Long/irregular cycles and provera for ovulation

becky85

Reaction score
Evening. I have read somewhere that if you have longer than average cycles (45+ days) then there is a chance you are not actually ovulating and a bleed is the result of shedding a heavy lining rather than ovulation. Is this true? Iv had long/irregular periods for years and for a time took provera if I didn't have one for 3 months. I was quietly concerned this might result in difficulty conceiving but after a 'provera period' last year I fell pregnant and thought nothing more of it - other than I had either been lucky with timings or actually there was never anything to worry about. I never thought that the provera may have had an impact on this but now in wondering if it might have done? Now ttc no2 and still have issues - my little girl is one and I've only had two periods since she was born. I've started using th ovulation strips but if my cycles are so long again then I have no idea when to start testing apart from every day. Im wondering if I should go to the docs about taking provera more regularly if that might be the issue but just wondered if anyone else had any experience or more info on this that they could share?

Hi, I was given provera for my pcos even though I ovulate naturally. Provera does indeed bring on periods. We're you actually given a proper diagnosis? As it sounds like you may have pcos. In any case, not bleeding every month or so is not good for your health so I'd go to your GP xx

It can happen that way or you could just ovulate very late. I've been pregnant twice on natural cycles, on those I ovd on CD69 the first time and CD79 the second. I did mc both but I have been told numerous times this was not due to late ov and was other factors.

I've had bleeds induced a few times but never fallen pregnant afterwards. I think it could help to reset your body but don't think it helps in any other way.

Did you have any diagnosis for your long cycles? If not this is something I would look in to as then you may be able to find out what you can do to make them shorter/more regular. Mine are due to pcos.

Hmm ok thanks both. When I first had some tests about 8 years ago they said I had pcos but then more recently, maybe about 2 years ago they said I didn't so to be honest I'm not actually sure. Now that we are ttc it is probably a good time to go back to the docs for some advice. thankyou for your replies X

That sounds very similar to me except I have what's called high fsh levels, basically I don't ovulate regularly. When I fell pregnant with my daughter that cycle was 7 weeks long . Well now I've not had a period since December, again 2 since having my daughter. I've restarted acupuncture to try and regulate like before. It's so frustrating. I'd defo go to your GP and try get some tests done x

Last edited:
I'm also struggling to get my cycles going and haven't had a period since February. I just did a round of black cohosh for 5 days, but didn't see the small plug of cervical mucus like I do when I ovulate. Got a headache when I went off it and slept and slept. Now I'm switching off to progesterone cream. Idk what that's going to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back