LOs behaviour - my child is a monster!

Hunnie

Reaction score
Right so a little background information, LO has always been hard work where being in to everything is concerned but she has generally always been very well behaved when out and about and with other children.

However recently she has started throwing huge tantrums - the kicking, screaming, throwing herself on the floor, stomping feet type. The tantrums happen at any time, particularly when she's been told no or she has been asked to do something like come and sit down and put her shoes on, and she will have these tantrums wherever she wants and will not stop until she has worn herself out or has become distracted with something else. During the tantrum she gets progressively worse and more violent to the point where she makes that much of a scene when we are in public that just 5 minutes feels like a lifetime of embarrassment!

I've tried a few methods to try and prevent the behaviour happening such as moving things before she comes into a room so there is no potential argument caused and when we are at home I will generally just walk off and ignore her while she's having these tantrums but in public it's a lot harder to do this and Im starting to dread taking her out unless she is asleep!! Also sometimes she will even tantrum when I do even the simplest of things like pass her her dummy or put her in her car seat to go out.

Sometimes half the problem when we are out and about is that she wants to walk so I let her but then she will either sit down and refuse to move and then cry or when I go to put her in the pram because she mustn't want to walk anymore she just cries even more?!?! I really can't win!

She's trying to talk at the minute and Im thinking some of this anger is frustration on her part but Im thinking that this is maybe the start of terrible 2's? Or is there still worse to come from her lol

How do other mummies manage this type of behaviour???

I'm at my wits end with the little monkey!!!

Last edited:
I just posted about this the other day. I think it's something they all go through to some degree.

:(

Don't have much advice other than stick to your guns as if you break you teach them that screaming/tantrums = get what I want :shock:

At her age it's probably frustration, the terrible twos happen because they're frustrated - they know what they want to say and how they feel, but they can't express it! So they get frustrated and throw a wobbler! I completely sympathise though, I've just had a hellish trip to the shops because E just doesn't like to be told what to do :lol: she's 3.5 and is just so strong willed! I keep being told she'll embrace it as she gets older and will be really sucessful as she won't stop til she gets to where she wants to be, but it's not s lot of help right now :lol: I tend to try and talk her round and eventually give in and just plead whilst huffing and puffing and pulling my hair out! I am definitely the mummy everyone looks at, but I kinda don't give a shit now and ignore any looks :oooo:

I just posted about this the other day. I think it's something they all go through to some degree.

:(

Don't have much advice other than stick to your guns as if you break you teach them that screaming/tantrums = get what I want :shock:

That's the type of parent I don't want to be lol!! The type that lets their kid get away with stuff! I know if I give in im just making a rod for my own back so i just grin and try to bare with it but its so hard. Especially when people are staring at you! I think you can tell who has already been through it as they sympathise with you but its the ones that give dirty looks who I can't stand!!!

Alice I think you're right, she's strong willed like Ella and likes to do things her own way and that's pretty much the only way in her eyes. I took my eyes off her for max 5 mins while she was playing in the lounge and I was plating her tea up to come back and find that she's climbed up on to the chair and then onto the table and then sat waiting in her highchair ready for me to bring tea in!! :shock::shock::shock:

We are going through this too, one thing I find helps is giving lo options like which shoes the blue or the white instead of come and put shoes on, it gives them choice and independence while still getting things done, when I'm out I had the same problem with the buggy so I got rid of it, he sometimes wants carrying but now knows he has no choice but to walk. We are also always saying use your words show me what's wrong but it seems to help. As for paddys when saying no to lo let me know if you find a solution. I tend to ignore him but he never really dangers himself or anyone.

I hadn't thought of giving her the option! I think we will have to invest in another pair of shoes so she has a choice at least, although she likes wearing her brothers posh trainers that stay at our house a lot lol!

:lol: I've given up trying to stop E climbing now! Im a bit more comfortable now I know she's got a little bit of sense and will take calculated risks rather than just doing daft things! Although she did throw herself off the coffee tableabout 20 mins ago and landed on her head :roll:

I think picking your battles is essential too, I'm quite relaxed about some things so I can be stricter with others!

I hadn't thought of giving her the option! I think we will have to invest in another pair of shoes so she has a choice at least, although she likes wearing her brothers posh trainers that stay at our house a lot lol!

Shoes was just an example tshirts were a battle with my lo now he picks a choice of two and then puts it on and shows anyone who will look lol. He also loves helping with housework so we do that when I can't get stuff done because of his behaviour. He loves doing the washing.

Oh the joys of tantrums

We were in a shop the other day OH let Keira walk we only wanted a few bits, so far round we got to so vases ect so OH picked her up OMG what a tantrum hitting crying I had to laugh then he let her down and she took a full blown tantrum on the floor I said to her " Keira nobody wants to hear your tantrum so come on" I walked a little away and said bye and she soon followed OH ended up taking her back to the car

But I learnt the lesson ages ago hopefully OH might of done now if she walks and you pick her up she will have a tantrum where as if you just stick her in her buggy she's fine at least you can carry on with what your doing.

And as far as climbing goes I can't leave her for a second lol she's on the couch in her highchair so we have now removed the highchair and got her a "big girl" table and chairs to sit at for tea.

Our main problem at the moment now is when she goes in the garden when it's time to come in she screams the house down :(

And I give up on asking her not to do things and saying no ect as she just looks and laughs :( hopefully next week shall be better

Shoes was just an example tshirts were a battle with my lo now he picks a choice of two and then puts it on and shows anyone who will look lol. He also loves helping with housework so we do that when I can't get stuff done because of his behaviour. He loves doing the washing.

I do let her help with the washing machine and tumble dryer only problem is when she goes a bit ott with the washing powder lol!!

Oh the joys of tantrums

We were in a shop the other day OH let Keira walk we only wanted a few bits, so far round we got to so vases ect so OH picked her up OMG what a tantrum hitting crying I had to laugh then he let her down and she took a full blown tantrum on the floor I said to her " Keira nobody wants to hear your tantrum so come on" I walked a little away and said bye and she soon followed OH ended up taking her back to the car

But I learnt the lesson ages ago hopefully OH might of done now if she walks and you pick her up she will have a tantrum where as if you just stick her in her buggy she's fine at least you can carry on with what your doing.

And as far as climbing goes I can't leave her for a second lol she's on the couch in her highchair so we have now removed the highchair and got her a "big girl" table and chairs to sit at for tea.

Our main problem at the moment now is when she goes in the garden when it's time to come in she screams the house down :(

And I give up on asking her not to do things and saying no ect as she just looks and laughs :( hopefully next week shall be better

This is basically what happened at the weekend and to be honest I made the situation a lot worse than it would have been.

We went shopping in tk maxx and LO was in the trolley and started kicking off and in my half concentrating mind, I let her get out of the trolley. This was ok, until she started playing near the stairs! As soon as I took her away from the stairs the argument began and she spread it out across 2 shops :(!

I'm hoping it will be easier once she's talking and can tell me what she wants properly instead of whining or screaming at me lol!

I think the high chair is going to have to go though! Just caught her trying to climb out of it (she managed to get out of the harness) but the way she was going would mean she would land face first on the floor! If/when we move, I'm going to buy her a tiny table to eat her tea from I think and one she can sit at to draw or paint.

I think as well I need to do more things for her but its hard round us as there aren't many groups and I don't have many friends with babies! X

Our high chair went when E was still really small! I did use a chair booster for s while which worked quite well! I know I should get out more with my two, but it's just too much effort some days :blush: even a 2 minute walk to the park is challenging! My aim for today though is to teach her to ride her bike without stabilisers! Which does depend on whether I can get the stabilisers off :lol: but it'll give us something to do and is something for her to focus on!

Well we had one hugeeeee tantrum today and I still don't know where it came from!!!!

Came out of Morrisons and gave a LO some sausage roll to eat in the car while we drove home. She happily ate half and then threw the rest on the floor and started screaming her eyes out to the point where she was hysterical! Pulled over, checked her nappy as she had a touch of skin irritation this morning but all was ok , tried to give her her dummy and she wouldn't accept it and carried on screaming to the point where I thought she was going to be sick!

Managed to get home by which point she still hadnt calmed down and was throwing herself on the kitchen floor rolling and kicking and screaming.

I didn't know what to do so stripped her down to her vest, t shirt and nappy and put her upstairs in her cot with the blackout blind down and her dummy.

She instantly stopped screaming, settled herself but never closed her eyes and I brought her back downstairs when I heard her giggling. She was like a different child again!!!

Is she teething?

We've been having some strange meltdowns lately, though I think they are teeth related. The big top teeth are coming down at the minute and I think she's suffering, though bizarrely we get these meltdowns at the same time of day when she gets home from nursery :eh:

I get headbutting/rolling around the floor/screaming its awful to watch :( I hope it is the teeth and it passes quickly because I don't like it!

I'm really not sure, it's strange though because teething has never affected her behaviour before now and just usually gives her nappy rash. I think the nappy rash this time was from the lasagne she had the night before and bad mummy forgot to how acidic tomatoes can be!

I'm going to try giving her gels and granules anyway though just incase.I'm open to trying anything at the minute.

I'm really not sure, it's strange though because teething has never affected her behaviour before now and just usually gives her nappy rash. I think the nappy rash this time was from the lasagne she had the night before and bad mummy forgot to how acidic tomatoes can be!

I'm going to try giving her gels and granules anyway though just incase.I'm open to trying anything at the minute.

My LO loves tomatoes :lol:takes after her mummy, i never thought of the acid :roll:

Keira's last few teeth are on there way in I think she only has 4 more to come and I've had to buy her nurofen it's been that bad and we have had a few really bad nappies, I would say it could be related to teeth coming through but I also think it could be the terrible twos on there way :wall2:

Today we were in tesco and bad mummy took her out of the trolley well she climbed out.
And that was a big mistake OH had to take her to the car just a good job we were nearly finished.

We bought her a slide today hahaha bad idea daddy she face planted the floor poor thing she doesn't slide down it she climbs it I should just buy her a climbing frame with a big crash mat under it

Another thing I've noticed which I think is teeth related is she seems to be picking at her food and not eating a lot iykwim hope it passes only 8 weeks till we go on holiday and the way she is at the moment I'm not looking forward to it.

Hunnish I wish some of us pf ladies lived closer I have no friends or know anyone with babies other than family

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back