Little Munchkin Maisie Jayne's Birth Story

JensBump

Reaction score
Finally getting a minute to sit down and write this while madam sleeps in her pram beside me - I still can't quite believe she is mine - totally besotted with her :love::love:

This is going to be a bit of an essay as really want to remember it all.

About midnight on Wednesday 1st Feb my waters went with a pop as I leaned out of bed to get my cup of tea - couldn't quite believe it so told my DH just to take his time and I would see if anything else happened. The waters kept leaking so me, DH and my mum packed up and headed to the hospital - I did have it in my head that I would prob be sent home as I wasn't having any consistent surges.

Got checked and told I was 2 cms - so got sent home and told to take some pain killers and get some sleep - I was booked in for induction at 6pm on the Thursday.

Next day I walked and bounced like mad in an attempt to start myself - also listened to my hypnobirthing CD loads of times - about 4pm while a friend was visiting my first real surge hit and I just knew this is it - told her I had to start getting ready for hospital and went and stood in the shower with it running on my back - so good :)

Had 9 surges in the car on the way to hosital - 40 min drive - that was one of the worst bits as I couldn't move around. When I was checked I was told I was 3cms and so still had to be induced and because of this I couldn't get into the pool - though whether they would have let me in with my waters gone is not clear anyway. First pessary went in at 7pm and that really kicked things up a level - I listened to the CD, bounced on the ball and swayed my hips as well as practiced the breathing techniques from hypnobirthing - I think it all helped.

I had all my labour in my back and I hadn't expected this at all - Miss Maisie was back to back - my DH managed to turned her (he has had practice with labouring cows LOL) but by the time she turned I was exhausted so I opted for the pethidine - best option for me and I have no regrets. When they checked me before the injection I was 5cms - 2 hours later (which I remember nothing about) I was 10cms and ready to push.

I must say that I would not have got so far without the support of my brilliant DH and mum - a supportive team is so important- DH put counter pressure on my back my mum wiped my head and got me drinks of water.

I was given 5 mins to get my head together and my initial thought was right I will breathe her down as explained in the hypnobirthing book but then the midwife told me Maisie was getting tired (DH told me after her heartbeat dropped to 70) - at that point everything went out the window and I asked the midwife to give me directions to get her out quickly.

Pushing is totally different from the rest of labour - it felt good to be doing something - she came out in 40 mins - I felt her head crowning - I thought I was tearing but then didn't care enough to stop - my mum kept me cool and DH got to see his daughter entering the world :) I got away with 2 grazes - so surprised as it felt like I had torn - the midwife was brilliant with her guidance.

She was placed straight on my chest - I asked them to delay cord clamping which they did for 5 mins but then gave me the injection because of being induced - DH took Maisie and put her skin to skin while I birthed the placenta - I couldn't concentrate on that while I gazed at her LOL

It came out in 7 mins and then my wee lady latched on for her first feed - she was so alert - she is feeding like a champion and has put her birth weight back on already. Brought the placenta home and plan to bury it in the garden under a rose bush for Maisie.

Although my labour did not go to plan - I have no regrets - even thinking about when we will give Maisie a wee brother or sister LOL

I am very grateful to all the ladies on this forum for their advice - it has been really important to me over the course of my pregnancy xo

Attachments

• MJ_small.jpg
    MJ_small.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 21
  • MJ_small2.jpg
    MJ_small2.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Sounds like a lovey birth although not what u had expected.

I hope mine goes as smoothly when Pip decides to arrive.

Where r the pics? :lol:

Awwww what a lovely birth story and your mum and DH sound wonderful! You did a wonderful job sweetie - congrats! xxxxx

Great story, and congrats it's made me very excited to meet my little girl now! Just a sneaky extra question - what position did you give birth in the end All I keep seeing on videos is giving birth on your back and I'm guessing that must be because you're too tired to hold yourself up in a lot of cases? Just interested to know, if you get the chance to reply. xxx

Lovely birth story! It sounds like you coped really good! That gives me hope that I might manage as well!!!

xx

Lovely to read - thank you for sharing! :) xx

love the bit about the labouring cows...lol

well done xx

Great story, and congrats it's made me very excited to meet my little girl now! Just a sneaky extra question - what position did you give birth in the end All I keep seeing on videos is giving birth on your back and I'm guessing that must be because you're too tired to hold yourself up in a lot of cases? Just interested to know, if you get the chance to reply. xxx

I was on my side with DH holding my top leg - I asked to get on all fours but the midwife thought I would be too tired - I could not have laid on my back but on my side was quite comfortable :)

She's gorgeous. Congratulations!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Fab birth story..well done hun, you did amazinly well.
What a beautiful name for a gorgeous little girl :love:

Congratulations! She is a cutie. Great story, thank you for sharing. Sorry for asking what might be a silly question by why did you ask for the cord clamping to be delayed? Does it have a benefit?
xx

Congratulations! She is a cutie. Great story, thank you for sharing. Sorry for asking what might be a silly question by why did you ask for the cord clamping to be delayed? Does it have a benefit?
xx

Yes when the baby is born between 25% and 40% of their blood is in the placenta so in order to let that transfer the best option is delayed cord clamping - helps with their iron count - see this article http://midwifethinking.com/2011/02/10/cord-blood-collection-confessions-of-a-vampire-midwife/

xx

Yes when the baby is born between 25% and 40% of their blood is in the placenta so in order to let that transfer the best option is delayed cord clamping - helps with their iron count - see this article http://midwifethinking.com/2011/02/10/cord-blood-collection-confessions-of-a-vampire-midwife/

Ahhh, I had no idea - thanks for the info xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back