure you finish the course of antibiotics aswell as even if you're feeling better it can still be lingering around.

Sometimes it just happens when a duct hasn't been drained properly, it gets blocked and then infected :( Are your bras tight fitting? That can cause it. I'm sure I got it because of the way I slept one night!!

Definately feed off of the infected side, a lady I met at a postnatal group after having DS had to give up breastfeeding after being wrongly informed not to feed off of the bad side. You can imagine the state her boob was in after no feeds and not being drained :puke: Poor woman!

Kellymom has some good info on infected mastitis, it says on there to make sure you continue feeding as if you don't it can increase the risk of abcesses, yikes! With Ella I could barely hold her so I expressed, but obviously babe can get milk out better than a pump so if you feel ok to hold and feed then that's the best cure.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

Good luck hon, hope you're feeling better soon!

I know it's bad isn't it? I remember not being able to get warm and lying on the sofa with my dressing gown on, the duvet, hot water bottle and still shivering! Then being completely boiling :roll: At one point I was lying on our slate floor in the kitchen (it was January!) with DH putting bags of frozen peas on me because I was so hot :rotfl:

I got mastitis when Tia was about 2 months old... I was told the same as these ladies were.. Just feed feed feed off that boob. And then even express off that breast too. I was also told to get in a really warm bath and just massage the top of my boob where the duct was blocked... It hurt like hell but it really helped.

Warm flannels and frozen cabbage leaves were lush too.. :) Alternating between those two depending if you've got sweats or chills at any given time. I dunno why cabbage leaves but they were really good. :think: So are the antibiotics and pain killers of course ;)

Bloody hell you poor thing :cheer: :cheer: hope it sorts itself for you!!!!

yep feed asmuch as you can off the infected side. I always found a hot water bottleto the sore area before feeding helped, plus it helps get your milk moving.

Antibiotics are great, but just be aware they ca also cause thrush so keep an eye out for any symptoms around that (white bits in baby'smouth, nippleslooking shiny, burning pain when feeding)

Hope it goes soon, mastitis is a bitch

Oh, I sooo feel for you! I've been breastfeeding for two months now and keep getting sore, painful lumps all the time - not sure why. When I first got them, I didn't really know what it was or how to treat it and it turned to mastitis! Awful, awful experience. I strongly advise (as most of the other ladies have done already) to keep feeding from that breast - i know it hurts! :(

Warm baths are very good too, very comforting. Cabbage leaves didn't help me but nurofen did (I also had the occasional co-codamol when the pain was really bad and that helped too). Oh, and my hot water bottle and my blanket, as I was shivering all the time!

That poor lady! I was also advised by my GP (!) not to feed from that breast. Fortunately I didn't follow his advice as I saw another doctor and a breastfeeding expert the same day and both said that my GP is rubbish lol!

Hope it goes away soon :hug:

Hi Midna,

Hows you and your boobs feeling now? are you fever free now hun.

Drink as much as you can.... and if you really really don't feel like eating, try getting as many cuppa soups/milkshakes/yogurt drinks as you can... but you really need to drink SOoooo much when you are breast feeding...

You could try getting some fennel tea too (tastes like cat wee) but it's apparently quite good for increasing your supply...

:( ww it sounds awful hun - but i guess you just have to think positively that youl feel fine soon and Wednesday is happy :D :hug: :hug:

Hi Midna,

I had mastitis, really bad fever, felt like someone was stabbing a knife into my nipple every time he fed, shaking, etc, etc.

Feed off the infected side a lot. Massage it before you feed to get rid of blockages and lumps. ANd the hot compress before feeding also a good idea.

Also, savoy cabbage. Sounds crazy but you use the leaves inside your bra against your breast. It actis like a poultice and really soothes the pain.

Other than that, strong painkillers regularly. Something like ibruprofen is best as mastitis is inflammation and these painkillers are designed to combat inflammation aswell as pain.

If you're having probs with the penicillin, you can have a different type of antibiotic. I'm allergic to pencillin and I was prescribed a different one (can't remember what it's called now).

Hope it gets better, it's definitely a btich but hang in there.

K.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back