Many questions

maldives

Reaction score
Hi girls,
sorry i've been away for few days i was feeling terribly dizzy and my back hurts alot!
My 18 week scan went well :dance:
but i do have many questions and i thought u ladies would help me the most.
1-I always wax but now i find it much easier to shave. question is is it normal to feel stings after shaving my legs? whats is the best way to avoid them?

2-I'll be giving birth in london and my family usually likes to shave babys hair as it helps it grows better! thing is im terrified to do it my self even my husband is it usual to shave babys head there just for once? r normal hair dressers capable of this?

i have never heard of the head shaving both my kids hair has grown fine without, i wouldnt want a razor aroung a newborns soft skull, dont know if a hairdresser would do it for u :?

hey, welcome back, sorry you've been feeling rough.

I'd try using sensitive shaving gel on your legs and avoiding perfumed products after shaving for a few hours. But if they only sting a little then i wouldn't worry, mine always do!

As for the hair thing, i've never heard of it done! if you have a proper shaver then it should be safe, i'd have a word with a few hairdressers see what they think :)

Lots of lather and wet skin when you shave. If its too dry or not enough lather it can sting afterwards.

And :? about shaving baby's head. I've never heard of it being done and tbh, I'll happy with the head of hair (or lack of it) my baby is born with and not want to shave it for anything :?

I'd be very wary and certainly not want to do it myself or let anyone whose not experience do so. Its up to you, but if you don't want to shave your childs head then don't. And don't allow yourself to feel pressured by your family to do it either. Always a first time to buck tradition :lol: Done that a few times myself and its quite liberating :lol:

Also I'd be dubious about shaving making it grow back thicker or better. End of the day, a baby's hair will either grow or it won't. Some have thicker quicker growing hair than others. Nothing wrong with that :) I think its maybe a bit of a myth as is leg shaving supposed to make leg hair grow back thicker. Its a crock, it doesn't, it just feels that way as you chop the smooth end off and are left with a coarse regrowth that gives the impression of being thick.

Hope you are feeling a bit better soon :) :hug:

OK did some reading as I was curious. General opinion on the shaving head seems to be its a myth. There is no real science to back it up.

Downy Hair Covering At Birth

Although some babies are born totally bald, most babies are born with a soft, downy head of hair that is frequently light in color. The down is very soft, almost like what you see on baby ducks.

This newborn fuzz will usually only lasts for the first three or four months after birth. The fuzzy newborn hair gradually falls out (for reasons that are generally unknown) and new hair grows in. The new hair is generally much fuller than the newborn hair and tends to grow in a set pattern.

Usually the hair that replaces the down is more along the lines of the texture and the eventual color that the baby - child will eventually have although not guaranteed.

This is important to note because many people/parents are alarmed at the downy appearance of the hair. It does shed and it does change.

Because babies go through the first year of their life with little or no hair, they obviously do not require much hair care. Yes it is true that sometimes babies are born with no hair at all. This is not all that uncommon so if your baby has no hair, don't panic.

The Myth Of Baby Head Shaving

A common myth is that is you shave your baby's head to remove the down that the baby's hair will grow in a lot thicker or even a different texture. This is a myth with absolutely no scientific proof.

Absolutely false. The reason that this all started was because when people do get their hair cut it just appears to be thicker. In reality, it is not. It just appears that way.

This has been a pervading myth for a long time and has been debunked over and over. While cutting hair removes dead or split ends and allows the hair to look healthier and less scraggly, it does not help it grow faster and/or thicker.

I also read one woman's account of her baby's head being shaved by her grandmother and they both worried about cutting the babys head with the razor. And apparently the baby woke up and cried and moved around so it made it all the more difficult and took longer. The account said it was very soft and was therefore very difficult to shave off.

I think maybe do some research yourself and see what you think once you've read it all :) I know which side of the fence I sit, but if you are facing a cultural and family tradition it may take more than a simple 'no' to others, if you decide not to shave baby's head.

Oh Shelock thanks alot hun this is more help than i expected . it does make sense now to me that its really just a myth. thanks alot i really appreciate ur effort :hug:

hi hun

are you feeling better now after your scan? I hope so. For shaving try using a sensitive shave gel and a good, clean new razor. After you could use Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm ( for men) to reduce any irritation, thats what I do much to OH bemusement :lol: PLEASE PLEASE DONT shave your babies head though, it sounds truly awful :(

x

I would really advise not to get the babys head shaved, but if you feel like you must do it, or really want to, get proper advice about it. It sounds awful to me, and i was even to scared too cut my babies fingernails when they got long LOL so id be a nervous wreck shaving their heads!

When James was a newborn I used to get really paranoid about damaging his fontenelle, soft spot thing. It's so soft and squigy I'd be terrified of hurting him.
Just the thought of touching it makes me feel funny, it was scary enough cutting the fingernails :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back