mastitis and supply

Nicnax

Reaction score
Hello again ladies,

Sorry for another post on this- does mastitis affect milk supply? Molly has seemed to be feeding for a long time at each feed today without seeming satisfied, has not pooed (first time since she was born), and had a dry nappy when we got her up first thing :( she has has had a normal amount of wet nappies today, but not quite as full as usual, if you know what I mean? I gave her a bottle of expressed milk at bed time, and she wolfed down 8oz, as if she was starving. I have been offering the bad boob first at every feed, and then the other one, although she usually gets enough from one boob at each feed. I tried to express from the bad boob earlier, and got half an ounce, and I usually get 8! I have been really rough- my temperature has been 102, and I haven't been able to face food, but I have been making sure I have been drinking as much water as I can, and orange juice to give me some calories. I am really worried that my supply is right down, and that it won't come back. We will have made 6months next Thursday, and I'll be gutted if this has spoiled things for us. I have a fair bit of frozen milk, but I wanted to carry on a bit longer. :(

Just keep going easier said then done I'm sure. I haven't experienced this but it could be because you're not eating enough and poorly. I'm well impressed with 8oz! I'm rubbish at expressing. My bubs doesn't poo every day. And dry nappy might have something to do with heat? Does she feed through the night? If b doesn't feed much in the night her nappies can seem quite dry. Hope you start feeling better asap. Xxx

She's been sleeping through the night since she was about 3months, so we normally find these comedy heavy nappies in the morning, so a dry one was a shock. And she is a big pooer- she has had at least one poo per day since birth (sometimes 7/8!). I had figured the hot weather might play a part. Got some good advice from a breastfeeding advisor- apparently boob s can feel emptied in hot weather, as babies take more watery foremilk in the heat, which is what makes you feel full. Windmill is produced on demand. I really hope that everything gets back to normal- I don't want to be forced into stopping. X

Ah hun thinking of you. Maybe just keep going and I'm sure she'll be getting enough especially if you're offering the second boob as well. Maybe it's a growth spurt as well if she's nearing weaning age if you haven't already started on solids xxx

Yep, we are starting her next week- I have lots of little pureed cubes ready for her in the fridge! Although I'm not sure what she'll make of it- she got hold of the prescription bag that my tablets came in (bad bad mummy) and tore shreds off it with her gums (even worse mummy), and thankfully didn't have a clue what to with it- just sat there with in her mouth, so I was able to hook it out! I suspect food might be the same to begin with!

I guess I'm mostly worried about dehydration, but I will keep an eye on her. I made myself eat a plate of pasta tonight, so maybe that will help. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back