life-changing tip for pumpers!

Laura1992

Reaction score
I am sure loads of people do this already, but after struggling with being tethered to the sofa for hours per day, holding a double electric breastpump to me and getting back pain and a numb bum, I wanted to save someone else from doing the same.

We have just cut nipple holes in an old bra, big enough that the funnel goes through but not too big as it needs to be held in place. Then we just attached the pump and realised that we can put batteries into it instead of plugging it into the mains! Life is changed, I can walk around again and I'm hands free!! :dance:

I pumped for 8 months with my first, you can buy a bra from Amazon designed specifically for holding pumps in place and I had the medela freestyle pump which is wire free.

Other top tips:
Put lansinoh on the suction cup of the pump so there is less friction between nipples and pump.
You don't need to sterilise your pump after every session, as long as you put whole section in a poly bag in the fridge then you'll be ok to use it for a few sessions
X

I've seen the ones you can buy, but our home made one did the trick! Thanks for the lansinoh tip!

No problem :)
I see you are pumping for twins - are you exclusive breast feeding or doing some formula? I've read all the stuff on trying to increase supply as mine dwindled when my periods came back so if you want to try anything to increase supply the top things that seem to work for people are eating oats and taking Fenugeek supplements x

Sounds like a good idea Laura, thanks for the tip! :)

No problem :)
I see you are pumping for twins - are you exclusive breast feeding or doing some formula? I've read all the stuff on trying to increase supply as mine dwindled when my periods came back so if you want to try anything to increase supply the top things that seem to work for people are eating oats and taking Fenugeek supplements x

I'm trying to move towards ebf after formula top ups started day 1 due to blood sugar issue in one twin, we were given the choice of formula top ups or feeding tube. We're probably 50/50 at the moment with breastmilk and formula (they are 10 days old). Supply slowly increasing from lots of pumping, but I was looking for fenugeek yesterday, Holland & Barrett had run out!

I actually saw it in the spice section at the supermarket the other day which I didn't even know it was used for! You could probably order it online from Holland and Barrett. Have you made sure to pump between midnight and 4am? That's supposed to be the time your body produces most but I found it so hard to get up then! Ebf twins will be quite some achievement if you manage it! In my area breast feeding numbers are extremely low and when I exclusively pumped for my daughter the Heath visitors hadn't come across anyone else that managed as long as I did (8 months) and then this time when I was able to ebf my son from the breast they were again impressed because so few people go past 6 months - they said it's literally single figures of people here. It's such a shame because it's so easy and such a nice bond. I'm definitely not a crazed 'breastfeeding brigade' type though - I just go with whatever keeps baby happy and tell all my friends the same.

You're doing an amazing job by the sounds of it x

I actually saw it in the spice section at the supermarket the other day which I didn't even know it was used for! You could probably order it online from Holland and Barrett. Have you made sure to pump between midnight and 4am? That's supposed to be the time your body produces most but I found it so hard to get up then! Ebf twins will be quite some achievement if you manage it! In my area breast feeding numbers are extremely low and when I exclusively pumped for my daughter the Heath visitors hadn't come across anyone else that managed as long as I did (8 months) and then this time when I was able to ebf my son from the breast they were again impressed because so few people go past 6 months - they said it's literally single figures of people here. It's such a shame because it's so easy and such a nice bond. I'm definitely not a crazed 'breastfeeding brigade' type though - I just go with whatever keeps baby happy and tell all my friends the same.

You're doing an amazing job by the sounds of it x

Oh yes, I pump every 2 hours generally, day and night. Especially at night because I get way more out then. It's a killer but it is making a difference. I feel sort of guilty for not bf on the boob much, but I found it so hard to latch them at the same time and really hard on my back which I have problems with. Feeding them one at a time is nearly impossible as it relies on them being hungry at different times and second feeder doesn't get as much milk obviously. It's difficult. I feel bad that they aren't getting that bonding time on my boob very often because I just put it in the bottle.

Last edited:
Both my babies only ever fed from one side each feed, I think somehow my body just adapted to provide a full feed each side so in that respect I guess I could have fed twins but I can't imagine how difficult getting two on at the same time would be! My little girl went to totally expressed milk from about 6 weeks as I had so much trouble with thrush and other problems. She was very happy with the bottle and I was relieved as i had hated the sensation of feeding (I despised the feeling of pumping too but was determined) but now having successfully fed my son from the boob I know the sensation problem was actually related to the thrush issues and not a dislike of feeding normally. I have enjoyed that time but I don't think it has affected my daughter not to have had that time - I'm just glad she got my milk for that long. Pumping every two hours must be tough - I remember it all though! Towards the end I had managed to get to the point where I would only have to pump four times a day and could get enough for a full day out but I think that's fairly unusual - not sure how I achieved it!! X

That's interesting about feeding one side, Rose.

I got some Fenugreek today! I ordered it from Amazon in the end. My supply is jumping up nicely though, I'm up to pumping over a litre per day, which is enough for one and bit babies xx

That's brilliant! I'm sure your supply will increase even more because I used to pump a litre at the height of my daughter's feeding so presumably you'd need double that! I think they say that babies peak at about 30oz a day. My daughter never had more than 5oz bottles every 3 hours and was totally satisfied if that's at all helpful (obviously I mean up until 4 months when I weaned her and she started to have less.) x

That's brilliant! I'm sure your supply will increase even more because I used to pump a litre at the height of my daughter's feeding so presumably you'd need double that! I think they say that babies peak at about 30oz a day. My daughter never had more than 5oz bottles every 3 hours and was totally satisfied if that's at all helpful (obviously I mean up until 4 months when I weaned her and she started to have less.) x

Mine are both major eaters, they take about 110ml per feed on average, sometimes every 3 hours but today they've basically continually fed. They are only 18 days old! We are pacing their feeding to stop them from guzzling and spewing it up, but they do seem to need the higher end of average amount +. I'm on fenugreek too now, but I'm definitely noticing a good steady increase still in my milk. Pumping as I write :D xx

Last edited:
You should be so proud of yourself Laura I found pumping a miserable experience and didn't manage for long.. Serious hats off for getting that supply up for the twins, you're one determined Mumma! xxx

I second the miserable experience! By the time I was at the 8 month stage I was in tears from it but still determined - definitely think if I'd been doing it for twins I couldn't have coped!

I'm assuming you're using a double pump Laura? What brand is working for you? X

Thanks Kate! It means a lot hearing from others that know what it's like!

Yes Rose, electric double pump has been a must! I got a second hand double medela swing maxi and then just got new bottles and things to attach. It works really well, takes about 20 mins to empty all the milk out, but I usually go for half an hour just to let them know that I need more milk next time lol. Well done you going to 8 months + with it :O I hope to carry on until they are one, but I'm trying not to overthink it because that's a daunting thought xx

Last edited:
I have the medela freestyle and it was great - I had the tommee tippee at first but once I realised I was going to be exclusively pumping I splashed out and didn't regret it.

Totally agree with not overthinking, I found I just had to think of it a month at a time or similar so I'd be thinking 'let me get to three months' then 'let me get to weaning' then it was 'ok let's get to 6 months' (I weaned early) then I finished with 'let's get as far as we can now milk supply is dropping'. I found that was the only way I could do it rather than trying to think too far ahead x

Rose (and anyone else that's pumped long term before) - did you get to pump less once supply established? Or will this 3 hourly thing be for as long as I pump? xx

I don't know if I'm just odd but I managed to get to the point where I only did it 4 times a day and was still getting the litre out that I needed. I was very full by the time I pumped but I was definitely producing enough x

Thanks! I've decreased to 4-hourly to see if it makes a difference and supply is still going up gradually! Up to over 1.3litres yesterday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back