log burner in house..

kazzerly88

Reaction score
Hello all

We are buying a property with a log burner that powers the radiators.

My friend recently had a baby and was saying how safe she feels with her thermostat radiators and that log burners are bad as baby can't regulate own heat... I'm starting to worry about this :/

This is the only ptoperty we can afford and there isn't likely to be a suitable alternative anytime soon.

How would you manage keeping baby suitably warm with this type of heating??

Thanks

Log burners can be great. I think your friends info is a bit wrong. You might not know the exact temp but they do work. I'd buy a geo egg so you know the temp and dress accordingly. And use lots of thin blankets in layers if needs be

There should still be controls on the radiators, from your description I assume the log burner is just instead of a boiler and therefore your heating system should work in the same way as any other central heating. If there aren't controls on the radiators in most cases you can have them fitted. This was a popular way of heating many many years ago and it has made a bit of a comeback in recent years, you have been able to get grants to install them as they have been deemed environmentally friendly and efficient. I was a building inspector so have seen lots put in over the last few years.

We live in Portugal so a different climate but we don't have central heating (or air conditioning) in our house which is pretty common here. The houseis cold in winter and hot in summer. Honestly it can be annoying with a newborn but it is not as big a deal as you'd think. Lots of people here deal with it and you get used to it. Sleeping bags are great when it's cold. I am sure it would be nice having a perfectly temperature controlled house but really it's a pretty modern thing and not what the majorityof people in the world have so not essential for a baby :).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back