Low iron

itchycoo

Reaction score
I've been given iron tablets, 210 mg ferrous fumarate 3 times a day as they were very low. Just wondering how long it took people's iron to increase? A month later and it's exactly the same as it was - 8.9! Tablets are awful thought they may have changed them for me but nothing

It takes three months for iron or any sort of vitamin/blood levels to change. Your blood completey renews in three months so some blood will be good and others not. Sorry to tell you! But in two months time you could be off them for good :) good luck. If you are really hating them there is a liquid version and capsule versions but gp/pharmacies can be very fussy.

Thanks for the reply, I'm due in 8 weeks time if it's still this low I'm not looking forward to labour, back at midwife next week may ask if there's anything else I can take

Although it can take a long time to get back to normal I think there really should be some difference within a couple of weeks.

If they are worried enough you can get iron infusions which are very quick acting but have side effects for quite a lot of people.

Last edited:
I also had low iron throughout my pregnancy. The ferrous fumerate wasnt helping much and so they sent me to the hospital to be placed on the iron drip which gave me a great boost ready for labour. Is this an option for you? I would mention it to your midwife. There is no need for tablets once you have had the drip and it only takes half hour.

Prior to pregnancy o had low iron levels, I was advised to not drink as much tea, drink fresh orange juice ( not from concentrate) and eat plenty of iron rich foods such as broccoli and peas. I also found when you take your tablets can have an impact, I think they said to try and take them before food so that they can absorbed quicker with vit c rich food.

It took a couple of months for mine to increase but I did get there.

Thanks everyone, I'm back to have them checked next week so will see if anything gets suggested or if they've risen any

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back