Light periods?

MrsS15

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Just wanted to pick your brains. I was saying about this on my journal but wanted to ask what you all think...

I came off contraception 13 months ago and my periods were every 28 days and fairly light, lasting about 2-3 days but a proper period. Recently though they've been getting lighter. My most recent period on Thursday was a day early (13dpo) and lasted 2 days. It was extremely light, only needed a panty liner both days. I changed it throughout the day obviously but really didn't need to. I then started spotting for a couple of days and now, on day 6 I'm still having some brown when I wipe :roll: What's going on?? I've never spotted after a period and never ever have I still had this on day 6.

Also, I'm now really worried it's affecting my chances of getting pregnant and possibly holding onto the pregnancy (mc in November). I know your period is the lining shedding so surely if my period is this light my lining must be bare thin?? How could a baby imbed in that?

Am I panicking about nothing or do you think I should be worried? xx

Last edited:
Hi MrsS.
I didnt want to read and run but unfortunately I dont have any answers for you ... I would suggest seeing your GP and if they are concered they might get you in for a scan.

I don't know the answer but try to build up the lining by taking Selenium supplements. Also using a warm compress like a wheatie bag or hot water bottle on your tummy leading up to ovulation.

Also get hold of a copy of Zita West fertility and conception as she's got loads of info on supplements to encourage the womb lining to grow

I can't really help with this, but I would see your Dr for starters.

Do you spot after your period during your 2ww or is it just before and after? Your hormones might be a little out of place, have you had a hormone profile recently to check since you started ttc?

Another thing that springs to mind is do you take anything for your period pains? I take ibuprofen and it definitely makes it shorter and lighter for me.

I was 2 weeks late recently and I had the weirdest AF ever, 6 days and spotting but I put this down to an off AF but if yours is constantly like this I'd get it looked in to x

Edit - Echoing Elle too, brazil nuts are an awesome source of selenium. I try grab a handful to munch on after AF and during 2ww.

Last edited:
ok just got my zita west book out.
Says Vitamin A and E, Selenium and bioflavonoids are all important for building up the endometrium. Take a supplement of co - enzyme Q10 to help oxygenate the blood and improve blood circulation generally. vitamin B1 is also important for buiilding up the blood.

I have very light AF too, I have tried everything to improve my lining but the last few months ice been quite lazy and haven't kept up with my vitamins etc

These are a few natural remedies for a thin lining
Beetroot juice is high in nitrates which incourages blood flow to the uterus to thicken lining
Raspberry leaf tea, tones and thickens lining
Royal jelly for lining and egg quality

xxxxxxx

Thanks ladies, I never thought of trying vitamins.. stupidly! I'll maybe go see the GP and mention it anyway but I'll definitely try your suggestions. I'm taking pregnacare plus, it's got Selenium in it, plus loads of Vit A, E, D etc. Do you think it would okay to take vitamins on top of this? I'm not a fan of nuts but I'll give them a try. Anything is worth it!

I also use a hot water bottles a lot, especially this month as I had a kidney infection and it was the only thing that helped lol! I never take ibuprofen as I don't really get any period pains. Is that just as strange actually? :eh:

Spirited, I've never had that profile done. Maybe another thing I could ask GP?

I never spot, ever. This month I had it for 2 days after my period, and now still for a further 2 days there's some brown when I wipe after I pee. So 6 days in total. This is completely new!

Hate this second guessing my body. If I wasn't TTC I probably wouldn't give this a second thought :(

Thank you all for replying xx

Yes definitely ask for a hormone profile, when we started back in July it's the first thing I did and they won't say no to you. They look at things like fsh, lh, oestradiol and progesterone (21 day test to see if you're oving) and then thyroid.

There's lots of food you can eat like kiwi and pineapple ect that all contain helpful things. I wouldn't worry too much, I suffer from really heavy AF so it's a blessing when it's 4 days. FX for you x

Last edited:
I actually have super light periods which last 1-2 days, this has been for a year or two now so I guess its normal for me, I know you periods can change as you get older (some women get heavier ones and some lighter).
I did ask my GP about this and she said that as long as they were regular and I was in fact bleeding every month that was what was important....? No idea if thats right or not!

I take regular conception vitamens, and COQ10, I do actually have Royal Jelly tablets as well but not got round to taking them yet, and I am planning on trying reflexology! I have heard Acupuncture is pretty good for blood flow...although a bit pricey.

Last edited:
I also have light periods. Mine is related to my pcos. I don't spot either but my progesterone levels are usually fairly low. My consultant doesn't seem concerned about my lack of lining (and I've had tracking scans that have shown it at an ok level and then followed by a light period, so I think you can have sufficient lining and still have light periods).

Hi there,

Just to say that I am 35 and had been trying for nearly 2 years for my second child. In the last 10 months of that, my periods became very light and lasted from 1-2 days and extended to 30 days. I also started to have extreme vaginal dryness. I thought I was perimenapausal to be honest. I was due to see an endocrineologist and then fell pregnant! I had been through all fertility tests and so had my husband which had shown I had polycystic ovaries but was ovulating. My husband had a 4% morphology rate but neither findings were ground breaking really.

I must say both my husband and I had been taking the Mary Glenville recommended supplement s for 10 weeks when I fell pregnant and I had one session of reflexology the week of ovulating every month. Do make sure you have your FSH, LH, progesterone and estradiol levels checked though.

Hi there,

Just to say that I am 35 and had been trying for nearly 2 years for my second child. In the last 10 months of that, my periods became very light and lasted from 1-2 days and extended to 30 days. I also started to have extreme vaginal dryness. I thought I was perimenapausal to be honest. I was due to see an endocrineologist and then fell pregnant! I had been through all fertility tests and so had my husband which had shown I had polycystic ovaries but was ovulating. My husband had a 4% morphology rate but neither findings were ground breaking really.

I must say both my husband and I had been taking the Mary Glenville recommended supplement s for 10 weeks when I fell pregnant and I had one session of reflexology the week of ovulating every month. Do make sure you have your FSH, LH, progesterone and estradiol levels checked though.

Wow what a great story! Lovely to hear positive stories like this, massive congratulations to you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back