Losing Weight with a chronic illness

Colovaria

Reaction score
Hey Ladies!

I have Fibromyalgia, and have done for nearly ten years. I used to be a skinny wee size 12, even started my Phase One army training!

Halfway through my training I started getting phantom aches, foggy memory, excruciating pain etc. I was sent to the Dr in the barracks and after about three or so months he landed on a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. That was me, out on my arse. I completely understood. I was a liability. I came home and saw my own GP and sure enough after seeing rheumatologists and the rest, it was confirmed.

Since then I've got married, I'm in the middle of a good education, and life has sort of settled a bit.

Problem is...with being inactive for so long I've put on so. much. weight. Between painkillers, hospital stays, steroids and a plethora of other medications, not being able to go out or go to the gym or do anything remotely physical, I'm at the heaviest I've ever been.

Hubby and I have put TTC on the back burner until I lose weight, as PCOS as well means I rarely have a period and it's even rarer that I ovulate, even if I do have a period!

But! Now that my Fibro seems to have buggered off (hopefully for another ten years!) I need to get back into shape.
I'm not happy with the way i look, in fact I hate myself.

I can't afford the gym, and have never had any luck with weight watchers or slimming world groups. Around here the groups are led by horrible women and are attended by nasty, stuck up people that make you feel awful about yourself, very cliquey! It wouldn't be the first time I left the Hall in tears because they've all laughed if you don't lose more than 1lb a week!

Anyway!

Does anyone else have experience of losing weight with a chronic illness?

I basically live on chicken and rice, and do my best to watch what I'm eating, small portions etc

Hiya,

I have chronic fatigue syndrome (which has luckily taken a step back and I've got a sense of some normality now), and am I yoyo weight loser. I never had the energy to exercise, so just stuck to portion control and calorie counting. I don't believe in faddy diets - it literally is all about eating less. You need a deficit of 3000 calories to lose 1lb - so cut your calories by 1000 per day, you should lose a pound every 3 days.
I use My Fitness Pal app when losing weight, and record every single thing that I eat or drink and do my best to cut out anything that isn't needed, or exchange something for the same thing but with less calories (even different brands of the same thing have different calories) - every calorie counts!

I don't eat dairy or meat, which I believes help a lot.

If you are feeling up to it, spend 10 minutes in your living room watching a fitness video on Youtube and join in when you can, even just once or twice a week.

Last edited:
Hiya,

I have chronic fatigue syndrome (which has luckily taken a step back and I've got a sense of some normality now), and am I yoyo weight loser. I never had the energy to exercise, so just stuck to portion control and calorie counting. I don't believe in faddy diets - it literally is all about eating less. You need a deficit of 3000 calories to lose 1lb - so cut your calories by 1000 per day, you should lose a pound every 3 days.

I use My Fitness Pal app when losing weight, and record every single thing that I eat or drink and do my best to cut out anything that isn't needed, or exchange something for the same thing but with less calories (even different brands of the same thing have different calories) - every calorie counts!

I don't eat dairy or meat, which I believes help a lot.

If you are feeling up to it, spend 10 minutes in your living room watching a fitness video on Youtube and join in when you can, even just once or twice a week.

Thanks for your reply :)

It's the lack of energy, and subsequent lack of motivation, that kills any attempt for me, too.

I will definitely try a wee fitness video or something, don't know why I never thought of that. I think yoga or Pilates would be a good option for me too, I loved it way back when, and I'm sure it'll be good for muscle pain and flexibility.

Thank you!

Hi my mum has fibro and spent a long time being really inactive and poorly. About 4 years ago she started trying to cut down on her pills and today she's so much better

Kitty's right about simply eating less but you said you live on chicken and rice so I get the feeling you don't eat loads but you really need to throw some veggies in there to. Do you eat wholemeal rice? Or could you make some cauliflower rice? Unlike kitty I'm a big carnivor and love meat and dairy but I personally think it's everything in moderation. At times when I've wanted to lose a few pounds I've cut the carbs down and stuck to meat and veggies

Also I don't know what you drink but try and stick to water, maybe with a slice of fresh lemon. Fizzy drinks are gross and do you no favours

There are great apps you can get such as map my walk. It shows you how long you've walked for and how far you've been and you could try to get a bit further each day at beat it

My mum had a yoga DVD at home and loved it. She used to take the dog for a little walk then do some of the DVD, over time her walk Became longer and longer and then she'd do the DVD for longer to

My mum also liked swimming, can you do that? She said if she did have a few aches swimming was the best exercise for it

Before I fell pg with this baby (no.2) I was desperate to get myself back to my pre first baby weight for my own sanity. I followed a diet called The Terri Ann 123 diet which is based on facebook. It is based around a high protein boost for 10 days and then alternating between protein veg and high protein every other week. It is easy to follow and the facebook group is a fantastic source of support and motivation. There are lots of chronic pain/chronic illness sufferers who have had brilliant results and seen their symptoms diminish....good on the PCOS side as well. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back