Low ferritin - ferrous sulphate

Discussion in 'Second Trimester' started by Ashbee, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Ashbee

Ashbee Well-Known Member

So for the past couple of weeks Iv been feeling very dizzy, faint, knackered, light headed and occasionally see white esp in the mornings. I work 12 hour shifts on a busy hospital ward and Iv had good few near misses of the floor! My heart palpitates and I lose my breathe very easily. So I made an app with the doctor and got bloods done 14th June. Didn't hear from them so assumed they must have been fine then I went to my 24 week midwife app this week and turns out my ferritin level is 5 which is VERY low. Iv been on iron tablets for weeks as they thought it was low hemoglobin but since I have very little red blood cells to store the iron it's been a complete waste of time. So Iv been put on ferrous sulphate. The midwife told me to serf certify off work but I've never been off sick in my life so a little hesitant but I do dread going in incase I pass out!

Anyone else have low ferritin levels?

2. Jasmine111

Jasmine111 Well-Known Member

I was put on ferrous sulphate aswell but felt well enough to go to work. I was told my iron levels were low but I wasn't anaemic. If your really not feeling well you should take some time off to rest to look after you and baby xx

3. Applecider

Applecider Well-Known Member

My level was also 4! I am on the same as you. Vitamin C helps absorb so taking it with fresh orange juice. I only found out because my hair fell out and we wouldn't work out why! Why don't we have as much red blood cells? My ferritin goes down so quickly! Xx

4. MrsB2105

MrsB2105 Well-Known Member

I don't know my level but I'm on them as I have become aneamic .... If they don't rise at 32 weeks I may have to go in for a drip, similar symptoms to you but I put it down to work as like you I work in a hospital which is non stop on my feet, I am now off and resting (annual leave before mat leave) it has eased some symptoms too x