Lost my temper - feel awful!

Mummy_13

Reaction score
My son is just over 2 and a half and the past 2 weeks or so he is just sooo grumpy! He has massive tantrums about anything and everything form the minute he wakes up!
This morning I went into his room as he woke up and we had a lovely cuddle and came downstairs for breakfast. I asked him what he would like for breakfast and he said cereal. I poured him a bowl of cereal and put it on the table in front of him. He then started crying and yelling "I don't want cereal, I want toast!!!" and pushed the bowl of cereal on the floor. I could feel my anger rising already (not helped by the fact that id already been up since 5 with my 1 year old!) and then as I was clearing it all up I noticed he had gone quiet and turned around to see him looking like he was straining. I asked him what he was doing and he said a poo! (he has been toilet trained for quite some time now and hasn't done a poo in his pants for months!)
Well I lost it! I grabbed him by his arm (in a way that he could definitely sense my anger) and dragged him to his room (I didn't physically drag him but you know what I mean). Then I grabbed him by his face to make him look at me and really shouted at him in his face!
I took 2 minutes to myself and calmed down and changed him and then he said to me 'you're being horrible mummy' which broke my heart and I apologised for losing my temper and gave him a big cuddle and he seemed fine but now im at work replaying it all in my head feeling SOO incredibly guilty and scared of what im turning into. I just want to rush home and cuddle him forever!

I guess im just looking for some reassurance that im not the only one that has lost it like that and tips for contolling my anger in future??

Thanks in advance

Everyone looses their temper at some point. If I feel like I'm going to loose it I just walk away, leave the room and give myself a few minutes to calm down. Don't feel guilty you're only human xx

Really try not to worry about it, I lose my temper more than I should and end up raising my voice or being overly harsh to Felix and he's only 13 months!
Kids have a way of getting us to our limit of what we can cope with faster than anyone else.
They also need to know that we have limits and that we have feelings too!
As long as you've not physically hurt them then it'll be fine. He's not going to remember if it's not happening every day.
My friend recommended a good Toddler calm book on kindle which might be good though if you feel like you're starting to lose it, can't remember the name but I'm sure if you do some googling you'll find it xo

Aw just wanted to send you a hug, it's horrible that guilt.

I have also removed myself from situations to calm down and also when my kids have tantrums I try to ignore them then talk with them when they are calm as my youngest used to thrive off negative attention making it a vicious circle!

Anyway have a hug, all mums get stressed X

I loose my temper too!! Don't worry hun we all do! My dd1 is on the whole very well behaved but it's her whinging that really pushes my buttons! Since having dd2 I am less tolerant! Then I have guilt because she's been through so much change recently should I be a bit more lenient? Then I think I don't want her getting away with murder and turning into a brat! It's wrestling match with my subconscious! X

Its all about being a mum. Toddlers pushing our buttons and boy do they know which ones to hit!

My little boy is going through spells like this. I had a hour and half of him paddying at the table last night because he supposedly didn't like what he had for his tea..... He was lying he just wanted his own way. After telling him off several times and him shoving the plate away i had decided enough was enough and plonked him in bed! 5 Mins later, he decided sausage and mash wasn't so bad and ate it up!

I know what you mean though. We had a really bad spell in Jan/Feb and I was forever losing my temper and telling him off but then I would feel bad because he is just learning and I need more patience. We all experience it. Don't beat yourself up x

You are totally human sweetie. Its hard work being a mummy. I have lost it on more than one occasion with dd and you will remember it for so much longer than they ever do. Don't get yourself down, we've all been there. Draw a line under it and move on xx it may happen again, and that's ok. Doesn't make you a bad mum xx

I lost my temper with my 2.5 year old today. She's been playing up since DD2 came along. I can't cope with her atm. She even pushed a little girl in nursery today. I'm so mortified that she did it. I couldn't get out the nursery quick enough xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back