Low ferritin - ferrous sulphate

Ashbee

Reaction score
So for the past couple of weeks Iv been feeling very dizzy, faint, knackered, light headed and occasionally see white esp in the mornings. I work 12 hour shifts on a busy hospital ward and Iv had good few near misses of the floor! My heart palpitates and I lose my breathe very easily. So I made an app with the doctor and got bloods done 14th June. Didn't hear from them so assumed they must have been fine then I went to my 24 week midwife app this week and turns out my ferritin level is 5 which is VERY low. Iv been on iron tablets for weeks as they thought it was low hemoglobin but since I have very little red blood cells to store the iron it's been a complete waste of time. So Iv been put on ferrous sulphate. The midwife told me to serf certify off work but I've never been off sick in my life so a little hesitant but I do dread going in incase I pass out!

Anyone else have low ferritin levels?

I was put on ferrous sulphate aswell but felt well enough to go to work. I was told my iron levels were low but I wasn't anaemic. If your really not feeling well you should take some time off to rest to look after you and baby xx

My level was also 4! I am on the same as you. Vitamin C helps absorb so taking it with fresh orange juice. I only found out because my hair fell out and we wouldn't work out why! Why don't we have as much red blood cells? My ferritin goes down so quickly! Xx

I don't know my level but I'm on them as I have become aneamic .... If they don't rise at 32 weeks I may have to go in for a drip, similar symptoms to you but I put it down to work as like you I work in a hospital which is non stop on my feet, I am now off and resting (annual leave before mat leave) it has eased some symptoms too x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back