Little tips!

I agree with waking a baby every 4h, because like Nats LO, J had jaundice. When I first got transfered from Delivery to Mat ward - it was 8am. He didn't open his eyes until 8pm that night. I had to keep trying him with a bottle!

Also, when J went through a stage of having reflux he would want 5oz evry 3h and that was just too much so he became constipated, and not happy. So if 5oz every 3h is too much, then I assume feediing every 2h is too much unless you are cutting the oz's but even then, its important for babies to sleep in the early days!

xxxxx

I woke mine every 3 hours as she lost quite a bit of birth weight. I would never have let her gone longer than 4 hours though.

Yet again, another one of those things that people will have opinions on when your baby is born but you'll figure out what the best course of action for them is. What might work for one baby might not work for another!

Last edited:
I never woke mine for a feed, screw that they will wake up when there hungry, baby books are a waste of money you can find the same info online and most of it isn't needed, babies will do everything at there own pace --- think about it have you ever seen a child go to school who cant walk (bad example but the first I could think of obviously disabilities are an exception) but you see what I mean they all get there eventually and you don't need some 'expert' worrying you something is wrong.

I found nappy bins a waste of money it was easier to just put them in the outside bin than waste so much on those cartridges and it just took up more room. But some people swear by them.

From the get-go in the hospital, then the midwives, HV etc, were all adamant that it should be every two hours, so i didnt think to question it. My LO was a particularly sleepy baby though, so maybe that was it?
Or maybe it was to keep my supply going since we were having feeding issues? I guess i'll never know now...well in that case feel free to disregard that then, every two hours wasnt a great deal of fun, it was much easier a few weeks later when i let him do his own thing :)

WOW this is a great thread! Just sat and read it all VERY VERY intensively (my first bubba!). Defo going to copy this link over into Tri3 for us ladies, just to be on the safe side as there is SOOO much useful info!

Thanks again Ladies and PLEASE PLEASE keep the tips rolling! :lol:

Go second hand! If you're on a budget it's a godsend. We've saved about £2k on what we'd have spent if we'd got it all brand new. Baby stuff is often in great condition as people don't always use it long.
Also you don't HAvE to get a top brand pram. We got a pushchair and car seat from joie which was £135 in a sale and it looks great. Just look at what you need and go from the're, don't worry about getting the trendy one (unless you can afford it I guess!)

Also I find washable breast pads are much softer and lovelier than disposable ones xxx

My issue with 'baby clothes' was that I worried bub wasn't comfy?

Jeans and trousers sometimes looked really restrictive on James - despite being generous in size??

There is so much more variety with girls stuff though??? Boys is just jeans / trackies / chino's whereas girls have leggings and tights which will be more comfy.

xxxxxx

i agree with this - young babies never look comfy in jeans imo! and tbh anything with a tightish waistband doesn't exactly help with any colic or reflux problems! In fact, I had to buy all my daughters clothes as one piece suits as she had reflux and anything with elastic around the waist made it worse! I don't say plain baby gros all the time, but you can buy some lovely day time ones with pictures and patterns on:)

Oh and I may get shot down but I think nursery furniture is the biggest rip off -- its a wardrobe and a set of draws with a cot that people pay hundreds for, they don't need to be mammas and pappas and cost a fortune, buy second hand or cheaper un branded but I only bought a cot you would be amazed by how little anyone see's your nursery and what a waste of time it is. Whats wrong with a wardrobe from ikea?

Pound shop do these nappy bags that are in a roll -- two rolls for a pound, and there nice to put in your bag in a pocket and unroll one as needed, takes up less room. And there really thick and smell lovely.

Oh CLARKS SHOES!! We have spent a fortune on them and do you know what happeded last time, we went in, got her measured they said '4g' so picked some out and they didn't fit so they said oh just try a size up etc. well whats the point in getting a measurement done if your just going to have to try on different sizes anyway? The woman didn't understand what I was trying to say she just said 'different styles have different fittings' and I said they should be the same fitting no matter what size as you make the shoes to measurements. IFYKWIM
So now I don't buy clarks I get her shoes from Asda Next whatever but im not paying £30 for a pair of shoes that don't even fit her right.

Every man and his dog will want to give you advice, even total strangers, in some cases! Unless it's welcome advice, just learn to smile and nod, and don't take it to heart. When you're hormonal and tired, it's easy to take it as criticism- it's not, . It's just that people love to share their own experiences. As long as baby is fed, warm, clean and cuddled, there's not much more that is necessary.

Sometimes babies just cry. For no reason. Try and keep as calm as possible, and work in shifts- when Molly had colic, hubby and I would take it in turns to rock and cuddle her, whilst the other left the room for a timeout.

Distraction is an amazing tool! Sometimes, you can head off a crying episode, by changing rooms, walking round the garden, going out, or simply giving baby to someone else to hold.

Enjoy snuggles- at 6months, Molly is so nosey, it's nearly impossible to get snuggles now. :(

Fill a small squirty bottle (you can grab them from Boots etc) with Olive Oil - yes the cooking type(!) and use it instead of bepantham/sudocrem as nappy cream. 3 of my friends swear by it and none of their children have ever had nappy rash. Perfectly safe and very good for skin - and cheap! xx

Olive Oil is also a great alternative to baby oil as its a food so absorbs into the babies skin and its what they advice for baby massage x

I second Umbongo's recommendation of going second hand. A lot of our things are after DS, but we got a bargain with our pram, it's an O'Baby Zezu Dotty & we got it for £50 (or it might have been £70) second hand from an old work colleague of mine. My mother also bought a Moses Basket (big American style one) for £200 instead of the £300 it should have been (though we get reminded regularly it's only a loan :roll: )

ooh also, look for ex-display items, we got Boo's bouncer for 25% off just because it was the window display one & didn't have a box. There was no sun damage to it as the store is in a dark market so was a complete bargain (they even delivered it personally for free!) x

WOW LOVE THIS!!! I've scribbled a lot on my little post it note at work ha!

oh & when LO is older, invest in a Jumperoo! OMG it was a bloody God send & Connor LOVED it

I agree with borrowing or going 2nd hand with a lot of baby items. My cousin had a baby 6 months older than Max so she lent us the moses basket and bouncy chair, which was great as we only used them for a few months and you never know if your baby is going to use them. I have friends who spent a small fortune on a bouncy chair only to find their lo screamed whenever they were put in it.

I also used to find my OH was better at settling Max for a nap as he saw me he saw 'boobs' and would instantly moan for a feed. It was also great for OH to be able to be the one to tend to him while I had a much needed soak in the bath. Speaking of baths if you need to give your milk some encouragement I found breastfeeding in the bath great, it's also a lovely bonding moment.

I think someone mentioned a white noise app, I would 2nd that. Max still goes into a trance at the sound of the hair dryer :) I'm also a big subscriber to not keeping the house silent just because you have a baby in it. When we got home with Max we had the washing machine going, tv on, dogs running about and as a result Max could sleep through pretty much anything - and still does! Although saying that I did have a note on the door warning people not to ring the doorbell - but that's just sensible ;) xxx

Last edited:
If baby goes rigid or floppy, or has a temperature, phone 999/get to A&E now.
Other than that, whatever's wrong, no matter how much screaming's involved... Baby's okay. Instead of panicking, phone NHS helpline if you're in any way concerned. They'll set your mind at rest, and it doesn't matter how many times you call them :)
If baby has got a temperature, you'll know. There's a difference between "ooh, the baby feels warm", and "omg the baby's on fire!"

Go out now and get saline drops, a booger sucker (only the top class medical terminology), baby olbas oil, an oil burner, and some tea lights. Some olive oil or vasaline (sudacrem/bepanthen are a waste of everything). I have now got Metanium nappy cream as for the first time in 7m, Cay's got nappy rash from squiffy bum, and the Metanium has made a massive improvement. Some baby calpol and nurofen (Cay hates calpol, is quite happy with nurofen). Gripe water.
Sooooo much better to have these in the house and never look at them again, than desperately need one or the other at 3am with no possible way of getting it.
With the oil burner... Put water in the top with a couple of drops of olbas oil, put a tea light and a lighter by it, and put the lot somewhere near (not right next to) baby's night time area. When baby wakes for a early morning 2/3am feed, light the candle. The vapours will help clear baby's nose.
Also, if LO is snuffly, raise the head end of their cot/whatever by a little bit (pillow under mattress, books under cot legs) as this will help the mucus drain away.
Practise using the booger sucker on OH... It's tricky at first to click that you gotta hold the other nostril closed at the same time.

If you have breast milk... Don't just feed it, shove it everywhere.
Snuffly baby? Drop of breast milk up each nostril.
Cut on baby's skin? (They scratch themselves so much!) Wipe with breast milk on cotton wool/whatever.
Nappy rash? Smear on some breast milk.
It's an AMAZING healing aid, full of personal antibodies an stuff.

Keep an eye on local Facebook selling sites for (everything) half-used nappy packs. Get half packs of every brand you can get your hands on and figure out what works best.
Personally... Pampers stink, and look ridiculous... Fit all funny. Every other brand works pretty well. Aldis own are amazing.

Don't waste money on baby nail clippers, use your own. When baby is asleep, nip half way across each nail and tear it off.
Do one hand on nap and the other the next, if need be.

Everyone's "image" of a baby is actually of about 6m-ish. Your newborn baby for [weeks] will eat, sleep, cry, poop.
That's what they do.
That's all they do.
They want to look at you and daddy, and sleep. And eat. And poop. Lots.
Toys mean nothing to them at this time.

Sleeping bags are immeasurably better than blankets, certainly at night time.

When people give you advice, look thoughtful, tell them you're definitely gonna give it a go, and ignore them (if you wish). You'll be amazed at the crap people will come out with.

Use the carry cot part of your pram for longer than when baby out-longs it.
If you don't want to put LO in a pushchair/thing just yet, but they have good head control, sit them up in one end of the carry cot. They'll be able to see around, and absolutely love it.

For the love of dog, don't panic about "well, baby A is two days older than my LO, and A's already competing in triathlons while my LO can't even hold her head up". All babies are different, and learn at different times.
How many teenagers did you go to high school with that had to wheel their head along in a cart beside them because they never learned to do it alone?
(If anyone here says they knew someone like that... Lol).

Baby will cry.
And cry.
They can't talk, wave you over, come tug at your sleeve... They can cry.
They'll cry because they're hungry/sleepy/wet/hot/cold/just want to. That's literally their only way of getting your attention.
Just because baby is crying, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong.

Love them, cherish them, take pics of everything. They grow so damn fast.
Bugger the housework.

TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS.
I'm the least maternal person in the world (well, was), and I can tell you, instinct will take over, and you will be surprised at how often what you "feel" is right, will actually be right.

Think sometimes even the proudest mummies find it hard not to get caught up in the comparison with babies.

J is constantly getting compared to OHs cousins LO - now it doesn't bother me. But when your a new mummy as you know hormones go to pot..

Even now I've seen a few mummies be sucked in and feel down, its not easy.

xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back