Making up bottles

Mommaof2

Reaction score
I’m just debating whether the perfect prep machine is worth the money.

I know what the guidelines say about making up each bottle fresh but I’m wondering if everyone follows the guidelines and boils the kettle then waits for it to cool down or if people use alternative methods of making up bottles?

No judgement, just curious.

I’ve never formula fed from newborn so this is all new to me.

I used to cheat and warm my daughters milk up in the microwave, making sure I shook it thoroughly, although I know this isn’t recommended due to possible hot spots.

The perfect prep machine starts from 4oz so I have done both with this baby.
I make my feeds with the kettle the way I did with my 6 year old which is make it a couple hours before needed with boiling water add the formula and let it cool a little before putting in an insulated bag.

There's so many ways of making bottles, the rules change often!

I got a prep machine but only used it a handful of times as lo didnt take as much milk when I used it. I make the bottles as and when now. In the morning I fill my flask with boiled water which has cooled for around 15 mins so I have water ready straight away. When poppy is due to feed I make a bottle knowing I have 2 hours to use it once mixed with formula.

I also have premade cartons in stock for when poppy is really impatient and I can just crack one open straight away!

This is the way I do it and works well for us, everyone has a different routine!

Last edited:
I think most people do try to stick to the guidelines because it’s all based on the good and bad bacteria in the water/milk. You don’t want to kill off the good and allow the bad to be present within babe’s food source. It’s to try to prevent necrotising entercolitis of the newborn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back