Making up milk

Linzie2012

Reaction score
At the moment I'm combination feeding as baby struggles to latch at a percentage of the time, mainly in the nights.

Otherwise I express and fed him in a bottle, this way the whole situation is more relaxed for everyone involved & better for baby I believe.

Last night though I had ran out of expressed milk so had to make up a bottle, I prefer to not have baby waiting for his feed.

So question is:

How long can you keep made up formula milk for that's just for use in the night and made as late as possible ?

I'm using SMA - First infant breast / combination formula

Hi linzie :) I'm not sure exactly but I wouldn't keep milk made up for more than an hour, 2 max! My baby takes 6oz every feed so What I do is before bed I fill a flask with boiling water and also fill 2 bottles with 3oz cooled boilled water then when baby wakes up for a feed a fill my bottle with 3oz boiling water, add the milk powder, put the lid back on and shake then add the 3oz cooled boiled water and it's perfect temp for her.
Hope that makes sense and helps a bit! :) x

If you have £65 I highly recommend the Tommee Tippee perfect prep - I cannot comment from a breast feeding perspective as we purely used formula after a traumatic birth and bf experience, but this literally changed our lives- bottles are made up fresh within two minutes. Search it on amazon and they should have a deal.

I went down this route because I found information on making up bottles conflicting from midwives/health visitors.

Makes perfect sense Ginty - Thank you !

I've expressed hard today so hopefully I can get ahead of him so thee is always one there.

There is so much conflicting information Jolly, it's hard to know what follows. I bought a remade yesterday that must of been 10oz, he cannot take that in 2 hours but you got to throw after 2 hours - Why do they make the bottles so big ??!

I also express for the night time as my LO doesn't like breastfeeding at night...
Sometimes I need to use formula if I haven't been able to express in the day. I came across the small ready to eat cartons that have about 7oz in them. My LO takes about 3 1/2 to 4 oz per feed so if I need to give him 2 formula feeds in the night I take the carton upstairs with me with a bottle and use half the carton for his first middle of the night feed and then I pop it in the fridge straight after (it's able to use again once opened for 24hrs) I then go downstairs for his 2nd early morning feed and pop that into another bottle and use my bottle warmer. It was only £9 and it's basically a flask. They are about 60p a carton so it is fairly expensive but if it's not often then it's not too much of an expense! They are great if like me you don't or can't breastfeed when you are out in public too! My LO is a fussy latcher so breastfeeding in public places is a bit of a no go!

Hope you manage to find something that works for you! I've found combi feeding is not without it's struggles!

Mine is also a very fussy latcher. He can sometimes latch within seconds, and then next feed he will fight with me and not latch at all but dive on a bottle. I don't attempt to try boob at night now, he gets so worked up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back