Making up bottles

kittykitchn

Reaction score
I've breast fed exclusively for 3 weeks and have now added formula in (for various reasons).
Have been using read to use cartons and warming in a mug but we'll be going out to buy powder tomorrow.

Now I have no idea about the best way of making up formula bottles. There is so much conflicting advice.
What is the easiest and quickest way? Especially for night feeds. If I can avoid going downstairs that'd be great!
Apparently you're not meant to make up a few in advance, but it seems that plenty of people do.

I've breast fed exclusively for 3 weeks and have now added formula in (for various reasons).
Have been using read to use cartons and warming in a mug but we'll be going out to buy powder tomorrow.

Now I have no idea about the best way of making up formula bottles. There is so much conflicting advice.
What is the easiest and quickest way? Especially for night feeds. If I can avoid going downstairs that'd be great!
Apparently you're not meant to make up a few in advance, but it seems that plenty of people do.

I used to boil the kettle before I went to bed, pour into a flask and take upstairs with me - this then kept fine for the two night feeds I was doing at the time. To make the night-times run smoothly, I used to pre-measure the scoops of powder and put them into containers all measured out, so I didn't need to worry about counting while half asleep! I also took a bowl with normal water in, in case I needed to cool down the feed - i'd stand the bottle in it, once made, while I changed my little boys nappy. By which time, it'd be perfect temperature.

Flask on the shopping list then... I do have a perfect prep machine, just wasn't sure whether I wanted to use it or not really.

What about when out and about? The last thing I want is a screaming baby waiting on a bottle to cool or heat up - the thought makes me pretty nervous

Flask on the shopping list then... I do have a perfect prep machine, just wasn't sure whether I wanted to use it or not really.

What about when out and about? The last thing I want is a screaming baby waiting on a bottle to cool or heat up - the thought makes me pretty nervous

Buy the Tommee Tippee flask, it keeps water hot for ages. When I'm going out I fill the flask with boiling water and take 2 bottles with me - one with cooled boiled water in it and one empty bottle. I pour a bit of hot water from the flask in the empty bottle and add the formula and mix, then just top up with cooled boiled water. Check the temperature but most of the time it's fine x

I can't recommend the prep machine enough, particularly for night feeds!

If I'm out and about I take a flask too, and if I'm in a cafe or whatever I'll ask for a jug of cold water to cool the bottle down x

Also, you can set the machine up in your bedroom to save you going downstairs x

My first boy was a summer baby and I would just take the pre boiled water out with me in a bottle. Add the powder and serve at room temperature without heating up! He didn't mind and found it less messing! My second baby is due in October so I've bought a perfect prep machine as think with it being colder a warmer bottle may be preferred. Xxx

We use our perfect prep machine (I actually don't know how to do it the "traditional" way!).

We used the ready made bottles when out and about and LO was always happy with it at room temp so didn't need to warm x

I was going to say, she's pretty happy with cooler/room temp bottles. If I can avoid heating that'd be great. Am I able to add the powder to cooled boiled water as Moomin suggested? Or does the powder need to bevadded to freshly boiled water?

Last edited:
The powder needs added to the boiled water then cooler water added on top - well that's what the perfect prep does haha! I believe it's to kill off any bacteria that may be in the powder (that must be rare).

We just felt that although the ready made bottles are a more expensive way, I couldn't be bothered faffing with flasks when out and about and I figured surely the boiled water still cools down in the flask therefore not quite killing off any potential bacteria?

I'm still so confused... why am I so confused?!

If you make up full bottles with powder and water and put them in the fridge in advance, I don't see why that's such a bad thing - surely they can last 6/8 hours?

Otherwise can I do that without the powder? Then add the powder and top up with boiled water as needed?

Maybe I'm over complicating things in my head...

The perfect prep is amazing if you can get your hands on one. Failing that, for night feeds I would use the mini bottles of formula and then in the day do similar to what the perfect prep does:
Add an ounce or so of hot water (70 degrees+) add powder to kill bacteria
Then add cool boiled water to make up the right amount.

The perfect prep is amazing if you can get your hands on one. Failing that, for night feeds I would use the mini bottles of formula and then in the day do similar to what the perfect prep does:
Add an ounce or so of hot water (70 degrees+) add powder to kill bacteria
Then add cool boiled water to make up the right amount.

What did you keep the cooled boiled water in? Was it a large amount for the whole day?

And there's no way to make a bottle at room temp (other than cooling it or letting it cool)?

As far as I know you always need to cool them or let them cool. Formula isn't sterile so needs to go into boiling water (or over 70degree I think) to kill germs. The prep machine bottles are warm but not that warm, it's only enough boiling water for the formula to go into and the rest is cold water.

I think some people do make up bottles fully, allow to cool and put in fridge then heat up when they need them but it's recommended these days to make each bottle fresh as bacteria can build up pretty quickly in milk. My daughter never really got on with the pre made bottles, she had colic and reflux and I always found she seemed worse after those. Lots of people get on great with them though but quite expensive compared to making bottles yourself

It's perfectly fine to make all bottles for the day and keep them in the back of fridge and heat with a bowl of boiling water. They keep for 24 hours according to world health organisation. I did this with dd1 until I discovered the perfect prep! No need for warming it up cos it's perfect temp :) I also never heat up ready made, your lo will take whatever it's used to x

It's up to you to decide whether you want to keep them in the fridge or not. It goes against guidance, but many people do it with no issues. Kept the water in a jug with lid in the fridge that I had Milton-ed. didn't do that for very long though, just got the perfect prep!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back