Little tips!

Also to the ladies that breastfeed make sure you have a large glass of water, a few snacks (cereal bars are good) and the remote all within arms length before settling down to feed. Max used to have mammoth feeds at times and feeding made me really thirsty and speaking of feeding I found lansinoh nipple cream was amazing xxx

Last edited:
This baby bath was a godsend for us. Only stopped using it at 6mnths! I gives you one hand free to do the washing. When we were at a mates house and used their normal bath it was a nightmare. So slippery I didnt want to let either hand go!

http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-acqua-two-stage-ergo-bath-pearl-white/4538472/type-i/

stock up on muslins. We didnt use bibs until a few months old. Muslins were everywhere though.

dont get bibs with plastic backs. They just stick to LO and dont absorb the fluid that gets underneath

dont bother with top and tail bowl. Just wash the top end first!

remember a lot of things you wont use till a few months in, like the changing table (you will more than likely use the floor in the living room for the first while) and pretty much everything in the nursery. So no need to get it all ready for the birth. Spread the cost!

best tip is to know that you will get the baby blues after the birth, and when your milk comes in a few days later you will start to feel better. I used to burst into tears as soon as I opened door to midwife in the morning or if anyone asked me how I was.
also the baby probably wont sleep in their moses basket for the first few weeks. They will only sleep on you or your hubby. This is normal. They like the warmth and the heartbeat. So DONT worry!

also limit your visitors. Especially if breastfeeding. They can put you off and make it all the more difficult for you.

and take all the help you are offered. When you are dog tired after a long labour and not slept for 3 days, trust me. You will let the mother in law wash your knickers! x

Last edited:
There are nearly new baby sales which are awesome for second hand stuff x

Love this thread!
I have nothing to contribute, but I'm taking plenty from it.
Thanks ladies! :D

Ooh the mention of the Lansinoh Cream reminded me - If you get the Lansinoh cream for breastfeeding then you dont need a seperate nappy cream because you can use that. Its also a fantastic lip balm and a friend once told me that its really good for putting on LO's chin and neck when theyre teething and dribbling loads to prevent a rash - because its nipple cream it doesnt matter if any gets in LO's mouth :)

I know everyone is different but i found my big changing mat a waste of money, it never gets used - we always just use the little travel changing mat because its so easy to quickly slide under LO no matter where he is and change him. And i agree with the tip of having nappies and burp cloths in every room.

Also agree with only getting sleepsuits and vests (and i'd say no more than 12 of each, we had so many that LO had grown out of them before they'd been put in the wash, lol, he didnt wear half of them), and with the comment about visitors - really wish i'd just put my foot down and told people to wait a week, thought i'd be fine, but with my hormones all over the place etc it was all a little overwhelming.

As I first time mummy I think this tread is a god send! Thanks ladies x

My lo has always been a great sleeper since day 1. I panicked so much in those early days as all you hear about is sleep deprivation and waking every 2 hours... My lo woke once all night! Sometimes babies just cotton on from early days the difference between night and day! They will wake if they're hungry! I used to give her her last feed in the bedroom, in the dark (black out blinds), no talking to her, quiet snuggled up to me in bed. She would then go straight down. Dunno if that helped her. Also napping during the day I would make sure we were still "loud" - so tv on, talking, music etc so again she knew it wasn't her big night time stretch.

When it comes to feeding. If you have to ff don't pay too much attention to the guide on the side of the box. My lo was drinking double what the box said; but she was just stocking up for the night! Again I panicked about that!

In the early days your lo might well develop a "cold". It's mostly them getting all the mucus up from birth. I ended up at out of hours docs for this as it sounded horrible!

Don't under estimate missing being pregnant! Even my hubby was upset that I wasn't pregnant anymore! We felt quite down that first week!

Don't bother with nice cute bibs, just get those old fashioned cheap fabric ones; I find they do the job much better!

Download the wonder weeks app! It'll really help reassure you that everything is fine.

I agree best to get used to baby napping with noise / daylight in the daytime. For us, darkness and quiet was reserved for night-time (I have never put James in his cot in the day-time but he settles fantastically at night)

Don't be too keen to get baby into a routine, the first 6 weeks are going to be insane but it will settle down.

Don't worry about housework, it can wait. I used to find myself cleaning when James slept instead of resting myself :wall2:

xxxxxx

Loving this thread too, especially as a first time mum so sorry I have nothing to share! X

This thread is awesome, loving it!

This baby bath was a godsend for us. Only stopped using it at 6mnths! I gives you one hand free to do the washing. When we were at a mates house and used their normal bath it was a nightmare. So slippery I didnt want to let either hand go!

http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-acqua-two-stage-ergo-bath-pearl-white/4538472/type-i/

stock up on muslins. We didnt use bibs until a few months old. Muslins were everywhere though.

dont get bibs with plastic backs. They just stick to LO and dont absorb the fluid that gets underneath

dont bother with top and tail bowl. Just wash the top end first!

remember a lot of things you wont use till a few months in, like the changing table (you will more than likely use the floor in the living room for the first while) and pretty much everything in the nursery. So no need to get it all ready for the birth. Spread the cost!

best tip is to know that you will get the baby blues after the birth, and when your milk comes in a few days later you will start to feel better. I used to burst into tears as soon as I opened door to midwife in the morning or if anyone asked me how I was.
also the baby probably wont sleep in their moses basket for the first few weeks. They will only sleep on you or your hubby. This is normal. They like the warmth and the heartbeat. So DONT worry!

also limit your visitors. Especially if breastfeeding. They can put you off and make it all the more difficult for you.

and take all the help you are offered. When you are dog tired after a long labour and not slept for 3 days, trust me. You will let the mother in law wash your knickers! x

Could not agree more with everything in this post!

To add, if you breastfeed, the 6 week growth spurt is horrible and will make you want to give up but rest assured your baby is getting enough milk and will only cluster feed for a few days!

If you don't already know, learn how to use your pram/travel system before baby comes. Otherwise you'll end up like me desperately YouTubing a video on how to do unfold it whilst baby is crying waiting to go out.

Stock up on nipple cream and nipple pads - you leak so much in the first few weeks.

As a first time mum this thread is fantastic!!! Thank you for all these fab tips!! already noted quite a few of these down :)

Brilliant thread! It will be my first time as a mummy too so I don't really have anything major to add apart from a piece of advice given to us recently; wait for the sales if possible!

Also, netmums nearly new section on the local to you part is good for a gander. I bought a nursing chair in good condition for £45 opposed to £160. Well worth it.

oh also if you are breastfeeding. A few days in your baby will have its first explosive nappy. It will sound like a big massive wet fart and you will hear the poop splatter inside the nappy. And you may get 4 of these in the space of a few hours. Its usually after your milk is in properly, and after baby has got rid of all the meconium

dont think your baby has diarrhea and rush them down to A&E at 4am in the morning, with a skittery nappy in hand to show the doctors............ like we did! The doctors checked her out and said there was a simple diagnosis. Newparentitis. Mortified! haha

the breastfeeding poop is usually runny and "seedy". Tiny little bits in it. Nobody told me this.

another tip is dont bother with a moses basket. Yes they are cute, but only last a few months at best. Then you need to either move to a crib or a cot.

out bedroom wasnt big enough to fit her cot in, so we had to buy a crib. She was in that till 6mnths then we moved her to her cot.

you can always use the carrycot of your pram in the living room then move baby to the crib at bedtime if you like x

wow this is brilliant, I have to disagree with the baby bath part though, it's one of the first things we bought as I was never very confident bathing Doodles in the big bath, it's also handy to have one if you have another LO as while their in the bath, you can be bathing baby in the baby bath on the bathroom cupboard/cabinet while still keeping a close eye :D huge time saver x

I wont buy plastic back bibs because they bloody melt in the dryer! And they don't absorb and it runs onto baby. I wouldn't bother with slings if you have a bigger baby, mine killed my back and was only used for a few weeks so not worth a lot of money. (just my view however)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back