Lifting in pregnancy

DanniiM85

Reaction score
Hi,

Im a 23wks +5 and I work as a receptionist in a dental surgery.

Every day I have to file away paperwork into individual patient files which are kept in a filing unit behind me.

There are 4 shelves per cabinet (x3): overhead height, head height, chest height and waist height and they do weigh a considerable amount.

I currently don't have any assistance and these jobs need to be done otherwise it'll be utter chaos behind the desk.

My question is: should I be lifting at all? I suffer with SPD (a nightly thing) and currently undergoing physio.

Am I doing any harm to myself or baby?

Thanks in advance

D x

I work in a hospital and deal with casenotes and they are all shelved and above me.

The highest I can stand on is a kick stool. Even then my colleagues help.

Other than that heavy documents should be transported via a trolley.

Id ask for a desk assessment, theyll be able to tell you what you should/and are capable of lifting.

xxxx

I work in a hospital and deal with casenotes and they are all shelved and above me.

The highest I can stand on is a kick stool. Even then my colleagues help.

Other than that heavy documents should be transported via a trolley.

Id ask for a desk assessment, theyll be able to tell you what you should/and are capable of lifting.

xxxx

I work in a GP surgery and deal with casenotes there I need to stand on a dalek as I call them, the little round thing to reach up to the top of the storage unit. I am really short and wonder when I am pregnant if its ok to be standing on that?

I think Ive heard someone call them tht before? I have a wee round black one with heels and when you stand on it , it stands still with like one step up? I used to use it to then climb onto my desk to reach my shelves properly. But I can use this as I can reach to get a bundle safely. Im not allowed on the ladders tht go 3 up, so i cant get notes from medical records, they need to do that. And not allowed to climb on my desk too. Just use your logic if its too high and your struggling to reach and lift safely or a lower shelving system to store the notes if no one can get them. Im 5ft 5 and can reach to get say a bundle of 3 but anymore I ask incase it all topples. I also stopped using my top shelf.

Tbh, I do chillax a but more in with lifting because at home. If shit needs done it needs done. I just had to lug home 3 bags of shopping, and a hand bag :lol: plus my 3 year old still expects to be lifted from time to time. Baths etc, if im home alone I just get on with it. However i chill when OH gets home.

Dont over exert yourself, everything in modertion. I know ladies still doing body pump pregnant if its something you do daily, shouldnt be an issue.

xxxx

A desk assessment sounds like a good idea. It might be something you do as a daily task, but if it is something where one little slip could lead to a fall as you're not as balanced as before with a bump etc., then it's not worth it. It's their responsibility to sort you out with another temporary option.
My husband is always telling me off as I'm always lifting my almost 3 year old (15kg). That's my own choice though and would be my fault, whereas work related, I wouldn't be as lax.

Personally, I Siu,d get someone else to do it and not risk it, especially with SPD. Your employers have to make adjustments for you during pregnancy, so if you're uncomfortable, you have to say something. Bubba and you are more important than anything. Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back