Low iron levels :(

BKR123

Reaction score
Had my midwife today, and she said my Hb levels have dropped from 128 to 106, 105 and below would mean I'm no longer a low risk pregnancy :( I can't underatand it! I eat a healthy diet and take folic acid daily and still they have dropped :( shes prescribed me iron tablets, I've heard these can cause problems in theirselves? Anyone had any issues with them? Really don't wanna be any thing but a low risk as I wanna use the birthing centre, I wrk in the hospital so the thought of having baby on a war seems a little like going to work to have a baby! Also, baby is breech still, I am only 30weeks but she hasn't changed for about 6 weeks now :( my mum had me and my sister at 36-37 weeks so I'm expecting mine to be early too as I have followed my mum exactly so far, just worried she won't turn! Anyone ha a breech baby turn late? She's completely the wrong way - not just sideways!x

I'm sure baby will still turn. Fx for you.
Good luck with the iron tablets, can cause constipation. Try and up your red meat and leafy greens alongside orange juice. I'm sure you do all that though.
I want a home birth so I'm desperate to keep my iron levels good. They were excellent to start with but last time I had some tests for an infection they'd dropped. It's frustrating as I take daily vitamins and eat a balanced diet too.
My doc said it's partly due to your blood being more diluted.
Fx your iron tablets do the trick hun xxxx

I'm taking iron tablets 660mg a day. (I think that's right) but I've had no probs with them so far. I think they've made me feel more awake.
People have bowel problems with iron tablets usually.

Not sure about breech babies but heard gym balls are good for helping them turn and all fours. Someone else might know better.

Hope baby turns for u soon xx

Tapatalking. X

I had low iron...105 hb and only 5 ferritin!!
I was told to take ferrograd c but one tablet made me vomit for 3 hours solid!! I tried the liquid forms too but they aren't strong enough to actually have an effect.
The GP at my birthing centre sent me straight for an iron infusion within a few days. She said if there are other options then they should be taken...it's not worth being ill over!
I do, however, live in Australia so they are a bit more willing with their public health care system. It's worth asking for though as I felt like a different person within 10 days of the infusion and when I had my bloods taken again 3 weeks later my ferritin level had jumped from 5 to 163!!! A perfect candidate for the birth centre!
My low iron wasn't caught until 34+2, had the infusion at 35 weeks and blood checked again at 37 weeks.
Good luck!!
Oh, and as for a breech baby, you still have time but it's worth doing some exercises...have a look online. I was told to look on the Spinning Babies website...lots of exercises for both breech and posterior babies! Xx

My iron level has dropped to 96 so I've just started iron tabs. They can cause constipation so make sure you drink plenty of water and have lots of fibre, also taking with something high in vit C (like orange juice) helps with absorption. I was told to avoid taking at the same time as having a cup of tea as it stops absorption. If you don't get on with a particular type of tablet my mw said you can ask to be changed. Hope your levels are sorted and can have your birthing centre birth x

Is thst really true? Less then 105 Is high risk? Mine was 121 pre preg, 117 at ten wks & 103 now. Yet no ones discussed my results with me, I only know as I looked them up myself (naughty) I have taken iron tabs for years as always on the low side for no reason. Stopped when Pg and the drs didn't seem to care but ill be pissed off if that now means I am high risk :-(

I'm sure baby will turn, plenty of time still :) I don't know what position mine is but Im sure he's never been head down as I've never felt kicks or movement higher then belly button!

Dont worry hun plenty of time to change things. It takes 3 months to fully replenish iron stores so get taking those supplements asap :)

Xx

Spinsugar-apparently 105 would be classed as high (ish) risk for a midwifery led birth centre but hospital birth is ok. They mentioned to me something about not having enough 'reserves' if you were to have a heavy bleed post birth.
I was told the most important level they look at is the ferritin angway as this refers to the actual iron. A very low ferritin level combined with a lowish haemoglobin level is what they look for. Hope this helps xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back