Little tips!

ive got a sling i can back carry my 27lb tall toddler in comfortably but you do have to be careful with slings and its often best to try before you buy, look out for local sling librarys with the NCT, theyre awesome.

I just found it uncomfortable and it was just always easier to use the pram, It was just a hasstle to get on and off so I wish I had tried first! xx

As im sat here with a snuffly baby, it reminded me - buy a baby saline nasal spray thats suitable from birth. I'd have it in the cupboard ready for when your LO gets a blocked up nose.

Our LO got his first blocked up nose at a couple of weeks old and it was in the middle of the night, poor thing was miserable, no shops were open and we had nothing in. To be honest it hadnt even crossed my mind that baby might get a blocked up nose when i was busy buying everything else ready for his arrival.

If you have a autum/winter baby and have radiators on most of the time put a dish of water quite near the radiators so its not producing dry heat, this can make a new baby very stuffy and have cold like symptoms. Both my babies been born in November and this helped me lots! With my second I actually got a mini humidifier that had pretty lights on that changed colour and used it in bedroom at night time!!

Last edited:
I'd never have thought of this, Doodles was always full of cold & griping & he was a winter baby. This LO is due October so just in time for the chilly weather (I love October-December!) x

Some fantastic ideas.

I've changed alot of my plans already haha !

Thanks Ladies!

My best thing was our wrap - the moby - means you can be hands free if baby won't be put down. Stay away from
'High street' slings as they tend to get uncomfy quickly.

Don't stress about housework

If people want to help - say "yes please can you...l - then give them a task!! Lol. - even if they sit and cuddle LO while you go for a shower lol.

Don't 'stock up' - if you want to be prepared put the money away. I gave away 5 full packets of tesco size 2 nappies cos every single one leaked on my LO. Most of the johnsons creams etc didn't get used - put away money then buy what suits ur LO.

My other tip is dont waste time signing up for the 'freebies' - most of our 'freebies' weren't used, but the amount of junk post/emails I get is awful!!!! They are rotten marketing ploys and you prob don't need the freebie in the first place. X

No need to spend a fortune on travel systems/nursery furniture. Me and OH got a full travel system for £50 off gumtree after going to view it and having a go with it. It was nearly new condition. As for nursery furniture we went to a local baby store and for cotbed, wardrobe, chest of drawers/changing station and matress was going to be £790!! We then went to ikea got the cotbed, matress/matress pad, shelving unit/changing station, wardrobe and some storage things for £290!!

Best tip I learned is be organised.

Newborns usually feed and nap. So after baby has been changed, fed and napped, pop baby down and get stuff ready for the next shift, ie bib nappy etc. when baby is ready for bath again wait till baby is napping, get together towel, nappy, clothes, bottle, burp cloth etc.

Storage boxes are a life saver. We had one in the early days in the living room with nappies, wipes, wool, top tail bowl, cream etc. we now have two one for toys bt only one is ideal at the beginning. Great for keeping everything in the one area as when baby suddenly needs changed or fed you find yourself scrambling about like a headless chicken. Also great to keep baby's things neat and tidy as u will toting ur baby will take over yr living room. I chuck all Jackson's stuff in his toy box and changing box and both go under the side table out of sight but easly to pull back if he suddenly needs changed or wants other toys.

I found burp clothes better at the beginning than bibs, all Jackson's bibs were huge on him and he always tried to pull them over his face, so we used more burp clothes.

My best tool when J was born was the relax app I downloaded from the app store, it's free and plays nature sounds as well as white noise and u pick what noises you wanna play at the same time even plays underwater and immersed at same time so mimics womb noises (saves buying Ewan the sheep). Jackson loved this we used to do bath bottle bed and put this on, he would be out in 5mins. Deffo worth a download.

My bath is a great bath aswell because Jackson is 7m, last measured was 28.5 inches and still fits lying down in his bath although you can use it when he's sitting up by sitting at the bottom like so http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/i...eo5&sigi=141cgbrs1&.crumb=j1IYAgHaYW3&fr=ipad same bath as u lynds I think (ur link came up an iPhone when I clicked it?) Fab baths! I am giving mine to my friend to borrow but will be taking it back for next baby.

We had a micro steriliser which was cheap and sooo easy and quick to use. We now have a dishwasher.

I would only bother with a changing table if you have a bad back or something. We had a mat and after u have a baby you tend to get sore joints after a few weeks and mine was mostly my elbows from feeding and knees from bending down and up to change J. So if u have bought a changing table, please use it because no one tells you about the agonising joints post partum.

Don't buy toys.

Only use sleepsuits/baby grows in the early days, convenient, cheap and comfy.

If people offer to buy, give them something you need. My aunt got my toiletries. I have a massive drawer full in the toilet. We have ever needed to restock we aren't even half way through them yet! I personally love johnsons night time range. We have used this on J since he was tiny and he's always silky soft and smells yum, plus it helps him sleep better.

Don't buy a Moses basket. I did. But won't next time round. We bought a Moses, a cradle and cot. By the time J was 8 weeks he slept through so was in his cot in the nursery. So the crib and Moses got 8 weeks use. We also bought a carrycot which hardly got used because J was a winter baby we rarely went out if we did it was the carseat we used. So next time round bub can nap in his/er pram carrycot to get most usage.

If you have a pregnancy pillow this can help in the early days with feeding. When Jackson had reflux I got rarely any sleep and wuld be so tired my arms would ache I used my pregnancy pillow it came in soo handy.

Nappy free time reduces nappy rashes I find. Since J was a couple month old we did bare bum time each night before bath and he never has had a rash. (if u have a boy lay a towel after the mat incase he wees)

Finally, don't be afraid to accept help when offered. Always have a bit of time for you. Cherish baby and kiss as many times as you can. I now fight with Jackson to get kisses and cuddles unless he wants LOL.

Wows. Lotta tips.

Xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Oooh

Another thing I found great and very useful for longest with J is his lil doughnut from mother care. Did him from NB he's 7m and still using it as a sort of sit up play pen type thing.

Have a look all the ways it can go!

xxxxx

Attachments

• doughnut1.jpg
    doughnut1.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 46
  • doughnut2.jpg
    doughnut2.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 45
  • doughnut3.jpg
    doughnut3.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 45
  • doughnut4.jpg
    doughnut4.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 46
Oooh

Another thing I found great and very useful for longest with J is his lil doughnut from mother care. Did him from NB he's 7m and still using it as a sort of sit up play pen type thing.

Have a look all the ways it can go!

xxxxx

Ah he's gorgeous :)

Thanks, ill maybe send these to mother care, see if he will be able to appear in the catalogue modeling the doughnut LOL

xxxxx

Some fab tips here ladies think i will need to get my notepad out and start jotting things down!!

Michelle. x

I never use PF on my computer, decided to today and glad I did because I found this thread.

Thanks ladies :)

I read baby books and websites before LO was born, and to be honest it didnt help me much - when LO first arrived i was still sat in the hospital wondering what on earth i was supposed to do, in a tired and slightly panicky oh-my-goodness-im-responsible-for-an-entirely-new-human-being kind of way :)

For the first few weeks all you need to remember is to feed your LO every 2 hours (even if theyre asleep because they wont always wake up when theyre hungry) and change their nappy just before or just after their feed.
If they cry then they will need feeding, changing, or cuddling - or all three :) Thats pretty much all there is to it, apart from wiping their face with cooled boiled kettle water and cotton wool every day. And a bath once a week.

You cant spoil a baby that young, or develop bad habits, so just go with it and dont worry - if they need to nap on you then let them, if they need lots of cuddles its fine, feed them as much as they want etc etc.

My LO cried at everything that involved removing his clothes, ie changing clothes, bath time, nappy changes - think he stopped at around 4 or 5 weeks - everything/everyone told me how to do these things but nobody warned me he would cry through them.

You will probably cry a lot in the first few weeks, its ok, most of us do.

Put a towel in the bottom of the baby bath to stop your LO sliding everywhere.

I agree with the bib comment, we got some and we still never use them. LO has never liked them. Burp cloths are much more useful - but dont get muslin, they dont absorb enough, i just got some cheap flannels and hand towels to use. If in doubt, spill some water on your kitchen counter then use a burp cloth to wipe it up and see if it soaks it all up, if it does, buy more :)

Put burp cloths in every room.

Im another person that got some plastic storage tubs, theyre brilliant, great for keeping LO's things in so theyre easy to tidy away/get to - we have one filled with nappies and his changing mat etc. Also its great if you have one for times when you need to tidy quickly and you can just shove everything in the tub and put the tub out of the way.

Use a towel or blanket to pad things out if they put your LO in the chin to chest position.

We found our baby swing to be amazing, wish we had got it earlier - LO isnt in it a huge amount but i can pop him in it for ten minutes when something needs doing, and he's perfectly happy. And these days he's too heavy for me to rock him for more than a couple of minutes (i have a bad back) so i can pop him in there to do some of the work for me (then when i pick him up again it usually only takes a minute before he starts to fall asleep). Sometimes its the only thing that will settle him. Love it.

Oh and i just remembered, if you have visitors in the first month, make them bring food for you :) I think most people will like the fact that youve asked them, makes them feel needed and useful.

Also, if your OH is at work all day, get him to make/buy a sandwich for you in the morning, so you can have it ready to just grab and eat at lunch time.
Make sure you have lots of healthier snacks that you can grab and eat without any or much preparation, i seemed to just graze for the first couple of months and didnt seem to have time to cook anything. And as i think somebody else said, make sure you always have a bottle of water near by.

I don't agree with the feeding every 2 hours thing! My baby never fed every 2 hours, ever! And they will wake when they're hungry! All babies are different; I spent the first few weeks panicking something was wrong because she slept 4/5 hour night stretches from the beginning, but she slept because she was tired, and woke when she was hungry.

Exactly the same. My DD didn't need fed every 2hrs either. She needed fed every 4hrs and would wake up to be fed. I've never fed her in her sleep.

Tapatalking from my blackberry!

Sorry, another one who disagrees with the 2 hours thing here!

James had slight Jaundice and we were told to wake him for a feed if he went over 4 hours (he never did as a teeny little baby).

He was about 3 hours from a week old, and my God I'd have rather poked my own eyes out than wake the poor little screamer for a feed. He was a really vocal newborn. No moaning, no warning just ear splitting screams if something displeased him.

This leads me on very nicely to the whole "never wake a sleeping baby" unless you absolutely have to. Dr's appointments and the day we registered him are the only times I woke him as a small bub.

I do agree about the baby books, seriously nothing can prepare you for the whirlwind that is a newborn so don't waste your time - do something nice or read a fun book instead.

Same with baby books. Babies do things when they are ready and not before.... Some baby book telling you baby "should" be sitting at 6 months will just stress you if bub isn't!

I did buy 'The Wonder Weeks' but even that tells you what baby should be doing.

xxxxxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back